Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2024, 05:27 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

I can't say I ever hear boomers comparing themselves to millennials. I do think a lot of Boomers find millenials to be more high maintenance than they ever were...and that is true. It's hard to understand sometimes how people claim to have no money for a house or in savings yet they get their nails done every week along with a $5 coffee everyday. I think I've said before that I'm amazed by what many women spend on themselves in terms beauty treatments.

I know boomers who did sacrifice a lot for their kids. Do most people do that today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 05:33 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Well I don't get my nails done or buy $5 coffee everyday.

Old 01-24-2024, 05:38 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I can't say I ever hear boomers comparing themselves to millennials. I do think a lot of Boomers find millenials to be more high maintenance than they ever were...and that is true. It's hard to understand sometimes how people claim to have no money for a house or in savings yet they get their nails done every week along with a $5 coffee everyday. I think I've said before that I'm amazed by what many women spend on themselves in terms beauty treatments.

I know boomers who did sacrifice a lot for their kids. Do most people do that today?
What are you hearing about spend on beauty treatments? I know pretty much every hair salon I've been to it is always around $150 min per visit. A lot of it seems inflated.....I think if you find a stylist that does a good job they should be able to charge more but for a color, cut blow dry $150+ is a lot. I think they are also high b/c they have to pay the salon assistants (ones who shampoo you) plus the rent too. Nails is something I don't spend $$ on and I do myself. Nail salon visits are something I see as one of the biggest wastes of money AND time (unless I'm on vaca somewhere I'll go to hotel spas and spend the $75). IF you get into Botox and fillers...well then, yes you are also looking at $500 and up per visit every 3-4 months. However, how many people actually do ALL this on a regular basis. I can see the hair salon visits but the med spas stuff..maybe not as often and only a few times a year.

Old 01-24-2024, 05:47 PM

From I can see a lot of women are getting their hair cut/colored/treated pretty regularly, nails, facials, botox, fillers and eyebrows microbladed. The costs very but it's never cheap. I was invited to some event where I have to choose and pay for a beauty treatment. Of course I could decline going if i was really against it, but I'll get something just to be social, lol. Oh and a lot of people are getting IPL treatments for sun damage. I know someone who got it done recently to her arms, had all the sun spots removed. They look great...but was it truly necessary to have that done to your arms? lol. I also wonder will the spots come back or do you have to keep going back to have the IPL done? So much I don't know I guess.

I was looking at the menu of things to get and there are vitamin injections you can get to speed up your metabolism...and some vitamin C injection. Apparently taking a vitamin C supplement or putting vitamin C cream or something on your face isn't enough.

Off the subject of real estate kind of but these could be contributing reasons as to why people have trouble saving.

Old 01-24-2024, 06:22 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Then when student loans are mentioned, they are unaware that most millennials have 6 figures of debt from college.

I’m not sure I’d say most millenials have $100k in loans. Average student loan debt in MA is about $34k

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/stude...bt-statistics/

My own loans were high (compared to peers) but even inflation adjusted, not 6-figures.

Old 01-24-2024, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
From I can see a lot of women are getting their hair cut/colored/treated pretty regularly, nails, facials, botox, fillers and eyebrows microbladed. The costs very but it's never cheap. I was invited to some event where I have to choose and pay for a beauty treatment. Of course I could decline going if i was really against it, but I'll get something just to be social, lol. Oh and a lot of people are getting IPL treatments for sun damage. I know someone who got it done recently to her arms, had all the sun spots removed. They look great...but was it truly necessary to have that done to your arms? lol. I also wonder will the spots come back or do you have to keep going back to have the IPL done? So much I don't know I guess.

I was looking at the menu of things to get and there are vitamin injections you can get to speed up your metabolism...and some vitamin C injection. Apparently taking a vitamin C supplement or putting vitamin C cream or something on your face isn't enough.

Off the subject of real estate kind of but these could be contributing reasons as to why people have trouble saving.
I wonder how much all that spot removal costs?! I mean easy solution....put high spf on and stay under an umbrella when in the sun and they shouldn't come back.

I'd be careful with any 'vitamin injections' unless there's some scientific support that shows efficacy. Easier solution for that too...change your diet, increase your fruit/veggie intake! lol

Old 01-24-2024, 07:32 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I’m not sure I’d say most millenials have $100k in loans. Average student loan debt in MA is about $34k

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/stude...bt-statistics/

My own loans were high (compared to peers) but even inflation adjusted, not 6-figures.
True. I was thinking of debt with grad degrees like law, medical.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:07 PM

Quote:
If you become a doc or surgeon, you should be able to wipe out any student loan debt pretty quickly with the $400-800k+ salaries!

Old 01-24-2024, 08:16 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:

That's not what you said at all. You said "most millenials".

Old 01-24-2024, 08:17 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That's not what you said at all. You said "most millenials".
Roger that

Then when student loans are mentioned, they are unaware that most millennials have 6 figures of debt from college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts