Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 05:43 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,405,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSAWWM View Post
I actually have no clue as to how the process works. What I do know is that I should be allowed to visit my mother's house at will, regardless of what my external circumstances are...

You're playing with something very sacred. Something assured by nature. Human law that opposes nature will be fallen in time. History shows as much...

I'm talking in general dictates assuming no wrong doing on either my or my mother's end.
These sound like the uninformed musings of a millennial who thinks the world need to bend to his or her will. There is no "human right" to visit your mother. Just because you call it one does not make it so. There most certainly isn't a "human right" to visit your mother's grave (in your weird hypothetical from before).

You aren't special, you're not a snowflake, and we're not changing our laws simply so that you can hold office in a country other than ours. I don't want non-citizens to be able to freely enter my country simply by claiming "visiting mother/human right", and I'm sure the majority view is with me.

The earth is not owned by all people. I personally own my land, and as a group with my fellow townspeople we own our town, and with my fellow countrymen we own our country. I make rules that apply to my land, my town makes rules that apply to my town, and my country makes rules that apply to my country. If I don't like the rules, I can change my rules on my land, and together with a majority, I can work to change the rules in my town and my country. But I will fight to the death the notion that some stranger in another country has any right to the dirt underneath my feet simply because he wants to visit his mother.

You can't make up rights then expect the world to bend to your will to accommodate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 05:49 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,147,364 times
Quote:
I really don't care what relationship two publics share as it is inconsequential to the relationship I share with my mother.

The system is broke. It needs to be fixed.
Yours is a legitimate cause. Maybe there is a high probability that the visa application will not be denied.

But for every country of the world, not only U.S. or Mexico or Brazil or whatsoever, their embassy has the full discretion to grant or deny a visa (if needed) to a foreign national. If the application is denied, they are not obliged to offer a reason.

The entire system around the world is broke. Not only that of U.S.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:51 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,405,464 times
Quote:
Yeah, and it's called "debt slavery"...being beholden to a rule from which you wish to be relinquished but are unable to because of debt. I'm basically an American slave.
So you borrowed money and havent paid it back, and now consider yourself a slave. Priceless! What of the person who lent you the money? Are they just supposed to be out of luck because you choose to leave? You really are a piece of work!

It really is scary that there are people with world views like these. And they want to hold public office!!!

Old 09-22-2016, 06:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,372,010 times
Quote:
In the US, if attempting to get the highest security clearance, you are impeded if you keep close relations with persons who are high level officials in foreign governments.

Am I wrong, or are you?
If elected to high office you get whatever security clearance you need. If your mother or father is a major official in China or Russia you will have problems getting a high security clearance. If you are a son-in-law of a British Royal or a Canadian Prime Minister you will have no significant problem..

It will also depend on the area where you seek access. Knew a high level American-Chinese who had high clearances and high level contacts with China. Used to get CIA briefings before each trip and debriefed after. It always appeared to me likely the government was trying to manage what leaked.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,372,010 times
Quote:
The issue of land ownership is a long standing debate...it won't end here. However, let me indulge you in your own belief system for a bit..

If, assuming, my mother is the legal arbiter of the land she occupies and thusly allows my presence on it, shouldn't I, if being of will, be legally allowed on the land with which she can do as she pleases?

If private land is indeed private, what business does the State have in barring my entry of it if both private parties are in agreement that I am entitled to?

There is no "human right" for a person to visit his own mother, but there is a "human right" to bar a person from visiting his mother?

You sound ridiculous.

What are you gonna do? Shoot me for trying to see my momma?
Having a mom does not certify you as a good fellow. Some of the 9/11 guys may have well loved their mom. If you can figure a way to visit without the use of the Nations shared resources go for it. That means no flying in the country's air space or crossing the Country"s water.

The country simply has a right to defend itself against those it things suspicious or simply out to take advantage. If you get caught in that criteria you have no complaint. You less than others. You propose to volunteer to be an outsider.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:43 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,147,364 times
Quote:
No, not just the US by any means. Truth is, I know people will recognize common sense when that time comes. People aren't stupid. I hope it's not too much of a hassle, but if there's any country that would make provisions for this..it's the US.

It would really really suck if I couldn't visit my mother, or my grandmother because I wanted a certain job. Or if I couldn't go to my sister's wedding or something.

I doubt it would ever come to that though. I hope not.
You don't really need to wait until that moment to apply for a visa to visit your mom in U.S.

Right after you give up your US citizenship, the next day you can go to the US embassy to apply for a tourist visa stating that you want to visit your mom in US.

Usually the embassy can tell you on the same day or next day if your visa is granted. If you are okay, you may get a 10-year visa which means they don't want you to come back to increase their workload.

Instead of guessing/worrying in this forum, you can know the result right away.

By then if your application is denied, you can come back to whine again.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:52 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,847,876 times
Quote:
But the choices have been made for me. Don't act like it's my fault.

-Don't hold public office.
-Do, and possibly be denied a visit to my mother's house.

It's not my fault I'm a dual citizen, so why is it, either way, I am being punished for it?

"Dual Citizenship" signifies nothing to the DOS, and certainly doesn't confer you special status. You're either a U.S. citizen, or you're not. And it looks like you'll soon be in the "not" column.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:25 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
Quote:
OK, ideological debates aside...do I really have to worry about not being allowed to visit my mother or not attending my sister's wedding? Because, if so...perhaps a career in public service isn't for me after all...

I couldn't imagine being barred from my family...no job or amount of money is worth that.

I know the rules are the rules, but it just seems rather mean to me idk. "Don't do this or you'll never see your mom again!" (I know, exaggerating...but still...)

Is it that serious?
Once you surrender your US citizenship, you lose the automatic right to enter the US, as only US citizens posses that right. You'll have to apply for a visa, and if the visa is denied, you will not be permitted to enter the country. Your US family members will have to travel to visit you instead.

So yes, it is that serious. If you wish to retain the right to re-enter the US at will, you need to keep your US citizenship. And if that means no political career in your other nation, them's the breaks. Take it up with your other country, as it's the entity which is barring you from political office as a dual citizen, not the US.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:51 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,356,553 times
i'd rather the OP give up his US citizenship as his/her loyalty is apparently with their country of birth, not the US, given their preference to hold public office in that other country. the sooner, the better for everyone in this country. the OP probably got their US citizenship so easy as to take for granted how hard it is to even get a greencard through non-familial ways.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:54 PM

9,881 posts, read 14,147,917 times
Quote:

Is it that serious?
Yes, it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration