Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:21 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,240,346 times

Advertisements

I swear I am going into the immigration advice business. For a large chunk of money, I will fill out applications for someone which will inevitably be denied.

People just can't move here because they want to. Those days are long gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 01:04 PM

9 posts, read 16,723 times
hahaha, the quotations on Jay Treaty made me laugh. Dean1139 is correct though. It would be Article 111 of the Jay Treaty.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 PM

10 posts, read 12,576 times
Stay in Canada!

Old 07-22-2011, 12:23 PM

838 posts, read 922,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Because of this - what I quoted;

To me it is pretty clear - this person has a deep dislike/hatred of the U.S. BTW, I'm talking about WhoMe not the OP.
Who said they had any dislike or hatred of U.S. in this thread? People often want to go to Canada as a retiree or for some type of work or other reasons, but it's not that easy to be eligible to get into Canada.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:05 PM

105 posts, read 338,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoFlintstone View Post
Second, the US company that hired them had to post the job posting for a period of time and prove to the USCIS that they cannot find an appropriate candidate for that particular position. Once this process is finished, then you will get a TN visa which you have to renew every year. Hopefully, the Company Lawyer would willing to apply a H1 for you. Then they can apply for your permanent residency in US. With the help of the employment, from the time you apply the I485, there is around 2 years of waiting. This is one of the process to get to live in US.
It's like rumors or what? So many things are not true. I myself went through the entire process TN -> GC, recently. It wasn't about any country liking, but it was tougher to get a professional job in Canada for a recent university graduate. It just happened this way. If it was easy to get a job and properties were cheap, I would go back.

TN is quite easy to get for a professional from the list of allowed occupations and requirements if there is an employer who wants to hire a Canadian. The employer doesn't have to prove they cannot hire a local and such (this is for a GC). Basically, you go to the border with your job offer, diploma/resume and a simple letter (there are samples all over the internet), fill out a form, and 20 minutes after you have your TN. Unfortunately, a video store clerk and any low level jobs are not on the list of occupations qualified for TNs. Sorry, nobody is allowed to work with no work permit and SSN, same in Canada.

Currently, TN allows to work for 3 years (approved in 2008), same as H1. In the past, it was only 1 year. If the employer wanted to process a GC, they used to switch to H1 so not to run out of status within 1 year. Now they don't have to. It's either an EB2 or EB3 application, EB2 requires advanced education or experience. EB2 is faster processing. Our I-140 and I-485 combined took 2 months for EB2. I've never heard of 2 years for I-485 on EB2 for a Canadian... only for India and China, that have separate queues. EB3 is currently in retrogression and takes like... 5 years? 9 years for India?

It's possible that professional actors and photographers can go through the same process, but they first need to be professionals in Canada!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:17 PM

105 posts, read 338,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missdg85 View Post
I'm kind of in the same situation as SIRENE. But the thing is my boyfriend lives in NYC we have been together for 6-7 months. And we are already planning on staying together. I'm 23 years old. Live in Ontario. I would like to have some information on what are the possibilities of either me moving to NYC or him coming to live with me. I have a college diploma and 2 years of university. Planning on taking a break from school and i have a pretty decent job, I work for the governement. So would i be able to go an live with him over there ? OR would he be able to come an live with me here.
If you college diploma doesn't qualify you for TN, you can continue to study in the US, get your diploma and then find H1 employment (it's a separate quota for US foreign graduates). NAFTA governs 3 countries: US, Canada and Mexico, so as if you can get a TN to work in the US, your bf can get a TN to work in Canada, if his occupation is on the list. Or you both can go to Mexico.

Didn't spend a buck myself for attorneys... Why, if I have Google?

Last edited by whiterabbit2; 07-28-2011 at 07:30 PM..

Old 11-26-2012, 02:39 AM

Location: Mexico and I hate it. I'm trying to move back to the US
186 posts, read 283,344 times
Hi all,

I'm mulling it over about whether I'd want to move to the US.

