Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,189 times

Advertisements

Try 'Global Transit' they are a great company that specializes in U.S and Canadian legal immigration. They are a tad on the expensive side, but they will give you a free consult over the phone and let you know what your options are, if any. I am using them right now and I almost have my Green Card Papers.
I will say from experience though...reality is there are no quick routes into the U.S.A. It will take patience and money.

[url]http://www.globaltransitinc.com/[/url]

Last edited by lr_rocks; 07-21-2010 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Had to add a link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 05:55 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,233,098 times
You really need to speak to an immigration attorney about this and see what possible visas you might qualify for. I know of what I speak of as I am a Canadian living in the US and I will tell you that it's not always easy, even if you do fit into one of the categories (the US makes them, and could care less what we want or think).

I have spent over $12,000 on immigration so far and am still waiting to see if I can stay here for good (in other words if I get my green card). I hope to know by Nov. but there is no guarantee on that as they take their sweet time.

I live here because I love the southwest; the climate, topography, lifestyle etc. and I am self employed (I do the same work with the same people on the phone and internet no matter where I live).

I don't know if I agree that the US is more of a land of opportunity than Canada, there seem to be many more here living in what I consider to be poverty (or close to it) with no savings, no health care etc. I did not see that in Canada and I really miss having health care, despite what anyone tells you it was fine with me (and the rest of my family).

One more thing that seems to be better about Canada right now - the economy! The real estate and job markets have tanked in much of the US, worse than I've ever seen it do in Canada. Right now the economy is relatively strong in Canada, comparatively speaking anyhow, so keep that in mind.

Canada is a wonderful place to live and I would be there if only they had a warm climate option somehwere.

Good luck with your dream.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:57 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,233,098 times
Amen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lr_rocks View Post
I will say from experience though...reality is there are no quick routes into the U.S.A. It will take patience and money.

US Immigration Consultant for Canadians - Global Transit

Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,115 times
what ethnicity are you, if your 50% north American Indian you might be able to become a permanent resident thanks to the "Jay Treaty"

Old 08-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Led

145 posts, read 423,456 times
My god why on earth would you come to NYC from Canada??? Let me move to Montreal please?

Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 10,471 times
Sirene, did you make it to USA???

Old 09-17-2010, 05:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howahowa View Post
Sirene, did you make it to USA???
Not likely we'll ever find out as post 13 was Sirene's last post on City Data forum.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:47 AM

746 posts, read 1,677,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Let's get professional here. Sirene, what's the Canadian equivalent of the Screen Actors Guild here? If you're a member, you should contact same, and follow their suggestions. There are so many Canadian actors working here that there must be some familiar guidelines or paths to follow for same. Chicago, with its Second City comedy showcase, seems to have been a mecca for Canadian talent, so it must be possible.

Secondly, pick a dream and specialize, building up your jobs and references. I work as a photographer, and I can't imagine having to turn down photo work to trot off to "go sees" and casting calls, which are the nature of acting work. I presume you are also impervious to cold rejection, which is endemic to both.

Thirdly, one year? There are no overnight success stories in both of these difficult to penetrate fields. They both require tons of credits built upon credits, and networking, which is actually more important than talent.

"Video chicks" are professional fashion or commercial models, with a lot of discipline to polish their looks as well as the genetically beautiful requirement. The key to any of these fields predicated on arty talent is, in fact, discipline. And what will you live on in ultra-expensive NYC while you are making inroads?

You should contact your Canadiain acting guilds today, get info, then write back here, particularly in the New York City forum threads, to find out more insider survival stategies. Good luck. Stop dreaming and get practical.
I think this demonstrates how much work needs to go into something like this, and how little I think she actually knew about the industry (ACTRA, by the way).
By the sounds of it, she was a fly by night person, and had a very romantic version of what NYC was - too many movies would be my guess. Thinks its easy to just "be a photog" and live the high life in one of worlds most expensive cities.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,696 times
First of all do not listen to anything those people have said. Keep dreaming, never stop. It's so insane for someone to tell you to "stop dreaming and get practical". Do what you love or else, what is the point in living? I hope you find your way to where you want to be. Do not get stuck doing something that you do not want to be doing. I truly hope you follow your dreams.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:14 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,433 times
You'll have no way to get into the US. Having a high school diploma doesn't make the US drool at the thought of having you work in one of their video stores. Outside of getting educated, your best bets for getting in the country are:

Becoming a successful actress in Canada. That way you can get something like a national interest exemption that will overlook your lack of education.

Marrying a US Citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration