Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:06 PM

215 posts, read 474,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
thanks for sharing your memories about south gate.

it's extremely disturbing that people in this town tried to intimidate your relatives. i realize it was a different era, but still.
Thanks, for the most part my cousins have no bitterness from what happened. I was most likely only a few people because I know they have life long friends with quite a few who grew up on their block.

BTW I'm sorry about some the typos as I am unable to edit the post now, hopefully it all made sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 05:57 PM

203 posts, read 749,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
if you don't mind sharing, i'd love to hear what south gate was like back in the 1950s and 1960s. what are your memories of the town from that era? when did you first notice that the community was no longer 95+% non-hispanic white and that latinos were starting to become a more visible presence rather than an extreme minority? was this process already underway when you moved out in 1971, and did it happen gradually or suddenly?
Hi back! First of all, thank you ALL VERY MUCH for your advice and insights. It sounds like South Gate is still safe enough - at least in the daytime - and I'll definitely plan on making an auto tour when I come over. I look forward to visiting the old neighborhood, even though I'm sure it doesn't look the same anymore.

As for my recollections: When I lived there, South Gate was considered a solid, middle-class, predominantly white city. (Some said, "Lily White.") We did have some Hispanic kids in Elementary school (Bryson Ave. School) and South Gate Junior and High Schools that I grew up with, but there were no black kids until my last year or so at South Gate High ('67,) and then only a handful.

I can't remember the names of most of the kids I went to school with (Hispanic or otherwise,) but do well remember a little cutie named Diane "Dee Dee" Dominquez, who I knew from about the 3rd grade through High School. She was a very nice girl and very popular. She was kind of like our "Annette."

I don't remember any overt racism at the time. We all got along very well together, at least as far as I was concerned. I had a Jewish friend named Larry Genstile, and didn't even know he was Jewish until years later. I just didn't think about things like that. He was just my friend. We grew out of touch, but I believe he moved to Israel and became a doctor. Am not positive though.

I remember walking from my home on Kauffman (near Southern) to Bryson Ave. Elementary School, and then - through the years - South Gate Junior High and then SGHS. In South Gate, neither girls nor boys had to worry about walking the streets - day or night. It was a very safe town back then.

South Gate was right out of "Leave It To Beaver" or "The Donna Reed Show." A "typical," idyllic, 60's middle class California neighborhood. (BTW, I learned just a couple years ago that Donna Reed won a beauty contest in South Gate in the early 40's, and was the main attraction of the South Gate float in the Rose Parade back then.)

As a kid, I remember going to the park and playing. In the corner of the park near Hildreth and Southern, they had an old M3 WWII tank that I loved, and used to climb all over. I don't think it's there anymore, sadly, but it was a kick at the time. I think it was there about 40 years.

I also remember when they built the park's recreational center, around 1958. I and other kids used to play inside it on weekends (when the workers were off) while it was being built.

The park was usually busy on weekends, and I do remember seeing many Hispanic families having picnics there, but never saw any of my school friends among them.

I really cannot say when the town began to noticeably turn predominantly Hispanic. It could have been happening while I was still there, but I have a feeling it didn't really start to happen until after I was gone (about 1971.)

I used to cruise Tweedy Blvd a bit, but I was not one of the "cool" kids, so for me it was not really an "American Graffiti" experience. But EVERYBODY cruised Tweedy at one time or another. That's back when gas was about 29 cents a gallon.

From early on I would go to the "Allen" theatre on Tweedy to see matinees of Jerry Lewis comedies, John Wayne Westerns, and 50's Sci Fi and monster movies, etc. The Allen was a small, but nice, little neighborhood theatre. I doubt it's still there now, but wish it was.

For big movies my parents took me to the "Vogue" theatre on Long Beach Blvd just off Tweedy. It was a much bigger and nicer theatre. I don't think it's there anymore either.

One place I KNOW is not there anymore - and South Gate is MUCH poorer because of it - is the "Lucky Boy" hamburger stand, on Firestone, across the street from South Gate Junior High. Best burgers in town for years and years. It was owned by a family of Greeks, and you'd go there and hear them shouting orders back and forth to each other in Greek while they prepared the orders. It was right out of, "Chee-burger! Pepsi!"

My biggest treat as a kid was us going to Lucky Boy and getting a burger (the sauce was fantastic!), their big, krinkle-cut fries, and a cherry-Coke. It was heaven. I've never found another burger like it, and I miss it greatly.

To add insult to the injury of it being gone, I understand it was replaced by a McDonald's!

One hilarious aside (to me, anyway) concerning living in South Gate... My parents moved out of South Gate in 1973. We had a nice little "ranch" style house there that had a pool and backyard den, so it was one of the nicer homes on the block. When they sold it, the sale price was $25,000. About 7 years later - after the massive inflation of the Carter years - I saw that the house was then worth well over $300,000! I've no idea what it's worth today, but since then I've always said, "If only they had waited a few more years to sell the place!!!"

Guess that's all I can think of right now. I do hope I've given you a little insight as to what South Gate was like in the 50s-60s. Like most kids, I didn't appreciate it at the time as much as I should have, but looking back, I now realize that it was a very nice place to grow up in, indeed!

Thanks again for the safety info. I'm sure I'll find some disappointments waiting there for me, but still look forward to seeing the old place again.

Thanks.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 PM

3 posts, read 13,079 times
I have you beat in age, am caucasian, and was actually born and raised in South Gate. Do you remember the Suburban
Hospital on Southern Avenue? That's where I was born. Can't be too many around that can say that.

I used to work at the South Gate Park for over 10 years and graduated Sanford Avenue, SG Junior HS, and South Gate HS.

I have lived in the city for over 50 years and have seen all the changes people have mentioned. Recently I retired and returned to SG after living and working in the SF Bay area for about 10 years. I moved back to South Gate to fix up a rental property and then planned on moving as soon as I could. That was 3 years ago.

What's the neighborhood like now? Similiar to what it was when I grew up here in the 50's & 60's. Mom's walk their kids to school, people walk their dogs around the block, kids ride their bikes & skateboards, most residents are hard working, honest people. Yes there are a few "locos", but aren't they everywhere? I have great neighbors and my Spanish is improving. I used to run around the South Gate Park to get my running fix, and now I walk around the park 3-4 times a week during the day. I have had zero problems since moving back here. In my opinion, you should definitely visit your old home town.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Trojanfan; 08-30-2013 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 08-31-2013, 12:21 AM

P.S.--The tank is still at the Park. It's on the Tweedy side by the veterans fountain.

The Vogue theater is still there, only the name has changed to Teatro Los Pinos.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:09 PM

Thanks, Trojanfan! Nice to know the tank is still around! My brother worked for the park in the 50's, maintaining the baseball fields, etc. His name is Alan. Don't know if you knew him. He played baseball (first base) for Long Beach State.

It's nice to know the old town is still reasonably safe. Although I'll be careful, I am relieved that I can visit some of my old haunts without having to worry too much about my safety.

I just wish to God Lucky Boy was still there!!!

Thanks again, so much, for the info!

Old 09-01-2013, 07:37 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
We used to go to South Gate park for their July 4th fireworks show in the early 60s. And of course, South Gate drive in would show Rated X movies in the late 60s. I remember me and my friends climbed a tree once behind the movie fence and watched part of a dirty movie.

One of the Drive-in security guards came walking and walked right beneath us. I lived in South Gate for a short time in the early 80s. Those were fun times.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 PM

341 posts, read 708,347 times
fwiw, I've always felt safe there when I frequently encountered the area. As you know and since you've left, SG is proximal to Watts, Compton, and Paramount. What you may not know is since you were around SG is predominantly Latino.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
fwiw, I've always felt safe there when I frequently encountered the area. As you know and since you've left, SG is proximal to Watts, Compton, and Paramount. What you may not know is since you were around SG is predominantly Latino.
Yes. I believe it's about 97% now. That doesn't bother me.

I was just concerned about possible gang activity related to drugs, etc. I didn't want to be driving along and a have a car full of guys with AK-47's pull up next to me.

In Cali now, it seems like only criminals are allowed to have guns.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:19 PM

Default SG Changes

Hey Lowroller.

Glad to hear that you are returning to visit your old stomping grounds.

I wish Lucky Boys was still there too! Also, many times after working out at SG Park we used to
go over to A & W to quench our thirst just off the corner of Atlantic & Tweedy.

Couple of other places I miss are Chris & Pitts BBQ on Tweedy Bl, and Ernies Mexican Restaurant on Long Beach Blvd. (orginal one was in Lynwood and then they moved just off the corner of Firestone and Long Beach Bl. Ernies' tacos were the best ever!

Have a safe trip.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanfan View Post
Hey Lowroller.

Glad to hear that you are returning to visit your old stomping grounds.

I wish Lucky Boys was still there too! Also, many times after working out at SG Park we used to
go over to A & W to quench our thirst just off the corner of Atlantic & Tweedy.

Couple of other places I miss are Chris & Pitts BBQ on Tweedy Bl, and Ernies Mexican Restaurant on Long Beach Blvd. (orginal one was in Lynwood and then they moved just off the corner of Firestone and Long Beach Bl. Ernies' tacos were the best ever!

Have a safe trip.
My father worked in the restaurant business and knew Chris of "Chris and Pitts" very well. We ate there often.

I never knew of "Ernie's." Sounds like I missed something good.

I look forward to going back home - even if it wont be quite the same.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles