Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Ooookay.....Have to admit, that you were trolling for a 'very young lady' creeps me out just a tad.

Nonetheless, you and anyone else certainly has the right to marry whom they wish, here or abroad.

Still, let me give you some advice from a formerly hot young thing now looking into the dark evil maw of her forties......
Pregnancy and time do horrible things to a womans body. Especially pregnancy. Even just one pregnancy. Like men growing hairs out of their ears and other unmentionable places once they hit forty (and I am sure you know what I mean) So it goes with women of any age, of any ethnicity and of any socio-economic background after experiencing life and pregnancy. Just a word from the wise.....
Had to chuckle here.

Maybe I am a true Old Goat here (51 this year): I vastly prefer a 'few pounds/curves' here and there on a woman-----and, I like 'em at least age 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 06:57 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I don't get it. Why I am grasping at straws?. I have no horse in this race. I am just stating what I know. I had a student visa in the 90's and yes there are H1 visas and then maybe a company will sponsor. In late 90's after the .com bust there were a lot less companies willing to hire H1 visas. Also I believe there is a quota of how many can be issued.
As long as they are “legally” in this country, what’s the problem? The fact that it takes years to obtain “citizenship” should be irrelevant. Aren’t they still enjoying life here? Are you suggesting we simply permit people to enter this country and within a year or two grant them citizenship? I don’t think U.S. citizenship would hold much value if one could obtain it that easily. I just don’t understand your gripe.

I am not an immigration expert; nor am I versed on quotas. You said you entered this country on a student visa during the 90’s. Thus, I will assume you have been granted citizenship. Why are you complaining?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:33 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
As long as they are “legally” in this country, what’s the problem? The fact that it takes years to obtain “citizenship” should be irrelevant. Aren’t they still enjoying life here? Are you suggesting we simply permit people to enter this country and within a year or two grant them citizenship? I don’t think U.S. citizenship would hold much value if one could obtain it that easily. I just don’t understand your gripe.

I am not an immigration expert; nor am I versed on quotas. You said you entered this country on a student visa during the 90’s. Thus, I will assume you have been granted citizenship. Why are you complaining?

I must not be good at expressing myself. The reason I mentioned the length of time between permanent residency and citizenship had to do with the fact that all those people that became citizens this year probably came into this country under a less restrictive immigration law. That is all I meant. I have no gripes at all. I am also not complaining. Can't I just express my opinion? Again status quo is not working. Something has to change IMHO.
No I am not a US citizen. I am a permanent resident and I have no intention of applying for citizenship. I don't see a benefit except voting.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I must not be good at expressing myself. The reason I mentioned the length of time between permanent residency and citizenship had to do with the fact that all those people that became citizens this year probably came into this country under a less restrictive immigration law. That is all I meant. I have no gripes at all. I am also not complaining. Can't I just express my opinion? Again status quo is not working. Something has to change IMHO.
No I am not a US citizen. I am a permanent resident and I have no intention of applying for citizenship. I don't see a benefit except voting.
I’m not trying to be difficult; I’m just trying to understand your criticism of the current immigration process. Again, my knowledge of immigration law is limited. Perhaps you can enlighten me on the recent changes in immigration procedures that impede citizenship.

BTW, you are certainly entitled to express your opinion. If I gave the impression otherwise; I sincerely apologize.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:31 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Had to chuckle here.

Maybe I am a true Old Goat here (51 this year): I vastly prefer a 'few pounds/curves' here and there on a woman-----and, I like 'em at least age 35.
Good to know not every man is looking for sweet young thangs!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:06 AM

6 posts, read 17,314 times
Quote:
Ooookay.....Have to admit, that you were trolling for a 'very young lady' creeps me out just a tad.

Your idea of a "very young lady" also creeps me out. To me, a college aged lady in her 20's is very young. Not the lowest legal age of 13 in this country...That would be a little girl in my book.

Nonetheless, you and anyone else certainly has the right to marry whom they wish, here or abroad.

Still, let me give you some advice from a formerly hot young thing now looking into the dark evil maw of her forties......
Pregnancy and time do horrible things to a womans body. Especially pregnancy. Even just one pregnancy. Like men growing hairs out of their ears and other unmentionable places once they hit forty (and I am sure you know what I mean)

Hey, my wife thinks my back hair is sexy...

So it goes with women of any age, of any ethnicity and of any socio-economic background after experiencing life and pregnancy. Just a word from the wise.....
Your wisdom is well noted. I just decided to watch that aging action take place on a beautiful woman, instead of marrying one that it had already happened to.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:27 AM

6 posts, read 17,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I am responding and I hope that you don't think that I am being disrespectful- I am just trying to share how I feel about what you wrote. I am sorry that it seems you have to fight some negative sterotypes because you married a woman that is not from America but I don't think bashing American women is the answer. While I am glad that you and your wife are happy- sorry but not all American women are lewd, fowl mouthed and complain about everything. What does that have to do with illegal or legal immigration? I know you said "not all" "but enough to make a very bad impression". Then in the other sentence you wrote"many"? I for one am nothing like your wife's opinion of American women and I know plenty of American women who would never behave like that. Does she watch too much Jerry Springer or one of those other shows that only show the scum of society?

Also-the high US divorce rate has just as much to do with men as it does with women. I agree that the divorce rate in this country in disturbing. I feel many people would rather divorce than work out problems and be true to "for better or for worse". That being said, I also know that there are people who are abused, cheated on, etc that have a right to divorce. I also know in other countries women do not have a right to divorce even if they are cheated on and abused. So-while I think it is overused in this country-I also am thankful we don't live in a country where divorce is illegal or a woman has no right to end a marriage of abuse. My parents have been married almost 42 years and my inlaws were married over 45 before my fil passed away. While I do know friends who have divorced, I know many who have been going strong in their first marriage for many years.

Also-we don't "make" old people work. It is up to people to plan for retirement. Also-many "old people" enjoy working. Yes some have to work but not all. I already pay way too much in taxes without having to 100% support non-working people on top of illegal aliens.

Nicolem-"a happily married, smart, conservative funny American woman who has been married to her best friend, equal and partner for almost 14 years"
Hi Nicolem,
What does your post have to do with illegal or legal immigration? Seems to me that you are just trying to promote yourself, or American women for that matter. No disrespect intended, of course...
While the US doesn't "make" old people work, the government sure has h*ll makes them pay social security until they are past their productive years. Just what was all that money going to, if it wasn't for their retirement? I think when my wife starts her nursing career in the US, she will be expected to work until age 72 before she qualifies for social security. While her father that worked abroad for 20 years will retire next year at age 59. He will draw enough to live comfortably in his home country, but my wife will have to invest, and hope for the best to be able to retire before she's waaaaaaay past her prime.
If the markets crash, (housing, stocks, ect), or inflation gets out of controll($150 a barrel?) her personal retirement accounts could be worthless. she may have to rely on the Social security, which will "make" her work until age 72.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:28 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of the World View Post
Hi Nicolem,
What does your post have to do with illegal or legal immigration? Seems to me that you are just trying to promote yourself, or American women for that matter. No disrespect intended, of course...
While the US doesn't "make" old people work, the government sure has h*ll makes them pay social security until they are past their productive years. Just what was all that money going to, if it wasn't for their retirement? I think when my wife starts her nursing career in the US, she will be expected to work until age 72 before she qualifies for social security. While her father that worked abroad for 20 years will retire next year at age 59. He will draw enough to live comfortably in his home country, but my wife will have to invest, and hope for the best to be able to retire before she's waaaaaaay past her prime.
If the markets crash, (housing, stocks, ect), or inflation gets out of controll($150 a barrel?) her personal retirement accounts could be worthless. she may have to rely on the Social security, which will "make" her work until age 72.
One thing that many especially older folks (age 55+) seem to overlook is there are many, many people age 65+ vs. a shrinking base of younger people--------far fewer of us oldsters (I am age 50) are being taken out @ age 40-50 due to heart attacks, etc. and too the birthrate has crashed down to replacement (or lower) levels.

The cold reality is that SS entitlement needs to reflect real world life expectancy. In 1936 when SS appeared; the cutoff was age 60 @ birth-------US gov't gambled that we would not live long enough to collect. Now; one has a good chance of making it till age 75.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of the World View Post
Your wisdom is well noted. I just decided to watch that aging action take place on a beautiful woman, instead of marrying one that it had already happened to.

Your wife is 'just barely in her twenties'.......sounds a tad skeevy to me.

Nonetheless, have fun watching a beautiful woman age. One thing you didn't consider is women do hit their sexual peak in their thirties...you'll be in your fifties/sixties? Good luck with that one!

I'm reminded of an old saying....shallow is as shallow does....

Last edited by camping!; 06-23-2008 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: add

Old 06-23-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Your wife is 'just barely in her twenties'.......sounds a tad skeevy to me.

Nonetheless, have fun watching a beautiful woman age. One thing you didn't consider is women do hit their sexual peak in their thirties...you'll be in your fifties/sixties? Good luck with that one!

I'm reminded of an old saying....shallow is as shallow does....
I soooo wish I could rep you. I have a feeling ‘someone’ may be in for a rude awakening. I only wish I could be a fly on the wall.

I’m also reminded of a guy who was extremely good-looking, but his shallowness and narcissism made him oh so ugly. Well, lo and behold, Mr. “God’s Gift” was involved in a serious accident that left his face disfigured, and he walked with a limp. One never knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration