Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 12:52 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times

Advertisements

Not into your senses, but into your soul. The perception of the senses diminishes. In time, you don't hear the noises anymore while meditating.

Yes, it can work pretty fast. In any case, it helps improving the mood.

It also helps eating less. I don't think that there are studies about it, regarding the appetite&meditation. But in my case, it's true. I've noticed this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 08:48 AM

Regarding eating less when meditating...Prana or life energy comes from the universe and if you connect with the universe/mother nature/God...you receive more prana in this way. So, you don't need to eat solid food as much as before. Before = when you did not meditate.

I think this explanation is correct.

Ohh, I'm thinking now suddenly about Pranic Healing too, they work with energies. The practitioners that use this type of healing. How interesting.

Old 04-19-2022, 09:58 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
I wonder if that rhythmic Ted Talk routine works on your brain in the same way, or listening to the rain, or a good jog, things like that.

I think you are hitting it here. I used to keep bees and although it took me a bit of time to realize it, being among them and being surrounded by that 'buzz' had such a soothing effect on me. I could be with them for hours (now, soothing is not what you'd think of being amidst thousands of stinging insects, but I found it so calming and meditative.) Sound has the effect of a spoken mantra, like where you are chanting something, and even, prayer. The vibrations set up in the autonomic nervous system bring a calming effect to the entire physical body. It's quite remarkable.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:45 AM

I agree, it is remarkable indeed. I live in Southern California and here is almost always a sunny day, perfect weather, no clouds on the sky etc. Every time when it rains (not often) there is this urge in me to go out on the balcony and listen to the rain. I sit o a chair and listen. Sometimes I knit there. It has a very calming effect on the brain and the entire body, as Riley mentioned.

The same thing with the bees and other insects. I go sometimes outside the city for hikes or just for walks in the canyons. It's wild and very very quiet so one can listen to the insects and their buzz. I love listening to that! I go very early in the morning or late afternoon, around sunset when the light is soft with orange tones. So beautiful.

These sounds are quite like a mantra. So true.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:12 PM

613 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Since I posted that about the rhythmic routine for sleep, I saw another Ted Talk on EMDR - seems like the same idea. (Other people have posted about EMDR but I overlooked it at the time.) The theory is you deal with the unprocessed stuff - traumatic or unpleasant memories, regrets, etc. - by doing something physical involving both sides of your body. It could be tapping alternate shoulders or legs, or moving your eyes back and forth, thus pulling both sides of your brain into the mix, while bringing up (picturing or discussing) the stuff that's bugging you. Some think it works similarly to REM sleep, where your eyes move back and forth as your brain sorts through all the day's events and stores memories.

So EMDR would deliberately target specific memories that are "stuck" and still cause pain (perhaps in the "global" side of your brain) and invoke the other part of your brain (perhaps the "linear" or rational side) to process them, i.e. to store them appropriately in memory, and hopefully help you stop suffering from them. (I might have mixed in the global and linear concepts from another Ted Talk, but I think it was also about EMDR...)

I find the whole thing fascinating. I hope it's true - sure would make life easier!

Old 04-19-2022, 03:46 PM

It is true, you are right.

As a matter of fact...I've done EMDR and it was helpful. I worked with a psychotherapist specifically for trauma.
She specialized in trauma and PTSD and was very experienced in EMDR, was actually teaching it to other practitioners. This was some years ago. I wanted short term therapy so not talking forever about stuff. Some people can get re-traumatized again and again just talking about negative experiences. In 6 sessions I was done. Very helpful indeed. You described it very well actually. It takes your memories from a brain hemisphere and puts them in another one so you can see it all now in a rational way, not emotional.

For regular meditators it works better but I don't remember why is that.

Later edit:

This too is helping, for mental relaxation, a water fountain. I have a friend who has a small one in the living room and meditates near it. See the video bellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlgLbFhiBQs

Last edited by farm108; 04-19-2022 at 05:12 PM..

Old 04-19-2022, 05:29 PM

613 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Dood! So you've done it and it does work! I have a cartoon in my head to represent what happens during EMDR: the messy desk is raided by the cleaners and all the unopened mail is carried over to the other side of the office where the secretaries and accountants work ... problems solved!

Makes sense about meditators being better at it - they probably are more adept working "upstairs."

Old 04-25-2022, 12:53 PM

8 posts, read 6,554 times
Default I got very interested in Ayurveda

Meditation is a remedy. It helps me to feel better, sleep better ,to feel more relaxed at my leisure time and to be more focused once I’m at work. I’ve never thought about the importance of being well balanced , energetic and focused until my free consultation on Alveda.life . Indian Ayurvedic doctor shared some tips of well being with me during our first consultation. I became interested in Ayurveda and day by day I add different practices to my routine.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:07 PM

Something lovely to share here:

Dan Rather, CBS anchor, once asked Mother Teresa what she said during her prayers. She answered, "I listen." So Dan turned the question and asked, "Well then, what does God say?" Mother Teresa smiled with confidence and answered, "He listens." For an instant, Dan didn't know what to say. "And if you don't understand that," Mother Teresa added, "I can't explain it to you."

Old 06-05-2022, 05:57 AM

Meditation brings peace into the mind.

Prayer too, for believers. Others might go in nature to recharge. It's another form of prayer.

Spiritual study every day also helps with keeping the peace. Some people read uplifting quotes and think about them. This too is a form of spiritual study, in a way.

Daily introspection is beneficial for peace. How can I change for the better? How can I be more happy and content? Then, how can I be of service to others?

Peace into the world starts with peace into each mind. Then, the vibrations go around everywhere and uplift this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health