Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 01:36 PM

102,259 posts, read 108,258,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Rain is great, I'm always happy to have plenty of rain, but it's a bit too much when someone says, "Your problem is you're not getting your daily walks in the sunshine."
lol. I'll check the SD weather reports before I say anything about enjoying sunshine again. But getting out to walk in drizzle or misty rain works, too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 01:54 PM

55 posts, read 34,719 times
I am from Hawaii but moving to California. I think the real question what is going happen after they ease on travel restrictions and self quarantine? I guarantee there will be a ton of folks in the east coast bringing the coronavirus virus over to the west side and Hawaii. Not only the east coast, but the Chinese love vacationing in Hawaii and California.

In Hawaii, they said they need 4 weeks of no coronavirus cases before reopening public schools.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:24 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,313,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes, the news media is doing what it does: news ...
You of course miss the point entirely. The cable news stations ARE NOT just covering a news story the way they cover other news stories, they are covering Covid 19 to almost the exclusion of all other news and bring on daily, hourly "experts" to talk about it. The constant drumming has an impact. Why did people rush out and buy up every existing roll of toilet paper in a matter of days?

Quote:
That all said, you like a number of others seem to want to equate Covid19 with the flu, at least in terms of impact. The issue here is that Covid19 is ON TOP of what our health system and daily lives are geared up for. It represents ADDITIONAL burden of clearly impressive negative impact - with true potential yet unknown ... and treatment / prevention vaccines undeveloped.
Again you don't get it. It isn't equating Covid 19 with the flu in terms of impact, it is comparing the COVERAGE of the impact. If the news media talked about how Covid 19 was overwhelming health resources on top of the 55 MILLION Americans who had had the flu so far and if they had been covering the 55 MILLION people who were victims of the flu so far, then it would be a different conversation.

Quote:
Get it?
Pretty sure I do, not sure others do.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:31 PM

21,777 posts, read 16,443,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You of course miss the point entirely. The cable news stations ARE NOT just covering a news story the way they cover other news stories, they are covering Covid 19 to almost the exclusion of all other news and bring on daily, hourly "experts" to talk about it. The constant drumming has an impact. Why did people rush out and buy up every existing roll of toilet paper in a matter of days?

Again you don't get it. It isn't equating Covid 19 with the flu in terms of impact, it is comparing the COVERAGE of the impact. If the news media talked about how Covid 19 was overwhelming health resources on top of the 55 MILLION Americans who had had the flu so far and if they had been covering the 55 MILLION people who were victims of the flu so far, then it would be a different conversation.

Pretty sure I do, not sure others do.
No. I get it fine. YOU are absent understanding.

This IS the age of blanket coverage. It IS what they do. And if you don’t like: don’t watch / read so much. I don’t. Not hard.

You are angry because OTHER people are too stupid to moderate? Lololololmfao. 10,000 years since we left the caves and you’re just realizing this is human nature?

The news media IS talking exactly about how Covid19 is overwhelming the health resources we operate with normally.

Yeah, all hail Tim the Great Understander

Old 04-09-2020, 03:51 PM

1,485 posts, read 957,563 times
You filthy animals that discard your latex gloves in the parking lot don't get my sympathy when you end up getting the chinese virus.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
You filthy animals that discard your latex gloves in the parking lot don't get my sympathy when you end up getting the chinese virus.
Kind of how I feel about Rockstars who discard their condoms in alleys getting the clap

Old 04-09-2020, 08:16 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,313,370 times
Quote:
No. I get it fine. YOU are absent understanding. This IS the age of blanket coverage. It IS what they do. And if you don’t like: don’t watch / read so much. I don’t. Not hard.
Uh... uh... if this is the age of blanket coverage and it is what they do, then why didn't they do blanket coverage on the 55 million flu cases and 63,000 dead from flu? It is exactly the point that they aren't covering one story at all while saturating on another.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Uh... uh... if this is the age of blanket coverage and it is what they do, then why didn't they do blanket coverage on the 55 million flu cases and 63,000 dead from flu? It is exactly the point that they aren't covering one story at all while saturating on another.
Tim - ask yourself the same question. And think on it.

The annual flu is not new news. It’s completely ho-hum. News isn’t a public service function (in most cases ... PBS / NPR being the exceptions). News is part of the entertainment business. It’s specialty is (theoretically) showcasing contemporaneous realities ... and the realities that are chosen are what sells the most. This doesn’t mean there is no ethics. There can be and often. This doesn’t mean there is no service performed. There is. But service is not the driver. Profit is the driver. Service is a by-product.

View / read it with this in mind. And check public broadcasting for best balance most often.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:14 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,561,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine808 View Post
I am from Hawaii but moving to California. I think the real question what is going happen after they ease on travel restrictions and self quarantine? I guarantee there will be a ton of folks in the east coast bringing the coronavirus virus over to the west side and Hawaii. Not only the east coast, but the Chinese love vacationing in Hawaii and California.

In Hawaii, they said they need 4 weeks of no coronavirus cases before reopening public schools.
I get the suspicion that many Chinese won't be vacationing outside of China for awhile. A lot of people -- rightly or wrongly -- are agitated over China's mismanagement of this whole thing from its beginning.

Quote:
More than Half of Americans think China should pay Coronavirus reparations, Poll shows
https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-half...150800626.html

Quote:
Per the poll, nearly 90 percent of Republicans believe China, where the coronavirus originated, is responsible for the spread while two-thirds of Democrats surveyed said the same. There’s a little more discrepancy across party lines when it comes to how Chinese President Xi Jinping and his government should reckon with their role in exacerbating crisis, but more than half of Americans believe Beijing should pay some form of reparations.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:07 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,153,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Is it your job to sweep it up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles