Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:33 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yes, because only the United States has immigration laws! Only the United States makes you fill out paperwork!! And horror of horrors....only the United States imposes fines and penalties on those that overstay their visas and want to return
Thank god things are different in Europe...er, no. Well, I know in China its easy to ....no not there either...Africa? Probably not. The fact is, it is difficult to legally immigrate anywhere. All countries have the right to exert its sovereignity by determining just who they want to immigrate to their country. It's not fear of 'durn furriners' or whatever the hell outdated stereotype some like to use to bolster their incredibly weak position. It is about knowing who is coming, how long they are staying and will they benefit the society they wish to join.
Absolutely! There are millions of immigrants who consider the effort well worth the outcome. The whiners are simply trying to justify criminal behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 07:14 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yes, because only the United States has immigration laws! Only the United States makes you fill out paperwork!! And horror of horrors....only the United States imposes fines and penalties on those that overstay their visas and want to return
Thank god things are different in Europe...er, no. Well, I know in China its easy to ....no not there either...Africa? Probably not. The fact is, it is difficult to legally immigrate anywhere. All countries have the right to exert its sovereignity by determining just who they want to immigrate to their country. .
It's true that these places keep people out...but they do it because they HAVE to. Some places have problems of their own, and immigrants might cause a drain on their resources. Other places would like to let immigrants in freely, but feel this would compromise their security. Still OTHER places have cultures that are pure and noble...and they simply cannot tolerate foreigners because it would change their societies. So these places have no choice but to keep people out.
Other places simply have no tradition of welcoming foreigners....therefore, they just don't have that obligation, like we do. They have a legitimate excuse for their behavior, and it's part of their culture.

Only the USA keeps people out because we're just plain MEAN. And THAT'S just plain inexcusable.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:36 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It's true that these places keep people out...but they do it because they HAVE to. Some places have problems of their own, and immigrants might cause a drain on their resources. Other places would like to let immigrants in freely, but feel this would compromise their security. Still OTHER places have cultures that are pure and noble...and they simply cannot tolerate foreigners because it would change their societies. So these places have no choice but to keep people out.
Other places simply have no tradition of welcoming foreigners....therefore, they just don't have that obligation, like we do. They have a legitimate excuse for their behavior, and it's part of their culture.

Only the USA keeps people out because we're just plain MEAN. And THAT'S just plain inexcusable.
Ah, it's all so clear now, thanks!

If you don't mind, I think I am going to use this as my personal motto -- we're just plain mean!

Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:

Spare me the line of crap. We are not mean. It is reasonable to seek immigrants that can help improve our nation and not be a drain upon it. It is reasonable to make applicants prove that they will not become a burden. It is reasonable to control the mix of immigrants. But most of all it is reasonable to deport individuals who have no respect for our immigration laws and sneak accross the border. Is it a challenge to enter legally? Yes and it should be. Is it reasonable to force applicants to have a health screen before they are accepted? YES that protects you and I from catching a nastey bug. Is it reasonable to make applicants pass a back ground check? Yes that helps to weed out criminals.
It is unreasonable for the USA to be used as a welfare nation for anyone who feels to meet our already low criteria. Low by most other nations standards.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Spare me the line of crap. We are not mean. It is reasonable to seek immigrants that can help improve our nation and not be a drain upon it. It is reasonable to make applicants prove that they will not become a burden. It is reasonable to control the mix of immigrants. But most of all it is reasonable to deport individuals who have no respect for our immigration laws and sneak accross the border. Is it a challenge to enter legally? Yes and it should be. Is it reasonable to force applicants to have a health screen before they are accepted? YES that protects you and I from catching a nastey bug. Is it reasonable to make applicants pass a back ground check? Yes that helps to weed out criminals.
It is unreasonable for the USA to be used as a welfare nation for anyone who feels to meet our already low criteria. Low by most other nations standards.
Well, OK then....we're not mean. Maybe a little "crochety" then?.....grumpy?....gruff? mmmm ..I just don't know

Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Well, OK then....we're not mean. Maybe a little "crochety" then?.....grumpy?....gruff? mmmm ..I just don't know
Mac its really very simple.
1. We don't owe them anything.
2. We have the same right as any other nation to be selective.
3. It is upon the applicant to prove their value, to adapt, to observe and respect our laws regardless of how they view them.
4. To say we should give them a walk is not reasonable. Many millions before them found a way to enter legally. They should be held to that standard. Thats known as fair play or a level playing field.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Mac its really very simple.
1. We don't owe them anything.
3. It is upon the applicant to prove their value, to adapt, to observe and respect our laws regardless of how they view them.
4. To say we should give them a walk is not reasonable. Many millions before them found a way to enter legally. They should be held to that standard. Thats known as fair play or a level playing field.
Once again, I apologize. I'm a 'sarcasm-aholic' and this post was meant in jest. I agree with you on all points. (I've been 'scolded' for my sarcasm many timesw..thought the little 'icons' made it OK...?)
BTW.."Camping's" post was 'playing along' with my sarcasm, also...hope it doesn't seem like we're 'ganging up' on you.....

Old 06-20-2008, 10:10 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,752,778 times
Quote:
You are not being selective at all. The applicant "value" is irrelevant to immigration. Now those mail-order brides easily get in. Hey if you are willing to sleep with the losers that can't get a date here then you are in. Yeah for "selection".

Old 06-20-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
You are not being selective at all. The applicant "value" is irrelevant to immigration. Now those mail-order brides easily get in. Hey if you are willing to sleep with the losers that can't get a date here then you are in. Yeah for "selection".
On the other hand, maybe these guys DID get a date here..or two, or TEN....and maybe THAT'S what made them decide on going the 'mail order' route....do you think?...

Old 06-21-2008, 09:52 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,752,778 times
Quote:
On the other hand, maybe these guys DID get a date here..or two, or TEN....and maybe THAT'S what made them decide on going the 'mail order' route....do you think?...
Since you ask. I will tell you of a case that I know about. A man who is already a grand father married a "mail order bride" that is half his age. He keeps her in a subservient state. He doesn't abuse her but he doesn't let her have a key to "their" house or lets her drive. Yeah for legal immigration. BTW he did have a long term girlfriend while separated but as soon as his divorce became final he dumped her for the "servant" he is married to now. Yeah for legal immigration. BTW she doesn't work so she doesn't pay any taxes. Actually he now pays less taxes because she is his dependent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration