Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:03 PM

Location: Mexico and I hate it. I'm trying to move back to the US
186 posts, read 283,164 times

Advertisements

I was wondering the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 04:43 AM

1 posts, read 675 times
@sensualspirit

I read your posts very carefully and I must say - you made me wonder. A lot.

I will be a bit off-topic but this whole thread showed me a new perspective on moving to the North America (as my preferred region).

I come from Poland and 10 years ago I visited the US as so-called exchange student. While the trip had nothing to do with studying, it allowed me to legally work and travel across the country. Corny as it may sound, I fell in love with the States, especially with the south-west. As one of the folks wrote here before - the climate, the easy-going people, the landscapes... all make that region a perfect place for me. The economy comes second as I don't need a Ferrari and a supermodel girlfriend (not sure if the second requires big bucks ).

I started learning about the history of the USA just to see how this country was created and what were the principles behind establishing the culture, social and political aspects. I was a bit surprised to find out that, excluding the very early stages, when natives were robbed of any valuable belongings like gold or spices, the whole idea was to find a piece of land for freedom seekers.
For centuries people from all over the world were coming to the US in search of liberty. And that country has been literally built by immigrants.

I truly regret that now it is nearly impossible to legally migrate to the US. That is the biggest dream I have but after I've read a ton of articles, legal papers and posts, I seriously doubt I will ever become a US citizen.

On the other hand I started looking at possibilities of moving to Canada and the GTA. The Canadian government is "luring" skilled professionals but the press is not so positive.
I've read about discrimination, reluctance for hiring immigrants for higher positions (I'm a marketing manager), even some racial problems. Now sensualspirit elaborated on the overall conditions of life in Canada and I'm not so "willing" any more.

The only pro of Canada seems to be that the government doesn't make it too hard to get all the permissions once you get a job offer.

Funny thing - the world is becoming more and more a global village and yet it is so difficult to change the country you want to live in (perhaps not in the European Union where relocation is fairly easy).

I hope all of us, who want to find happiness and fulfilment away from our fatherland, will finally arrive at the desired destination. Before it's too late.

Best regards,
Mike

Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 AM

815 posts, read 2,699,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Because it is the greatest country in the world? Because it is the land of opportunity? Because hard-working people with a love of their country (even an adopted one) can succeed here?

Very good idea, indeed. If one hates their country, by all means, they should find another.
Life is too short to live in a country that doesn't reflect a person's own values and principles. It can lead to much sadness, despair and a diminished quality of life. If someone is not happy in their fatherland and wishes to look elsewhere, then I applaud and encourage their efforts although the process is never easy. Personally, I never bought into the "this is the best country on earth" mindset. The statement itself reeks of ignorance and is an odd display of faux-patriotism. Over the years I've learned to respond by saying "oh really, have you lived in every country on earth?".
Many Americans think it's a personal attack on their country when a citizen voices their decision to leave, (hence the anger-filled 'love it or leave it' mindset) but in reality, it's all about finding happiness and peace that we are all looking for.

Last edited by cityx; 08-02-2013 at 09:16 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csns View Post
Funny thing - the world is becoming more and more a global village and yet it is so difficult to change the country you want to live in (perhaps not in the European Union where relocation is fairly easy).

I hope all of us, who want to find happiness and fulfilment away from our fatherland, will finally arrive at the desired destination. Before it's too late.

Best regards,
Mike
I agree Mike, I think it's TERRIBLE that we as citizens of the earth can't just move to another country if we wish.

They say it's b/c they don't want to let the scum into their country (who knows) & I'm also told it's b/c all these countries follow what the US does.

When I was a child back in the 70's, from what I heard, you could move ANYWHERE in the world with no problem & didn't even have to get citizenship or if you wanted it, it was easy.

I grew up in the States & had a SSN (social security number), but my parents never got me any kind of status. When my SSN was stolen b/c it was in my wallet, I mailed (no Internet at the time) the gov't asking for a replacement.

I was SHOCKED to get a response that b/c I hadn't lived in the US for 4 years, they wouldn't give it to me.

Mexicans & other Latinos can illegally cross over the border & live in the US for 25+ years if they are never caught, but you try to do the right thing, & you are treated like garbage.

While I love the US for its many positives, some of the attitudes irk me to no end.

Michelle

Old 08-02-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
I never bought into the "this is the best country on earth" mindset. The statement itself reeks of ignorance and is an odd display of faux-patriotism. Over the years I've learned to respond by saying "oh really, have you lived in every country on earth?".
Many Americans think it's a personal attack on their country when a citizen voices their decision to leave, (hence the anger-filled 'love it or leave it' mindset) but in reality, it's all about finding happiness and peace that we are all looking for.
I agree, but it's NOT only Americans that are like that.

A country is a country, we as human beings are NOT a country, we are human. We are citizens of the earth.

I get that it's okay to be proud, but the whole "it's US against YOU mindset" bothers me & always will. This is why wars are started.

Unfortunately the Internet has widened people's global view & so I am guessing people moving to other countries has increased exponentially, but b/c of what Mike said, we are held captive to either the country where we have citizenship OR some countries that aren't even worth moving to b/c they are soooo backward.

Consider yourself lucky Mike that you are part of the EU & you have such a large list of different countries you can move to. As a Canadian, I can't do that, not unless I have tons of money.

Michelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration