Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 12:25 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,942,727 times

Advertisements

The real true answer here is South Gate has always been a fairly-safe, middle-class city since beginning of time, except that the demographics today have become more densely-populated, more youthful-minded, while the young people accidentally don't have better manners than their parents before. Younger age people like low-ride, fast cars, and they do scream more loudly at house parties than before. But, they have no plans to increase crime rate at all, as always, since the 1950s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 11:51 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
The real true answer here is South Gate has always been a fairly-safe, middle-class city since beginning of time, except that the demographics today have become more densely-populated, more youthful-minded, while the young people accidentally don't have better manners than their parents before. Younger age people like low-ride, fast cars, and they do scream more loudly at house parties than before. But, they have no plans to increase crime rate at all, as always, since the 1950s.
Is this a data driven statement or a political correct wishful thinking?

Old 01-27-2021, 02:01 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Southgate?

Y'all realize, that "South Gate" IS located @ the south gate of the Cudahy Ranch?

Only time I've been there, was to visit the Weatherby facility.

Dunno anything else about the city.

Old 01-27-2021, 02:39 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
https://www.city-data.com/city/South-...alifornia.html

The crime rate in 2018 was:

City: 312.7
US average: 274

Old 01-28-2021, 12:34 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,942,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Is this a data driven statement or a political correct wishful thinking?
All men are created equal and the right to live as desire. I didn't mention any ethnic.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:28 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
All men are created equal and the right to live as desire. I didn't mention any ethnic.
So I thought. It's your idealism talking. Not based on facts.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:18 PM

31 posts, read 31,693 times
I have friends in South Gate and they have no issues with it. With most of these areas, things were typically worse in the 80s and 90s but have gotten better.

Cypress Hill are from South Gate so that's something

Old 02-12-2021, 11:32 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
I'm not as old and I actually lived on the other side of the tracks in Watts back in the late 60's and early 70's. At that time South Gate was still mostly white and had a large middle-class blue collar mid-western feel about it. Firestone Tires and General Motors and I believe there was a Steel Company as well had a huge plant that employed thousands of workers in this town. I even remember many of the workers at Firestone taking the bus get to and from work.

Some of my relatives on my dad side who are mexican-american (not from Mexico, but orgin is Texas and New Mexico) that look white themselves moved in around 1959. My cousins said most neighbors were nice them, but some tried to run them away by burning crosses in their yards. The would wake up to go to school and see a burning cross in their yard.

I also know that South Gate did not want kids from Watts coming into their city and using their parks, and pools. You had to show proof like a untility bill to prove your residency and pay a fee to use the pool. Since we had the same last name as my uncle, we used his address, and my dad this also did this so my sister and brother could go to school in South Gate instead of in Watts. This is what I pretty much remember about this city during the 60's and 70's.
I never knew that So Cal was that racist. To an outsider, So Cal seemed like some kind of far less racist place. When I talked with an elderly acquaintance once who was originally from So Texas and Mex-American like me. She said that the owner of a home in Woodland Hills would not sell to them in the late 50s, so they had to move to Redondo Bch. Not sure what the couple saw in Woodland Hills? Even still, she said that it was better than what they left behind in So Texas. I drove through South Gate once a few times and noticed the cool housing stock, not so cookie cutter like so many neighborhoods. I’m actually surprised that it hasn’t gentrified more.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:16 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Goggles View Post

Cypress Hill are from South Gate so that's something
They are also self admitted gang members from the Bloods

Old 03-21-2024, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 76 times
First of all - no South Gate is not most famous for some Dodge dealership. Knock that off. The SG into LA was a great place to grow up during my youth 62 to 77. I lived on the border of Lynwood & SG -- essentially Abbott Road between Atlantic and Otis. I went to Roosevelt Elementary for 7 years. Tweedy Blvd had a large number of businesses with the old fashion angle parking spots in front. My favorite place was Ernie's Mexican Restaurant right across from my grandparents' house. SG Park was a great location for pop warner football or baseball. Of course, I spent most of my time at Lynwood Park and the plunge (Olympic indoor pool with nice high dive). I miss those days but yes it is safe. Please. Of course, like most places, drugs and gangs are an issue but if you are not looking to make a buy, you should be fine. And the General Motors Plant could be something that SG is remembered for. I will always remember the Alta Dena Milk Production Facility on Atlantic. On the opposite side of Lynwood, we had a Sears which was awesome too! And lastly, St Francis Hospital is a landmark in that area!

Read more: [url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-angeles/1938936-south-gate-safe-4.html[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles