Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:43 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,709,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
H1B should be scrutinized to the max. Granted there are some jobs where you cannot find a qualified candidate but in most cases there are American citizens that could use that job. The loopholes in that process needs to be closed. There has been tremendous abuse under that program.

I agree. I don't believe employers when they claim they can't find people for IT jobs. There are thousands and thousands of American people graduating every year with IT degrees. It will only get worse as time goes on. I am not sure if our current president is really going to do much about this problem. Most politicians are out of touch with the struggles of ordinary working Americans. They really don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 11:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
yes i did i took a job from y'all. i'm not gonna argue with it further.
Then stop complaining.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:19 PM

24 posts, read 17,065 times
I know people who have never been to school and they immigrated to the U.S because they won a lottery. This lottery system is a shame. We should take qualified immigrants and not lucky folks that have just won a lottery.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:02 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Then stop complaining.
and? was i complaining about you? you probably didn't notice that even though i came in on H1b, i espouse the system to be overhauled. i'm aware of abuses, but in my profession, there's less of that. it's not like we come in in droves to replace americans. but whatever. you won't listen anyway. you never read to begin with!

Old 12-06-2016, 08:12 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,064 times
Quote:
Then stop complaining.
and you're probably one of those businessmen who abuse the h1b system huh? so don't even waste your time here if you know nothing about this system, or only know of this system to your advantage

Old 12-07-2016, 07:59 AM

24,587 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu12 View Post
I know people who have never been to school and they immigrated to the U.S because they won a lottery. This lottery system is a shame. We should take qualified immigrants and not lucky folks that have just won a lottery.
The equivalent to high school is a requirement - 12 years in primary education.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:00 AM

1,186 posts, read 967,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I agree. I don't believe employers when they claim they can't find people for IT jobs. There are thousands and thousands of American people graduating every year with IT degrees.
The term 'IT degree' is too vague to really make a substantive point here. There are ads on the subway to study and become a Network Admin, which is technically an 'IT Degree' in the strictest sense. Same for a Helpdesk Support Tech. Contrast that with someone who graduates with, say, a background in applied math and computational science. My gut instinct is that there are many more of the former applicants in the unemployment pool than the latter and, indeed, the pool of unemployed grads with backgrounds in pure math, stats, CS, etc might be lower than you think, but the IT pool itself is quite broad and can encompass many types of jobs with skill sets not in high demand.

Systemic abuse of the system aside, H1b should not be used for roles like Network Admins where I would agree that there should be (and probably are) sufficient US grads to fill the role and it does not rise to the level of 'highly skilled' labor requiring an advanced degree.

Certain highly skilled roles which actually *do* require extensive, specialized knowledge (such as machine learning, for example) are currently in high demand and may require selective sourcing from other countries. Are the current candidates receiving H1B visas actually qualified in these highly specialized areas? Probably not, which is to say that H1B does probably fill a legitimate need albeit poorly and ineffectively.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:15 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
Quote:
I know what the situation is with the H1B visa. I am well aware of the widespread abuse and fraud associated with the program.

My solution would be to get rid of it altogether because the skills gap is a myth.
The gap is changing but not in the way one would hope.

“Not Sending Their Best”: World Map of IQ Drop Due to Immigration - The Unz Review

Last edited by Heidi60; 12-18-2016 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-18-2016, 12:40 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,541,391 times
Has Trump made a stand on the H1b yet? What is his position on this?

Old 12-18-2016, 02:46 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
Now they will also have an easier time in 2017, unless Trump corrects the problem.

<< USCIS Publishes Final Rule For Certain Employment-Based Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visa Programs |
New immigration rules make H-1B visa program friendlier
By Bill at December 08, 2016 22:12
Filed Under: Immigration News
WASHINGTON--USCIS has published a final rule to make H-1B visa program friendlier to the foreign workers and their families. The new regulations which will go into effect on January 17 2017, will also make U.S. employers easier to hire and retain foreigners.

The USCIS will allow terminated H1B visa holders a grace period of 60 days to either leave or sort out their paperwork for new jobs.

The rule will also prevent the revocation of I-140 by employers for those employees who have held it for more 180 days but whose services were terminated. So the employees will not lose their turn in the protracted green card process once they change over to new jobs.

Another significant change is that USCIS will automatically extend the employment authorization and validity of Employment Authorization Documents (EADs or Form I-766s) for certain individuals who apply on time to renew their EADs.This is great news for the H-4 visa holders who come as spouses of H-1B visa workers.

Please visit our work visa blog or the published final rule for more information.

The unemployment rate in U.S. is now just 4.6%. The employers are desperately looking for skilled foreign workers. It is time for you to update your career profile and pitch potential employers now!

Not all jobs are created equal!
Work Visa USA: Solution for Work Visa, Student Visa, Visa Jobs and Green Card
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration