Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,538 times

Advertisements

For others who are not as fortunate to be able to migrate? I am not saying there is an obligation to build their country but it seems that they are not commited to their country. Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 05:29 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,380 times
.... as somebody who immigrated here from an industrialized region with plenty of American, British and Australian immigrants running around, what?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugargay View Post
For others who are not as fortunate to be able to migrate? I am not saying there is an obligation to build their country but it seems that they are not commited to their country. Why is this?
I would say because most immigrants are not wealthy and life is tough enough wherever they are, just trying to make it.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:55 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Because individuals look out for themselves and helping the country is only good to do if it helps yourself.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:41 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Maybe because other nations meddle in other nation;s affairs. Therefore, any real effort at changing an uplifting their nation goes down the tube.....

Old 03-31-2013, 07:37 PM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times
Quote:
Commitment based on the coordinates where you were born doesn't sound like a very rational idea.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Quote:
Same reason why people go trolling on the internet?

Old 03-31-2013, 09:37 PM

119 posts, read 245,339 times
Quote:

1. Troll

2. Why don't you read up on political issues and history of one or two third world countries and ask yourself what you would do if you were born there?

Old 04-01-2013, 03:06 AM

2 posts, read 8,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micio View Post
1. Troll

2. Why don't you read up on political issues and history of one or two third world countries and ask yourself what you would do if you were born there?
Firstly I am not a troll.....Secondly how are poor countries going to advance if there are no educated people sacrificing their better lives in the West and going to build something there? Would the British have reduced tax on salt in India if Ghandi didn't march to the coast?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
You should be aware that there are plenty of reasons why people emigrate - some of them may be economic or political in nature, others are much more personal and have nothing to do with economic hardships or political oppression in one's homeland.

Alas, if your question purely applies to poorer nations, the reasons are, naturally, manifold. Sometimes, the economic outlook is simply too bleak and the factors at work are too overwhelming. For those who lack the proper education or financial resources, going elsewhere might seem like the logical and "easy" solution. Of course, "easy" isn't always what it seems from abroad and the reality, for many, is anything but easy.

However, even those who are highly educated and/or financially secure often find themselves with no other option but to leave. Thus, any person who does have ambition and drive might simply look at systemic road-block after road-block where they find themselves unable to battle an uncompromising and very complex system and a long-established inflexible culture. The result, in terms of the educated population, is what has been termed brain-drain.

I am an immigrant from a very wealthy industrialized "first world" nation. While my reasons for living in the US these days are certainly of a much more personal matter, my initial reasons for moving to the US had to do with a rather restrictive and intransigent educational system in my home country. I simply could not pursue my educational goals there. In the US, however, I was deemed "exceptional" and thus, received scholarships at some of the nation's best universities all the way from my undergraduate studies to the dissertation process. At home, I was blocked from just about anything...

Thus, the established system cost my home nation a potentially valuable member. The US, being far more flexible and supportive, gained a highly educated and highly skilled resident.

Will I go back "home?" I don't think so - they didn't want what I had to offer when I was young and after some 30 years of being away, the system is still rather stuck in the past. My home country is unwilling to change that system, even though the brain-drain problem has long been recognized. Thus, I would rather repay the nation that enabled me to pursue my goals. I also certainly would like my children to have access to opportunity, rather than experience hindrances throughout their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration