Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:58 AM

743 posts, read 2,069,350 times

Advertisements

In the case of dual citizenships, you pledge allegiance to the country you live in. No one can serve two masters. You can collect pay from both, but your primary allegiance is to either one and not to both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,507,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I do not dispute the fact that "a piece of paper" does not dictate one's loyalty. You, as a dual citizen, can most definitely attest to that. I am also not questioning your loyalty to this country. I simply find it difficult to believe that a person can “equally” hold allegiance to two countries. If, God forbid, we should engage in a military conflict with Mexico, how would you feel? Would it create a conflict for you, or would you automatically align yourself with the US?
I have thought about it in great depth, it would depend on whether or not I believed that war was necessary with Mexico. I know 1 thing if I didn't believe in the war I would still not be a traitor and go side with Mexico.

However, if you're asking if allegiance = be a sheepie? I don't follow blindly based on my allegiance, honestly I would have a hard time serving in the Iraq war and would probably leave the country if asked to do so, not sure though. I think Americas war machine needs to cool its jets for a while.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:15 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,572,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I have thought about it in great depth, it would depend on whether or not I believed that war was necessary with Mexico. I know 1 thing if I didn't believe in the war I would still not be a traitor and go side with Mexico.

However, if you're asking if allegiance = be a sheepie? I don't follow blindly based on my allegiance, honestly I would have a hard time serving in the Iraq war and would probably leave the country if asked to do so, not sure though.
I respect your honesty. I also do not subscribe to the sheeple mentality, and it’s disturbing to witness the prevalence of this mindset today. I am opposed to many U.S. foreign policies, including the war in Iraq. However, my opposition to the war does not diminish my love for this country, or my support for our troops.

Thank you for your service.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,507,929 times
Quote:
I respect your honesty. I also do not subscribe to the sheeple mentality, and it’s disturbing to witness the prevalence of this mindset today. I am opposed to many U.S. foreign policies, including the war in Iraq. However, my opposition to the war does not diminish my love for this country, or my support for our troops.

Thank you for your service.
Believe me I have many friends in the war who are riding it out because they want retirement (16-18 yrs in will make you HAVE to go to Iraq), these are true Americans, ranking officers and NCO's. I know not 1 active duty person who actually wants to be in Iraq or believes in the war. At this point, if America were to declare war on Mexico I think these same Americans would be against that war too, unless their were unprecedented proof of Mexico's threat on us.

We all love this country, that is why it hurts so bad to see Americans behave so ignorantly towards immigrants because of this illegal problem.

Fix the illegal problem, but don't scourge through looking for ways to place more blame on immigrants, and Mexicans.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:30 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,563,358 times
While most of this discussion is theoretical, and always will be, at the 'end of the day' I can't understand how anyone can really be a 'true and loyal citizen' of one nation, and a 'true and loyal citizen' of another. At some point, this HAS to be a conflict of interest. For example, as I posted long ago, imagine a dual US / German citizen in 1939. EACH of his two nations sends him his "draft notice". Each demands he report for military duty in 'his' army. If he doesn't, EACH nation threatens him with prosecution for treason.

It MAY be a stretch, but if citizenship involves any notion of loyalty (which I suppose some will say it doesn't) then you can't be equally loyal to two nations, if there's any type of conflict.

Can the 'bond' that theoretically is SUPPOSED to exist between a married couple, be duplicated in a polygamous marriage of 3, 4, or 5 partners? Some may say 'yes', but I don't see how.

Obviously we need to clear up just what citizenship entails...is it all just 'perks', or does it also involve obligations and duties?

Old 07-15-2008, 02:37 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,755,708 times
Quote:
IMO, the concept of dual citizenship negates “true” allegiance to a country; and enables one to essentially alternate loyalty. It’s disturbing that people can immigrate to this country and live as a U.S. citizen, with all of the afforded rights and privileges, while simultaneously vowing allegiance to, and engaging in the political arena of another country. I concur with Ms. Salvato; I just don’t believe one can equally love two countries.

The New Media Journal | The Issue of Dual Citizenship in the US by Nancy Salvato

I didnt read the replies or the article, so sorry if I'm repeating anything, I'll just reply to your post. I know lots of people who have dual citizenship. It can be attained if one of your parents is a Mexican citizen, or was born in Mexico and naturalized in the U.S.
From what I understand, a lot of older Mexican-Americans that I know have pursued this in case they wanted to purchase land in Mexico or something.
I don't think it cancels out American pride or anything.

I strongly believe someone can love the United States, acknowledge their identity as an American, and still hold very deep ties to their culture(in this case Mexican).

Maybe if one had to choose, it might get more tricky. But why make anyone choose?

You can love your mom and your grandma equally(even if you get along with and are more familiar with one more than the other).

Maybe you love the best of both.

But when it comes to patriotism and culture, following either blindly can be bad for you. I'm sure you feel thats one I'm doing, but I think human decency and respect should trump both.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:51 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,572,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Believe me I have many friends in the war who are riding it out because they want retirement (16-18 yrs in will make you HAVE to go to Iraq), these are true Americans, ranking officers and NCO's. I know not 1 active duty person who actually wants to be in Iraq or believes in the war. At this point, if America were to declare war on Mexico I think these same Americans would be against that war too, unless their were unprecedented proof of Mexico's threat on us.

We all love this country, that is why it hurts so bad to see Americans behave so ignorantly towards immigrants because of this illegal problem.

Fix the illegal problem, but don't scourge through looking for ways to place more blame on immigrants, and Mexicans.
Sorry I couldn’t respond to your post earlier, but I had to leave.

The “love” for our country is one of the many reasons we are so upset over the issue of illegal immigration. This is our home, and we have been forced to endure trespassers, many whom commit various crimes, some heinous, against U.S. citizens. I am not implying that ALL illegal aliens are violent criminals; however, even one, is one too many.

I compare it to a home invasion; and although you are within your legal rights to condemn the intrusion, law enforcement won’t help, and you are labeled a racist for complaining. Can you not understand why many of us are so outraged?

It has never been a racial or ethnic issue for me; which is why it is so annoying to have those in support of this mess accuse ALL of us of being anti-Hispanic or anti-Mexican. I believe we are well within our rights…..legally and morally, to be upset and to demand to have this problem resolved.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:25 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,415,333 times
Quote:
Sorry I couldn’t respond to your post earlier, but I had to leave.

The “love” for our country is one of the many reasons we are so upset over the issue of illegal immigration. This is our home, and we have been forced to endure trespassers, many whom commit various crimes, some heinous, against U.S. citizens. I am not implying that ALL illegal aliens are violent criminals; however, even one, is one too many.

I compare it to a home invasion; and although you are within your legal rights to condemn the intrusion, law enforcement won’t help, and you are labeled a racist for complaining. Can you not understand why many of us are so outraged?

It has never been a racial or ethnic issue for me; which is why it is so annoying to have those in support of this mess accuse ALL of us of being anti-Hispanic or anti-Mexican. I believe we are well within our rights…..legally and morally, to be upset and to demand to have this problem resolved.
Well stated. My sentiments exactly.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:37 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,563,358 times
Once again, I think we have to decide on what citizenship entails (which I don't think many of us ever really stop to consider). It's obvious that anyone can hold both a "Mastercard" and a "Visa" card, with no apparent conflict, and with neither 'card provider' objecting to the other.

But NOBODY can honestly claim to be both a 'devout Catholic" and a "devout Muslim". The two are incompatible, and to some extent, are mutually exclusive. If you're a good "one", you can't be a good "the other"...period.

How we define citizenship is important in determining which of these two analogies is the more relevant.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:53 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,415,333 times
Quote:
IMO, the concept of dual citizenship negates “true” allegiance to a country; and enables one to essentially alternate loyalty. It’s disturbing that people can immigrate to this country and live as a U.S. citizen, with all of the afforded rights and privileges, while simultaneously vowing allegiance to, and engaging in the political arena of another country. I concur with Ms. Salvato; I just don’t believe one can equally love two countries.

The New Media Journal | The Issue of Dual Citizenship in the US by Nancy Salvato

ITA. As the saying goes you can't ride 2 donkeys with one ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration