Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 05:30 PM

8,595 posts, read 11,028,718 times

Advertisements

Anyone who watches the news locally knows there is a tremendous presence of homeless people along the Santa Ana river in Orange county, and there are plans underway to clear out these encampments.
That will do nothing but send them to a different part of the river, upstream, or down stream.
Many of these people for sure are illegal aliens from the south.
Ice knows these encampments are there , so why do they not create a sweep of the area, and deport many of these people?

I believe an effort by cities, and the state to build, and fund camps through out the state, as well as ice rounding up these illegal homeless, would do a tremendous amount of good to ease the homeless situation in California.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 05:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,686,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Will someone explain to me what is wrong with building lagre camps out in the desert to house these people?
These camps would have full time staff to attend to all the homeless people's needs.

There would be medical facilities, mental health counseling, Sources for education, job counseling. and most of all, a roof over their head.

The money is there, it was voted on, so instead of the money going into politicians pockets, let's use it as it was designed to do.
This business of moving them from one riverbed location to another one, has got to stop.

Bob.
Why not just send them to Harvard and Yale?

First off there is those pesky documents, you know the Bill of Rights and the US Constitution. You just don't round up people and put them in internment camps.

This happened to Japanese Americans during WW2, a very shameful period in US history.

But for sh**ts and giggles I will play along.

How long do you house these people? Forever or is there a timeline?

All the employees needed for this the doctors, counselors, educators, where are they all coming from? Do they have to move out to the desert as well, what's their incentive? Do they get a free house out in the desert. What about water issues?

How about people who decide they no longer want to work and pay rent, can they say they're homeless and just go to the camps?

Your idea has more holes in it than swiss cheese.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:09 PM

8,374 posts, read 6,474,738 times
So for our tax money their going to build brand new, spick and span housing for these bums who will promptly destroy them. Thy're ferrell, they don't want any responsibility at all. And who is going to be the lucky ones who get chosen for this new housing?

Old 02-09-2018, 06:18 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,201,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I think we probably need to keep our homeless situation in context. Yes, it's bad - but I can tell you unequivocally we're light years better off in this regard than San Francisco or Seattle is.

I mostly just appreciate the irony-slash-synergy that the best course of action with these camps is to burn them to the ground, and they're already fire hazards.
You can't walk 50 feet in LA without seeing a homeless person, encampment rv, tent you get the idea. If San Fran is worse then LA God help Ca.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:29 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,705,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

You better start doing some research on how some of these fires are started. Take a look at the Santa Rosa fire, the trees didn't burn.....put on your thinking cap.
Who do you believe started the Skirball fire, the Keebler Elves?

Old 02-09-2018, 08:22 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,982,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why not just send them to Harvard and Yale?

First off there is those pesky documents, you know the Bill of Rights and the US Constitution. You just don't round up people and put them in internment camps.

This happened to Japanese Americans during WW2, a very shameful period in US history.

But for sh**ts and giggles I will play along.

How long do you house these people? Forever or is there a timeline?

All the employees needed for this the doctors, counselors, educators, where are they all coming from? Do they have to move out to the desert as well, what's their incentive? Do they get a free house out in the desert. What about water issues?

How about people who decide they no longer want to work and pay rent, can they say they're homeless and just go to the camps?

Your idea has more holes in it than swiss cheese.
I think facilities for the homeless are the best idea. The city and county used to be able to arrest homeless people monopolizing public space by camping with their garbage. Then the courts ruled that cities can't do that while there isn't shelter space available for them. While some people have a problem with those rulings, I think most people understand where the court is coming from.

While barracks in the Antelope Valley desert might be a place to start, I think it would eventually evolve into apartment buildings. The problem currently is that there is about $4,000,000,000 in funds dedicated to building homes for the homeless. With 50-60,000 homeless in LA County(some of those being couples), you're going to have to get the per unit cost down to about $90,000 to house them. Building in the LA Basin with high land costs means it costs about 4x that much at a minimum, so not much housing can get built. However, if you bought a large parcel of ranchland in the eastern Antelope Valley, you could probably achieve that cost. There are already a fair number of professionals (Social Workers, teachers, etc), that live in Western Lancaster, many of whom are stuck commuting all the way to LA now. Win-win.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:35 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,201,372 times
Antelope Valley isn't Siberia. But they will be separated from liquor stores and drug dealers. They can do counseling and rehab Hell maybe even job training. I don't think it should be a enforced enternment but it might get some people off the streets where they will just keep spiraling down.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:06 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,653,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I think we probably need to keep our homeless situation in context. Yes, it's bad - but I can tell you unequivocally we're light years better off in this regard than San Francisco or Seattle is.

I mostly just appreciate the irony-slash-synergy that the best course of action with these camps is to burn them to the ground, and they're already fire hazards.
Not at all. LA is even worse than those cities, and worse than any city in Mexico to boot.

Build the camps.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:27 AM

19 posts, read 41,641 times
Default Why does L.A has so many homeless?

It's really impressive how LA (in fact California or either US) has so many homeless people. Why that?
High rental prices? Overcrowed city? Any reason?

Old 02-10-2018, 06:29 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,329,017 times
Temperate weather combined with a housing crisis really is the recipe for a high homeless population. Tons of people live in cars as well. When 450k buys you a house in Compton. Problems are going to rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles