Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2024, 09:00 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
It's not the "fast lane", it's the passing lane. If you're not passing, you need to move to the next lane if there is someone behind you looking to pass. It's not a driver's role to be setting the pace of the speed for other drivers.
Yup, people just don't get it as evidenced by some of the replies here. It's really not that tough. Go drive on a highway in many foreign countries and have your mind blown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 09:02 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So we should all just move out of the way for anyone going 85-90?

If you are not passing vehicles in the right lane(s), absolutely. Is there really confusion over this?

Old 03-04-2024, 09:04 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So we should all just move out of the way for anyone going 85-90?
Um, you shouldn't be traveling in the passing lane period. You're complaining about their speed, but you're breaking laws too. Yes, get out the way. Nobody is driving the speed limit, including you most likely. Why would you think it's your place to enforce traffic laws by blocking people?

Old 03-04-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Exactly. On a multi lane highway the lane next to the passing lane is for traveling at higher speeds as opposed to passing.

This is another real and growing problem around here, that is slow drivers (ie. under the speed limit) insisting on being in the center lanes instead of the right lane, causing those who want to go the speed limit + 5 or 10 to have to pass them on the left (pi$$ing off those who want to do 80 or 90) or pass on the right (dangerous and illegal). You want to drive slow, stay the F to the right...unless traffic is merging, then go ahead and move over one lane to the left...but shift back to the right once you're past the merge point. Never realized this stuff is rocket science, but now I just don't know.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
This is another real and growing problem around here, that is slow drivers (ie. under the speed limit) insisting on being in the center lanes instead of the right lane, causing those who want to go the speed limit + 5 or 10 to have to pass them on the left (pi$$ing off those who want to do 80 or 90) or pass on the right (dangerous and illegal). You want to drive slow, stay the F to the right...unless traffic is merging, then go ahead and move over one lane to the left...but shift back to the right once you're past the merge point. Never realized this stuff is rocket science, but now I just don't know.
They really need to start drilling down on this with the driving schools and tests. Unless you're a cop, it's not your job to enforce the traffic laws and it causes a lot of the traffic flow problems (as well as road rage).

Old 03-04-2024, 09:13 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
There are those who play games though. Reference my post up thread from the other day about Altima driver speeding in left lane....then I go over to left lane for sole purpose to pass person I was behind in the right lane....Altima speeder who was way up ahead...decides to slow waaay down as soon as I get in left lane so I eventually end up closer behind then person starts dancing, waving their hands side to side like they're jamming to some song and keep slowing down even more...then when I get back over to right....Altima goon decides they want to get over to right now too and continue to be obnoxious in front of me. That's when I decide to use my 385 hp and said game over!

Old 03-04-2024, 09:14 AM

Quote:
They really need to start drilling down on this with the driving schools and tests. Unless you're a cop, it's not your job to enforce the traffic laws and it causes a lot of the traffic flow problems (as well as road rage).

There needs to be enforcement. It's proven to change behavior. Jurisdictions that hold people accountable see less of the bad behavior. And people still unwilling to abide by the rules of the road, make them pay back society for the burden they cause. This shouldn't be rocket science either.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
There are those who play games though. Reference my post up thread from the other day about Altima driver speeding in left lane....then I go over to left lane for sole purpose to pass person I was behind in the right lane....Altima speeder who was way up ahead...decides to slow waaay down as soon as I get in left lane so I eventually end up closer behind then person starts dancing, waving their hands side to side like they're jamming to some song and keep slowing down even more...then when I get back over to right....Altima goon decides they want to get over to right now too and continue to be obnoxious in front of me. That's when I decide to use my 385 hp and said game over!

Like I said, they NEED to start cracking down on dangerous drivers.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:30 AM

One problem is that too many drivers spend more time in the business of other driver's than their own. Get out of the way. It's not your job to control the pace of traffic. I swear some people just aren't happy unless they are doing this and when everyone is in their proper place....behind them. It's like they determine how much over the speed limit people are allowed to travel. It's called driving through your rear view mirror. Arrogance.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
One problem is that too many drivers spend more time in the business of other driver's than their own. Get out of the way. It's not your job to control the pace of traffic. I swear some people just aren't happy unless they are doing this and when everyone is in their proper place....behind them. It's like they determine how much over the speed limit people are allowed to travel. It's called driving through your rear view mirror. Arrogance.

I think you are giving people too much credit. I'd say the majority of offenders are so self centered that they are way beyond caring about controlling the behavior of others. More like, it just doesn't occur to them that the rest of the world shouldn't have to wait for them to post that new selfie or text. And if they cause a crash, chances are that's somebody else's problem as well. We are in a very aloof age, in probably the aloofness capital of the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts