Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 07:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times

Advertisements

Anyone here into daily meditation? Do you find it useful?

I find meditation very helpful in my life. Especially these times, when there is so much commotion, so much information, so much noise everywhere. It helps me mentally, it calms my mind, gets me some peace and quiet in the mind. I find my daily meditations like mental showers.

I was very ill recently, I got the virus. And I had a more severe form. I recovered but still...I need more time to recuperate. I just had it a few weeks ago. It was very difficult to meditate during that time. I had fever every day, was without stamina, could not eat properly.

Anyway, I missed my daily meditations very much! I got a little sad, a little depressed without them. It's the first time when I notice this. Meditation does keep my mind at peace and happy. And content. I've been meditating consistently once or twice a day for the last 8 years. It brings tremendous value to my life.

There are many forms of meditation, some do it with soft music, others in silence, some use guided meditations etc. I do it in silence, I prefer it this way.

I think that meditation practices will increase in the future. People need this.

Last edited by farm108; 02-04-2022 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 10:07 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I do guided meditation, usually when I'm feeling stressed or headache-y. It makes my headache go away and readies me for sleep.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:37 AM

110 posts, read 83,499 times
Scientists have done brain MRIs on Buddhists who meditate up to a couple of hours a day and have seen positive changes (thickening of the prefontal cortex)

Old 02-05-2022, 05:53 PM

Yes, it helps me sleep too. Sometimes, I get up very early in the morning. At 3 or 4 am. If I meditate, after it - I can get back to sleep.

I noticed that if I pay attention to the news, if I watch tv or I'm online too much time...I get a little agitated. In general. It's too much for me, too much information, too much noise, too much junk. Meditation helps me unplug. After my meditation session, I'm calm again, at peace, confident. I don't need more noise in order to relax. It's interesting to notice this.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:27 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I know it's beneficial. Do I practice it? I wish I had been all along. But I know, it's up to me to make the time to do it. I really need to start ASAP.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:57 PM

761 posts, read 445,570 times
I meditate in bed to fall asleep at night. Then If I wake up during the night, which I usually do a couple of times, I meditate until I fall asleep again. I believe it helps me in other ways too, not just to fall asleep. For one thing I enjoy it and I actually look forward to it. I've read a few books on the subject and I'm a big believer in meditation.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:45 PM

613 posts, read 1,016,542 times
I tried to meditate a couple of times and couldn't stop ruminating about stuff. How long did it take you to finally get into it?

But I did find this Ted Talk on falling asleep. I did it two nights in a row and it seemed to work. Normally, I sleep well maybe every other night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5dE25ANU0k

Old 02-12-2022, 03:10 PM

It's normal. Many people are like that. It takes time, you just have to practice. 3 min, then 5 min and so on. You increase the time. Don't pay attention to the thinking, just let the thoughts fly away. There are breathing exercises that you might want to try in the beginning. They are very helpful for calming down the mind.

(I never had the ruminating part, was very easy for me to meditate but from what I know...this is rather unusual).

Old 02-15-2022, 04:45 PM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
I've never had trouble sleeping.
I've practiced meditation on and off for varying periods of time over the years and have always found it useful. It has helped me stay grounded through troubling times. I am currently working on mindfulness meditation but more as a conscious way of being as I go through my life, not as a seated practice.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:37 PM

613 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Well, I read a little more about it and understand that it's about (forgot where I read this) "getting out of your head and into your senses," i.e. the here and now. Living in the here and now means NOT ruminating, worrying, etc. And meditation is a PRACTICE that helps you better control your thoughts, like practicing the violin helps you play better with the orchestra.

I tried it a few times this week and it was a lot easier, knowing that. I didn't try as hard, and my mind wandered less. I think I've been in a better mood and I'm thinking less about things that were pissing me off. Can it really work that fast? Thank you all for your posts!

I wonder if that rhythmic Ted Talk routine works on your brain in the same way, or listening to the rain, or a good jog, things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health