I grew up there & my parents never got me my citizenship which I've been upset about a few times over the years. My father got his citizenship, but he wasn't born there.

I said I'd never return b/c of the crime & all the guns, but I don't know. Things have changed for me now.

The only other negatives besides it being more & more like a police state are the roads (at least the ones I've seen) that are terrible compared to Canada's, plus Canada seems to be cleaner, but I just don't want to be in Canada anymore. It's just TOO expensive & I find Americans to much more friendly & down to earth. IMO, the US has so much more to offer.

As for health care, I don't go to conventional doctors anyway (I'm a holistic person), so unless I needed emergency surgery, it doesn't matter to me. I pay into something I never use anyway, plus there are no doctors around unless you had one from years ago. People don't realize this.

Americans constantly think the health care is sooo good in Canada & IMO, it's not. They've canceled sooo many benefits over the years.

You don't get dentistry which is a HUGE expense. They used to provide eye care, but they stopped several years ago. If you needed therapy, you'd be forced to see a shrink, you can't see a psychologist.

They won't support ANYTHING holistic at all & I'm pretty sure (don't quote me) that the UK & France have way better health care programs than Canada does.

Canada didn't help me AT ALL when I needed financial support. When I found out how much my sister in NY gets from the gov't to support her & her family I nearly died. She gets tons of money for rent & food every month AND her & her husband work.

The only thing Canada ever gave me several years ago was 3 months of a small amount of money for food & they made me give them money to get that money LOL & it wasn't enough to pay for quality food for me & my son.

Then they harassed me trying to prove I was overspending (I wasn't) & they wanted me to move from my cheap house (cheap in CND terms) to a welfare type residence. YES, that's what I want, I want to live in the worst part of town in a rundown decrepit house. I work from home, so I have to feel comfortable with where I live.

So that was it, they cut me off after 3 months & they probably only gave me that small amount because I had my son at the time. You get almost nothing if you don't have children.

Oh & even if I wanted to get one of those terrible residential places now, there's a 1-2 year waiting list.

Welfare is still under $600/month which is NUTS. LOL, do you know how much it is now just to rent even a terrible basement apt. in Toronto? $700. And most of the stuff advertised are scams which again, the gov't does nothing about. Yes, I'm going to pay $700 in rent when they ONLY give me $675 LOL, that makes TOTAL sense to me.

I responded to a few ads & already I was approached by scammers.

And I don't think Americans know how much tax Canadians pay. That's both sales & income tax. Way more than Americans pay with far less benefits.

There is so much more selection in the US as far as products, communities, websites, sales, even business (being an entrepreneur) is much more available IMO.

If I didn't ever want to go out shopping, I could order everything I wanted right to my door (food included) & it would probably be free shipping. While Canada has one or 2 grocery chains that deliver now, I believe that's ONLY available in larger cities & you will never get free shipping unless you order maybe over $75-100. Whereas in the US, they will ship country wide & the only states they may not ship to is HI.

There's just nothing like that in Canada. They are sooo behind the times in so much.

I understand the economy sucks right now in the US, but that's a benefit in some ways if you don't have a lot of money. Unless you live in the larger cities like NY, LA, Chicago, etc. you should be able to find places that are 50% less than what I would have to pay for in Canada. I even checked the cheapest places to live in Canada & unless you are buying a house which is a lot less than the Toronto area, renting is min. $700-800/month.

Then of course there's the weather issues. I'm sick of being cold all the time. You also realize that the colder it is & the more snow & salt there is, the more it costs money. Not that there isn't snow in the US, it's just that there are warmer states, whereas the closest we have to that is BC & it rains there all the time & again, is VERY expensive, even moreso after the Olympics.

Unfortunately I don't have anything to offer the US, no money, no degree, no one to marry, no job. I'm a netrepreneur & I rely upon the US economy, so my business hasn't been doing well, but I just know there's more opportunity there even with maybe finding a business partner & starting a new business.

These are my points of view after living in Canada from 1984-2010. Please don't flame me. I have the right to my opinion.

If anyone can help me get into the US, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Michelle

Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 PM

286 posts, read 418,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post

Canada didn't help me AT ALL when I needed financial support. When I found out how much my sister in NY gets from the gov't to support her & her family I nearly died. She gets tons of money for rent & food every month AND her & her husband work.

Welfare is still under $600/month which is NUTS. LOL, do you know how much it is now just to rent even a terrible basement apt. in Toronto? $700. And most of the stuff advertised are scams which again, the gov't does nothing about. Yes, I'm going to pay $700 in rent when they ONLY give me $675 LOL, that makes TOTAL sense to me.

I understand the economy sucks right now in the US, but that's a benefit in some ways if you don't have a lot of money. Unless you live in the larger cities like NY, LA, Chicago, etc. you should be able to find places that are 50% less than what I would have to pay for in Canada. I even checked the cheapest places to live in Canada & unless you are buying a house which is a lot less than the Toronto area, renting is min. $700-800/month.

Unfortunately I don't have anything to offer the US, no money, no degree, no one to marry, no job. I'm a netrepreneur & I rely upon the US economy, so my business hasn't been doing well, but I just know there's more opportunity there even with maybe finding a business partner & starting a new business.
It sounds to me as if you want to come here because Canada's government will not "support" you and you think we will.

You have "no money, no degree, no one to marry, no job"...AND you have a child. You also want to start a new business. Now, I've never started a business, but I assume that requires money.

Sorry to be snarky, but from most of your post it sounds as if you are just looking for a free ride.

I also find it hilarious that you think you will find an apartment to rent between $350 and $400 a month. You really need to do some research on the cost of living in the United States.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:55 PM

Location: Mexico and I hate it. I'm trying to move back to the US
186 posts, read 283,344 times
I'm sorry if you misunderstood, I don't believe I EVER stated I wanted a free ride or financial help from the US government or that that was the ONLY reason I didn't want to stay in Canada. I also never said I have a child with me now. I also didn't state that I wanted to start an offline business, I simply stated there's more opportunity to do so there.

I'm happy that you are well off with lots of money. Kudos to you. That's not my situation right now, but that does not mean for one minute it's b/c I don't work. If you weren't insinuating that, I apologize.

As for degrees, I really don't care if I don't have a degree. In my opinion a degree doesn't make the person. It's sad that society places so much value on people's degrees instead of how smart the person is.

I already stated that I hadn't researched rentals all over the place. I'm amazed that you know the prices for every city in the entire US of A. But I'm glad I made you laugh. At least something positive came out of you reading my post.

Adios

Old 12-02-2012, 12:05 AM

286 posts, read 418,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
I'm sorry if you misunderstood, I don't believe I EVER stated I wanted a free ride or financial help from the US government or that that was the ONLY reason I didn't want to stay in Canada. I also never said I have a child with me now. I also didn't state that I wanted to start an offline business, I simply stated there's more opportunity to do so there.

I'm happy that you are well off with lots of money. Kudos to you. That's not my situation right now, but that does not mean for one minute it's b/c I don't work. If you weren't insinuating that, I apologize.

As for degrees, I really don't care if I don't have a degree. In my opinion a degree doesn't make the person. It's sad that society places so much value on people's degrees instead of how smart the person is.

I already stated that I hadn't researched rentals all over the place. I'm amazed that you know the prices for every city in the entire US of A. But I'm glad I made you laugh. At least something positive came out of you reading my post.

Adios
Not once did I say I was "well off with lots of money." In fact, I am in the exact opposite situation. I work my butt off for 32 hours a week and go to school 4 days a week, including Saturday mornings. I live at home with my parents at 29. I don't know how you got the impression I am affluent from my reply. This is a very sensitive issue for me so I can't help but be a bit irritated.

I apologize. You made several comments about our government vs. Canada's government regarding assistance, so I could not help but get the impression you are looking for government handouts, especially if you plan on coming here with no money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration