Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:37 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,780,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrapola1975 View Post
What's the definition of ILLEGAL immigrant??
If I had to guess, I'd say somebody who immigrated illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 04:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,901,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
im·mi·grant (ĭm'ĭ-grənt) Pronunciation Key
n.
  1. A person who leaves one country to settle permanently in another.
  2. A plant or animal that establishes itself in an area where it previously did not exist.
adj. Of or relating to immigrants or the act of immigrating.

huh?
"Alien" means foreign. There's nothing wrong with the term alien. There are legal aliens such as resident aliens who are following the laws.

Illegal alien means just that. A foreign citizen who is breaking the laws to be here.

If I go to Mexico without the proper permit -- passport or tourist visa, then I'm an illegal alien in that country.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say somebody who immigrated illegally.
Not all here illegally "immigrated". In fact many illegals originally intended to return home in a short time. It's after they arrive and find out how much easier it is to just stay on that they decide to stay forever.

They are more properly called illegal aliens because they aren't immigrants if they want to go home some day and they aren't immigrants if they could be deported back home some day.

A few of my neighbors have actually decided to return home. They were illegal aliens and now they're not but they were never really immigrants. They never intended to learn English, they simply wanted some money. One guy for a while looked like he might stay, he had a girlfriend and everything. He suddenly got homesick or something, it was like he was here one day, packed up and went home to his common-law wife and child the next.

Another neighbor was deported for being in some bar fight and he decided he's going to stay in Mexico where he thinks it's better because he can work his own little farm/ranch instead of those of others. He was also an illegal alien and now is not.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:15 PM

893 posts, read 1,584,267 times
We need to adopted laws like Australia and make it mandatory for one to become a citizen of this country, you have to show financial responsibility.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:35 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,438,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
We need to adopted laws like Australia and make it mandatory for one to become a citizen of this country, you have to show financial responsibility.
Believe it or not the same law was a premise to legally immigrate to the US. As a matter of fact, while it is no longer adhered to, it may still be on the books.

The original premise for immigrating to America was for an alien to temporarily fill a job that no American was available to fill. Additionally, the employer was first required to prove there was a need and was made totally responsible (financially and morally) for the presence and actions of the immigrant. They were also required to send them back to their homeland once the needs of the employer had been fulfilled.

Unfortunately, common sense and loyalty to America has been replaced by corporate greed.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:53 PM

3,275 posts, read 5,216,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's how it is in all countries. For example, before I can apply for a student visa or a carte de sejour to attend university in France, I have to have a guarantor who is a citizen, a steady income, or proof from a French bank that I have sufficient resources(5000 EUR in this case) to last my stay.

At least I'd like to believe the authorities in America are smarter than to let people in legally who have no money or income.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:34 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,560,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Believe it or not the same law was a premise to legally immigrate to the US. As a matter of fact, while it is no longer adhered to, it may still be on the books.

The original premise for immigrating to America was for an alien to temporarily fill a job that no American was available to fill. Additionally, the employer was first required to prove there was a need and was made totally responsible (financially and morally) for the presence and actions of the immigrant. They were also required to send them back to their homeland once the needs of the employer had been fulfilled.
Unfortunately, common sense and loyalty to America has been replaced by corporate greed.
Why is it different now?

Old 07-26-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Why is it different now?

Greed. The government has allowed employers to make their own rules and you will see employers still bringing in immigrants where unemployment rates are sky high for that reason.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:37 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,262,581 times
My kids recently attended summer camp, most of the counselors were from another country, on some sort of visa, of course, that's because there simply aren't any American people that age looking for work, ie, college students, young adults, etc. they are filling a need, I'm sure, that camp couldn't operate without imported labor because there' just no one in this country they could hire. And,. of course, with their thick accents and limited understanding of English they make the perfect camp counselor! Let's give my kids a world view! Lets see, that college kid down the street who couldn't find a summer job, perhaps he should apply in australia, or Canada, or Europe, I'm sure they would place him over thier own citizens out of work!

Old 07-26-2009, 01:41 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,262,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Why is it different now?

Its also different now because thousands of our own citizens are out of work, they should come first! They say they can't fill those jobs with American workers because they want the cheaper foreing labor, so they post the job with a ton of ridiculous requirements, interview hundreds of Americans, find some little something to disqualify them, then say they can't fill the job with Americans, so, open it up to foreign workers who usually can't even speak the languagw worth dirt!

BTW, ever see a foreign worker standing in a job fair line? If they're anywhere they're on the inside, working the booths!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration