Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:57 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,755,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Places like California, Arizona and Texas, right?
Yeah, because believe it or not, theres people who arent Mexican in those places.
Heard of places like Orange County? Or certain parts of the San Fernando Valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 12:05 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,595,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Yeah, because believe it or not, theres people who arent Mexican in those places.
Heard of places like Orange County? Or certain parts of the San Fernando Valley?
And have you heard of all the problems coming from those areas? It's not like the natives of those 3 states have never seen a Mexican, which was the premise of your statement.
Quote:
And that's why you see the biggest clashes over this immigration debate happen in towns that were not used to Mexicans being around.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:16 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,103 times
There has never been a country that has survived with different ethnic groups, without some sort of unity as a country. It just doesn't work.

Too bad, too sad, but it's true. Without something to hold us together (loyalty, language, culture, values, etc.), we have nothing, really.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:36 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
But when people leave the small town or the big city, does that mean they have to deny where they are from? Theyre a resident of the big city, but theyre still a Springfieldian or a Mayberryan or whatever at heart.

No offense intended, but you seem to have a very jaded attitude towards ethnicity. You find it offensive, and in your face. Like its a competition.
The "Beverly Hillbillies" was a 'spoof' on this. These were people from a rural area who moved to the Big City, but insisted on keeping their original way of life. Don't know if you're familiar with the story. To put it in simple terms, it just didn't work. The innocent, clueless "Hillbillies" and their new neighbors just weren't on the same page, at all. Should they have probably made more effort to 'adapt' to their new surroundings? Yes. It was funny as a TV show....not so much, though, in real life. If the Hillbillies hadn't been Caucasians, in fact, the story would have been borderline racist. To put it bluntly, these folks just didn't 'fit in'....at ALL.

Yes, in some ways, I do find the concept of ethnicity offensive, when it's used to bring division into a society that has plenty of 'division' already.
You yourself, for example, have stated many times, in many ways, that Mexicans shouldn't be expected to 'act' like others, because their culture is somehow different...or 'closer' than others. So close, if fact, that you've said that you feel more connection with illegal immigrants than you do with some who oppose their continued arrival. You've apparently arrived at this decision for reasons of ethnicity. If so, your ethnicity is influencing your realtionship with your 'country of record' (America). That's not good, and if ALL ethnic groups in America felt that way, it would be disastrous. Thank God, most Americans DON'T value ethnicity over the duties of citizenship. It wouldn't work. You may 'get away' with such thinking for a while....but if you do, it will ONLY be possible because most others DON'T......and the fact that most of us DON'T, makes possible this multiethnic society...the one in which YOU are free to feel the ethnic pride which 'sets you apart'.

If you detect any irony in all this, it's probably because there IS a lot.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:48 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
Macmeal it is obvious you are not a fan of multiculturalism, my question to you is:

Why does America honor and celebrate so many events that would propagate division by ethnicity amongst its own people?

We have a month designated for everything, a holiday celebrated for everything, why if we are so united do we at the same time promote ethnic celebration and division? It seems America wants it ALL with no downside, that is not possible.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Macmeal it is obvious you are not a fan of multiculturalism, my question to you is:

Why does America honor and celebrate so many events that would propagate division by ethnicity amongst its own people?

We have a month designated for everything, a holiday celebrated for everything, why if we are so united do we at the same time promote ethnic celebration and division? It seems America wants it ALL with no downside, that is not possible.
Good question. There have ALWAYS been plenty of ethnic festivities in America, but not NEARLY the ethnic tensions we now face. The thing that sets today apart, I think, is that we want to 'celebrate our differences' in a way that 'dares others' to object. It's mostly a matter of degree.

There used to be considerable societal pressure to 'act American' and 'become American'....and this pressure insured that most people WOULD. Even 'ethnic people' (?) were hard at work assimilating, and they were basically looked at as "ethnic groups becoming Americans". Today, in some ways we're looked at as "Americans becoming ethnic groups".

Remember Alex Haley's "Roots"? (the TV miniseries)..Suddenly regular Americans 'became' ethnic Americans. My own sister (in her teens at the time) developed an accent that hadn't been heard in our family since my grandparents' day. Everybody decided to look into their 'roots'. It was CRAZY....and that's the time in history when so many Americans became "hyphenated Americans".

So in answer to your question, my 'beef' with all this is mostly a matter of degree. I honestly feel that an artificial concept like our multiethnic society (pretty rare in the world, as you know) depends very heavily for its continued existence on a sense of 'one-ness'. When we 'celebrate our differences', at the expense of denying our similarities, at SOME point, this becomes harmful. I'm not sure exactly where that point IS....but the folks in Yugoslavia, and similar places, are proof that at some point, 'our differences' could mean our demise.

I DO BELIEVE, as I've stated numerous times, that the 'illegal' situation is driving a huge wedge between people in this society..and whether that's "anti-illegals vs pro-illegals".....or "Hispanics vs Everyone Else"..I couldn't say. But it certainly is a divisive subject. And it's not making our society any more agreeable..I think you'd agree with that.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:16 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Good question. There have ALWAYS been plenty of ethnic festivities in America, but not NEARLY the ethnic tensions we now face. The thing that sets today apart, I think, is that we want to 'celebrate our differences' in a way that 'dares others' to object. It's mostly a matter of degree.

There used to be considerable societal pressure to 'act American' and 'become American'....and this pressure insured that most people WOULD. Even 'ethnic people' (?) were hard at work assimilating, and they were basically looked at as "ethnic groups becoming Americans". Today, in some ways we're looked at as "Americans becoming ethnic groups".

Remember Alex Haley's "Roots"? (the TV miniseries)..Suddenly regular Americans 'became' ethnic Americans. My own sister (in her teens at the time) developed an accent that hadn't been heard in our family since my grandparents' day. Everybody decided to look into their 'roots'. It was CRAZY....and that's the time in history when so many Americans became "hyphenated Americans".

So in answer to your question, my 'beef' with all this is mostly a matter of degree. I honestly feel that an artificial concept like our multiethnic society (pretty rare in the world, as you know) depends very heavily for its continued existence on a sense of 'one-ness'. When we 'celebrate our differences', at the expense of denying our similarities, at SOME point, this becomes harmful. I'm not sure exactly where that point IS....but the folks in Yugoslavia, and similar places, are proof that at some point, 'our differences' could mean our demise.

I DO BELIEVE, as I've stated numerous times, that the 'illegal' situation is driving a huge wedge between people in this society..and whether that's "anti-illegals vs pro-illegals".....or "Hispanics vs Everyone Else"..I couldn't say. But it certainly is a divisive subject. And it's not making our society any more agreeable..I think you'd agree with that.
Yes this multiethnic society is very rare, that is what I love about America and it makes a stone SHINE! But wouldn't you think the degrees would change over time? Especially when you add people from entirely different cultures.

I hear many people say we have a common bond of speaking English...
In my eyes, we are still united, but unfortunately it is not at a personal level but at a capital level...everyone in American is united by want for money.

Money trumps all in this society IMO, money has caused division, not Latinos, not Irish, Italians or Chinese.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Yes this multiethnic society is very rare, that is what I love about America and it makes a stone SHINE! But wouldn't you think the degrees would change over time? Especially when you add people from entirely different cultures.

I hear many people say we have a common bond of speaking English...
In my eyes, we are still united, but unfortunately it is not at a common level but at a capital level...everyone in American is united by want for money.

Money trumps all in this society IMO, money has caused division, not Latinos, not Irish, Italians or Chinese.
In some ways, you're making my point..(or I'm making yours). I HOPE 'money' isn't all it's about...I'd like to think SOME of what we have is ideals.

But when you mention 'people from entirely different cultures', I worry. HOW different? And if they're THAT different, should we ask that they change? Remember, Mach, you're an old Navy man (like me). There are PLENTY of things that 'go on' around the world that I SURE as Hell wouldn't want to be brought here....and I imagine you'd agree. The question then becomes, if you come here, how much do WE have a right to ask you to change? A little? or a LOT? Don't want to sound "un-PC", but I suppost that would depend partially on where you're from. An bank employee or a retail clerk from ANY foreign culture, for example, would probably fit in better here than a headhunter. But how do we put this into practice? PC prevents us from discussing this freely.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:50 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,385,734 times
Quote:
Absolutely. You are right on the money. Now to answer the question "Why dual citizenship?" Just email or write millionaire Rupert Murdoch and ask for a detailed answer. I bet he'll give you one of two words "money" or "business."

Old 07-16-2008, 01:58 PM

299 posts, read 547,255 times
Quote:

It be freezing in Hell because I agree with you again. I am also against muulticulturism and I am against all of the special holidays. I am for diversity though and sick of the two words being construed of as the same when they aren't. I have always loved the melting pot, but these days it no longer exists. It is more of a salad bowl with each separate part staying separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration