Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:12 PM

779 posts, read 2,312,024 times

Advertisements

i understand america being a new type of country and developing to be a hub of the world. what i don't understand is why europe is having an immigration problem as well. after hearing all the ins and outs of this immigration issue. it seems, bottomline, the fault is with those countries.

ideally america should be as multicultural as possible but making sure that there are more streamlined proportionate numbers so not one group gets the upper hand etc. but the rest of the world should be able to keep their traditional cultural and country. this is the imbalance i see.

not for the reasons people cite as 'not enough jobs' or 'america for americans' as much as their is just not enough room for all the disadvantaged people in the world to swarm in one country which is ridiculous. there are over a hundreds of millions of them around the world. it would be so much more efficient, sane and far-reaching in humaneness to set up relationships with other countries to educate people and send them back to their country as well as have some hosting exchanges as this keeps the flow of information going throughout the world.

i see it as what's best for the entire world and i do think america does need to not only control the immigration but choose candidates who are more than just trying to further themselves but have more loftier goals, those who would get an education to actually help others besides themselves and have the conscientiousness to use that education to better the lot of thier people in their country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 02:26 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,902,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Since the Regan administration, the immigration quotas have been severly relaxed. Becoming a U.S. citizen is too easy, and the high influx of immigrants is to blame for the high unemployment rate. Our nation has not really had a good economy since the 1960 when the National Origins Act was in effect. It was when LBJ dismantled it, immigration went haywire and our prisons started filling up.

Thats we the peoples fault . We keep leaving them in office until they almost die in their chairs .

We hide and watch when they fill our streets flying foreign flags demanding we give them more benefit .

We sit idly by while being invaded and then blame them for wanting to come and have milions of kids for us to feed .

Now they control our' leaders ' and our nations laws are ignored . It started in 60s and has escalated every since .

Old 07-26-2009, 02:31 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,902,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
i understand america being a new type of country and developing to be a hub of the world. what i don't understand is why europe is having an immigration problem as well. after hearing all the ins and outs of this immigration issue. it seems, bottomline, the fault is with those countries.

ideally america should be as multicultural as possible but making sure that there are more streamlined proportionate numbers so not one group gets the upper hand etc. but the rest of the world should be able to keep their traditional cultural and country. this is the imbalance i see.

not for the reasons people cite as 'not enough jobs' or 'america for americans' as much as their is just not enough room for all the disadvantaged people in the world to swarm in one country which is ridiculous. there are over a hundreds of millions of them around the world. it would be so much more efficient, sane and far-reaching in humaneness to set up relationships with other countries to educate people and send them back to their country as well as have some hosting exchanges as this keeps the flow of information going throughout the world.

i see it as what's best for the entire world and i do think america does need to not only control the immigration but choose candidates who are more than just trying to further themselves but have more loftier goals, those who would get an education to actually help others besides themselves and have the conscientiousness to use that education to better the lot of thier people in their country.

I agree . But if we educate them the leaders won't be able to grow old and dictating in office . take a good look at what we have in their now, mostly liars ,perverrts and criminals . Tax avaders, adulters , promising change and going back on almost everry word of it .

Old 07-26-2009, 02:34 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,638,082 times
the fault does not lie with the 21 million that are here. the fault lies with our government for winking at all 21 million when it happened.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:22 PM

779 posts, read 2,312,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
I agree . But if we educate them the leaders won't be able to grow old and dictating in office . take a good look at what we have in their now, mostly liars ,perverrts and criminals . Tax avaders, adulters , promising change and going back on almost everry word of it .
i meant having less selfish and narrow-minded agendas like people actually spreading out and improving the world rather than just congregating unnecessarily in one place and congesting it like 'oh, i got it made now, who cares about all those who aren't where i came from etc' same goes for anyone anywhere. i think those who want to enter another country because they want to escape thier country full of poverty, war or disease should have the motivation to get an education to go and help those people and thier country. if they don't they are not helping anyone or using that education as productively as it can be applied but just congregating and congesting one area. in other words, they are not being the solution of why they wanted to leave in the first place or to improve the world for that matter. they are placing that burden on someone else to do it. granted i realize that not everyone can or the timing is wrong politically if that is also an issue. also it usually takes more than one but several people to make a greater impact to make a change or have some reckoning power but it can never happen if people don't have the motivation in thier heart in the first place to try to find allies or backing or even notice a ripe opportunity to make a change for the better. to some extent it's very sad and dries the heart when you keep hearing people talk about the plight of others very standoffishly. at a certain point it is just wrong no matter how blessed you are or what your ancestors accomplished etc imo. to not understand human suffering is not being human so i don't respect those who also just care about their own country, people and have no room in their heart for anything beyond that. to me that's not even a normal human being. there is no heart or soul there. this does not mean one needs to be unnecessarily accomodating, self-defeating or flagrantly permissive which benefits no one really. there are wrongs commited by both sides either in ignorance or opportunism or both.

that's one of the reasons i don't respect all immigrants whether they be legal or illegal because you have to look at their individual character. equally though, natives don't have a right to take advantage of or do immoral things to strangers either.

funny, this whole issue is just about good or bad people. that's really the problem in the world along with ignorance. at least those who are ignorant but have a good heart can be awakened and their hearts be lit and their minds opened to the truth.

of course, not all immigration is about this type of context and it's just normal where people go work or live in another country for awhile and has nothing to do with desperation. it's just an exchange or a sign of civil relations between countries. but when immigration does become a problem is the scenario and dynamic that i did point out where the problem and solution needs to be looked at in it's entirety to far-reaching consequences both positive and negative with solutions that would match.

Last edited by leaana; 07-26-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,219,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Since the Regan administration, the immigration quotas have been severly relaxed. Becoming a U.S. citizen is too easy, and the high influx of immigrants is to blame for the high unemployment rate. Our nation has not really had a good economy since the 1960 when the National Origins Act was in effect. It was when LBJ dismantled it, immigration went haywire and our prisons started filling up.
Exactly. LBJ and the Dementedcrats abolished the quotas on immigration not Reagan.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM

47,071 posts, read 26,170,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
We need to adopted laws like Australia and make it mandatory for one to become a citizen of this country, you have to show financial responsibility.
If you're immigrating on family basis (spouse, children, parents), the US citizen/legal resident sponsoring has to document that he/she can provide for both of you at a certain percentage above above the poverty level.

If you're on an H1B, you're basically working - if not, your visa expires in 90 days.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:34 AM

24,839 posts, read 11,261,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If you're immigrating on family basis (spouse, children, parents), the US citizen/legal resident sponsoring has to document that he/she can provide for both of you at a certain percentage above above the poverty level.

If you're on an H1B, you're basically working - if not, your visa expires in 90 days.
I thought it was 10 days after end of employment. Can you post a link please?

It is 125% above poverty level.
2009 Federal Poverty Guidelines

The 2009 Poverty Guidelines for the
48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia Persons in family Poverty guideline
1 $10,830
2 14,570
3 18,310
4 22,050
5 25,790
6 29,530
7 33,270
8 37,010
For families with more than 8 persons, add $3,740 for each additional person.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:50 AM

47,071 posts, read 26,170,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I thought it was 10 days after end of employment. Can you post a link please?
Not a chance, because I was 100% wrong. An H-1B visa holder is technically in violation the second he's no longer working. Pretty harsh, actually.

The 10 day grace period is apparently for when the visa expires, not for earlier employment termination.

MurthyDotCom : No Grace Period for Laid-Off H1B Workers (http://www.murthy.com/news/UDnograc.html - broken link)

Old 07-29-2009, 06:51 AM

24,839 posts, read 11,261,857 times
Thank you Dane.

I hear more and more of H1B who successfully established themselves and their families in the US and planned to go the route of employer sponsored Green Card and then the bubble bursts.

Either the employer sponsors the Green Card but the employee gets laid off. In today's job market this can be an issue. Particularly when the bread winner is tied to the three-year US stay to be able to apply for citizenship and cannot accept employment out of the country. Yes, waivers up to a year may be issued but normally the point is to stay in the US permanently.

The other problem is an employer simply not sponsoring a Green Card and the employee having to uproot family and career again and going the route of another H1B, potentially investment or simply returning home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration