Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 07:45 AM

16,430 posts, read 8,242,983 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2022/02/02/karen-...p-john-okeefe/

I have to admit when this story first came out I figured the girlfriend was going to come out and say something like they'd been fighting, he got violent and she hit him with the car in self defense. As the story is unfolding that doesn't seem to be the case and it is being presented as a terrible accident.

It's pretty obvious they were both drunk...her friends said she still seemed drunk that morning....but that will never be able to be proven or even mentioned in court because she didn't take the breathalyzer or get a blood test by the sound of it.

I have so many questions in this as it just doesn't seem at all normal to run over your boyfriend with your vehicle and have no idea that you did it! It seems like her lawyer is trying to really play this down by saying there is no criminal intent and that her even being accused of manslaughter is a reach. Um she hit him with the car and left him there to die. Whether she realized she did it or not shouldn't matter...however there was this case from 2012:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...ey-bike-crash/

truck driver hit and killed guy on bike, didn't realize he did it and he wasn't charged.

However there are plenty of stories where someone is charged when they're driving a car, crash and kill people.

I just feel really bad for the cop's family. They had already lost his sister, then her husband and their kids without parents. He apparently adopted them and raised them.

It doesn't seem like she had reason to kill him but arguments can get heated particularly when drinking and maybe she went nuts...or maybe i watch too much investigation discovery...but it's hard for me to wrap my head around how you could be so drunk that you hit your boyfriend with your car and not realize it. I was thinking she was mad that he wanted to go to a friends house at 12:45am and she didn't.

I also have looked at pics of the house she dropped him off in front of and it's hard to understand how she hit him with such force. If the passenger side of the car was facing the house all he really had to do was get out of the car and he was on the sidewalk. If the car had the driver side facing the house then it sounds like he got out of the car walked around the front and she immediately took off smashing into him. His injuries aren't all that consistent with being hit by a car. He had bloody lacerations on his arms and on the back of his head. The eyes swollen shut and skull fractures make sense if she ran his head over...but if was walking by the car and she hit him I would think it would really just be his lower body that was impacted.

I don't know that the whole truth will ever be know....it does seem like it's going to turn out to just be her words, her lawyers and a few witnesses. He's dead so he can't tell his side.

The lawyer tried to get her bail to 5k not 50k. I was glad the judge wouldn't allow it...I feel like she is getting off kind of easy by being out on bail...50k is probably not that much to her.

I don't know....it just seems very weird. Murder shows are my thing and when it involved a local story I'm into it. This is odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 08:03 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,129,329 times
It looks like it was cleaned up, but yesterday there were a slew of new reviews on her RateMyProfessor saying things like "she's a tough teacher and drives us into the ground!"

When I drop someone off I wait until they're in the house before leaving, especially if it's a significant other, especially if they've been drinking.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:06 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
It looks like it was cleaned up, but yesterday there were a slew of new reviews on her RateMyProfessor saying things like "she's a tough teacher and drives us into the ground!"
Ha i looked there too....there was actually a comment that was made before any of this happened that i found interesting. It was from 2020 i think and said 'she's been known to have fits'. That comment is gone now too.

I just looked and again and a note came up:

Alert
Professor Read's profile is currently locked.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:37 AM

11,510 posts, read 6,027,599 times
"Karen" Read. Just sayin'.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:07 AM

wow crickets on this one. I guess the SSP mall shooting, patriots and cost of construction is more interesting...

Old 02-03-2022, 11:09 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Don't drink and drive, y'all.

I can't imagine not knowing I hit someone, but frankly, I can't imagine driving drunk either. If you know you're going bar hopping, call an Uber or identify a sober driver. Never get in the car with someone who is driving drunk, and make plans in advance to avoid that scenario. Leave your car keys at home if you think you might be tempted to drive if you're out drinking. Take the keys away from people you are traveling with. While not intended to blame the victim, it's hard for me to imagine a 40-something of any sort, and certainly not a police officer and a professor, don't know how to make plans for this situation! But it happens all the time.

A high school friend of mine killed a child (I believe he was 11 or 12) drunk driving while she was in college. She swore up and down afterward that she had no idea she hit anything and she, too, didn't realize anything was amiss until she saw the results on her car the next morning. Having been in the car with her once when she hit a turtle in the road and had to pull over to collect herself, I'm inclined to believe that she didn't know, but it's hard to fathom.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:17 AM

Right, I have a lot of judgements i could make here about the drinking in general here...these people were 41 and 46, not young...but they also had a lot of sadness in their lives (her having a brain tumor, him having lost his sister and brother in law and having an orphaned niece and nephew) so sometimes alcohol numbs the pain. Also some people just never grow up and maybe that was happening here too. The house party O'keefe was headed to at 12:45am was the home of a couple in their 50's. I just cant imagine why on earth anyone would want to be out and about at 12:45am during a snowstorm particularly when you're 46. no way in heck would i be having people over at 12:45 am....but different strokes for different folks i guess.

Anyways...I just wonder if there's more to the story. Alcohol isn't an unusual drug around any age group and most people manage to not kill their boyfriend with a vehicle as they are using it.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:43 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,129,329 times
I'll play. What does the neighborhood look like? Are there a lot of houses around? What're the chances somebody has a Ring doorbell or surveillance that would show what happened?

I saw the review about the professor's "fits". Would be very interesting if there are other similar character references found during the investigation...

Old 02-03-2022, 11:55 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I'll play. What does the neighborhood look like? Are there a lot of houses around? What're the chances somebody has a Ring doorbell or surveillance that would show what happened?

I saw the review about the professor's "fits". Would be very interesting if there are other similar character references found during the investigation...
Investigators have video of the incident from a Ring doorbell camera

Old 02-03-2022, 01:22 PM

5,118 posts, read 2,680,626 times
Based on the extent of his reported injuries he must have been hit very badly. I take issue with the Post referring to an adjunct instructor as a professor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts