Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 06:46 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Bi-polar is used flippantly as a blanket explanation for unusual emotional behavior. Most people don't even know much about it, The think it is depression one day and wild behavior the next. Not even close.

It's rare for bi-polar to develop as early as 9 years old. If this child did have it, medication should be given and it is obvious from the child's behavior the Mom has not arranged for any. Poor kid. I think the kid was having a panic attack and Mom should have been trying to comfort him/her by taking it out of the way of other people, to the quietest corner possible (even through the warehouse doors), give the child some water, ask if it needs the bathroom , tell it you are all going to home now and let it settle down.
However, bi-polar can involve going from a calm state to extreme rage in moments. I lived through it with my older step-son and it wasn't fun. He could be pretty scary at times; then go back to being a nice human being. It was hard knowing what would trigger his blowups as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 08:12 PM

322 posts, read 282,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
So, you're attempting to blame a business for something one of its customers did while on its premises?

Or maybe you have this odd idea that refusing to shop there will punish the business for something it didn't even do. Were you expecting a store employee to intervene? That's a good way to elevate the unhappy spectacle even further or motivate a customer to file a complaint against the business. Sure, it wasn't pleasant to witness, but no crime was being committed here. Store employees are not paid to play mommy, counselor, or referee.

Exactly what do you personally know about managing a bi-polar kid? What else do you know about the backstory of these total strangers? Until you've walked a mile in someone's else's shoes, you shouldn't be judging them.
yes. I will not shop there. PTSD now. My choice. I am allowed.

There was NO managing.

Of any type. ignore is a management tool?? It was excruciating to live thru. Many many many others even kids
seemed concerned. I chose to return the item, not to witness a none lesson of managing an out of control child left on her own to deal. Never again.

Old 08-05-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
So, you're attempting to blame a business for something one of its customers did while on its premises?

Or maybe you have this odd idea that refusing to shop there will punish the business for something it didn't even do. Were you expecting a store employee to intervene? That's a good way to elevate the unhappy spectacle even further or motivate a customer to file a complaint against the business. Sure, it wasn't pleasant to witness, but no crime was being committed here. Store employees are not paid to play mommy, counselor, or referee.

Exactly what do you personally know about managing a bi-polar kid? What else do you know about the backstory of these total strangers? Until you've walked a mile in someone's else's shoes, you shouldn't be judging them.
Not judged: WITNESSED
Not store responsibilty. Did i say something to that effect?? No.

I wont shop there due to that incident causing me to feel ill. Best for ME to avoid.

You judge me but tell I am judging parent. ???

Old 08-05-2022, 09:11 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's really interesting. I wonder if there's any choking risk with that. At least you figured out a strategy that worked.
No choking risk - no blockage of airways, nor restricted blood flow.
Usual reaction to gravity therapy was a burst of laughter. . . and the risk of peeing upside down.

Old 08-06-2022, 05:38 AM

Not a one size fits all type of event. I wonder if there was something else in management criteria. Possibly begin Plan B - or C.

I am still learning. Here is one site:

#5 Get proper medication

Rage in children who have bipolar is actually closer to a seizure than an emotional event and in fact the National Institute of Mental Health is studying whether bipolar and seizure disorders are directly related.

(Child looked dangerously close to possible seizure. Or fainting. Onlookers - especially YOUNGER children looked quite concerned. That WHAT IF? think. One - like our policemen - isn't truly experienced or knowledgeable of what is happening, how to handle the situation - does someone need to intervene? Etc. So many possibilities here.)

https://www.bphope.com/kids-children...heir-children/

Old 08-06-2022, 05:57 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
Not a one size fits all type of event. I wonder if there was something else in management criteria. Possibly begin Plan B - or C.

I am still learning. Here is one site:

#5 Get proper medication

Rage in children who have bipolar is actually closer to a seizure than an emotional event and in fact the National Institute of Mental Health is studying whether bipolar and seizure disorders are directly related.

(Child looked dangerously close to possible seizure. Or fainting. Onlookers - especially YOUNGER children looked quite concerned. That WHAT IF? think. One - like our policemen - isn't truly experienced or knowledgeable of what is happening, how to handle the situation - does someone need to intervene? Etc. So many possibilities here.)

https://www.bphope.com/kids-children...heir-children/
You do realize that the waits right now to see mental health professionals such as psychologists and psychiatrists is very long. The mom may very well be trying to get help but has not had any luck as of yet finding someone who can treat her child. Others have gotten medications, but they have trouble getting their children to take it. My friend has this issue. Her child has experienced issues since she was very little, but is regularly not willing to take her medication. She is fine when she takes it and even says she feels better when she does, but still goes into these modes where she does not take it.

I agree that it is unlikely this child has bipolar disorder as that doesn’t typically start until some time after puberty hits. Oppositional Defiant Disorder does start earlier though and typically starts with younger children. Either way, the mom needs to seek help. Still, I don’t see why boycotting the store is going to help.

Old 08-06-2022, 06:09 AM

1. Ensure the Area Around Your Child Is Safe
Ensure that the area around your child is safe and that no one can be hurt if and when your child lashes out. Remove yourself and any siblings from the area.

Reduce any stimulation in their vicinity. Turn off the TV, lower the lights. The idea is to let your child wear themselves out. This step applies to adolescents as well as to young children.

As I stated, there was no one near this child having the episode in the event it escalated to the point of SELF harm, THROWING objects and possibly hitting another child standing nearby.

https://www.empoweringparents.com/article/child-rage-explosive-anger-in-kids-and-teens/

Old 08-06-2022, 06:13 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,068,013 times
OP....Get over it. This poor women lives with this child 24/7. Give her a break. Not shopping at this store, for that reason? Don`t let the door hit you, on your way out.

Old 08-06-2022, 06:24 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If a kid is just having a garden-variety temper tantrum, my mother's method was to leave them in the aisle and just quietly push her cart around the corner and out of sight. The one time my own daughter pulled that, I did the same. They shut up and come running right away.
This is what I did with my kids. But the child in this original post is way beyond the normal realm of behavior as everyone here knows.

I saw an incident in the grocery store a while back with a kid like this. The mother was completely ignoring the child. The child looked about 4 years old. The child was kicking and screaming against anything he could put his foot against. It was like listening to Rosemary's Baby.

When I walked over to see what was happening I expected to see a head spinning with green stuff spewing out of the child's mouth and I'm not being dramatic. It was a gutteral, ghoulish, devilish, otherworldly sound. It went on for at least 10 minutes while the mother did nothing to mitigate the situation.

As they were finally leaving the store, the child was repeatedly kicking the shopping cart and yelling all the way out the door. That child should be on medication (if he isn't) and that mother should have a different coping mechanism for public places. She subjected the entire area to that madness. It was very unsettling. IMO the child should have been taken out of the store.

I never took my young children to the supermarket after 6:00 p.m. They're hungry, tired, often cranky, they want to play before going to bed.

I understand that some parents do not have a choice as to whether or not to drag their kids to the supermarket. It's not optimal that in these modern times people have to do what they have to do. But sometimes it seems parents nowadays don't know anything about behavior modification, or they don't care enough to use it.

Children need to know that behavior like that is unacceptable in a public place and even in the home itself. I don't know what the answer is, but it seems to me that in a public place there should at least be some kind of effort to restrain the child. Sadly, I've seen several other incidents that are somewhat like the one I described above in just in the past 2 months since I started working. We can always tell what time it is when we start hearing kids screaming - it always starts around 7:00 p.m.

The majority of small children I see in the store are delightful. I feel badly for the parents of the kids who are horribly acting out, but I still feel they need to be doing something to let the child know the behavior is not acceptable and won't be tolerated.

(To the person who thinks that I should have been spanked in the department store as a child, those instances were nothing like what I just described, and my mother was the instigator. And I took the log out of my own eye by taking care of her for years before she died of a terrible disease.)

Old 08-06-2022, 06:30 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
This is what I did with my kids. But the child in this original post is way beyond the normal realm of behavior as everyone here knows.

I saw an incident in the grocery store a while back with a kid like this. The mother was completely ignoring the child. The child looked about 4 years old. The child was kicking and screaming against anything he could put his foot against. It was like listening to Rosemary's Baby.

When I walked over to see what was happening I expected to see a head spinning with green stuff spewing out of the child's mouth and I'm not being dramatic. It was a gutteral, ghoulish, devilish, otherworldly sound. It went on for at least 10 minutes while the mother did nothing to mitigate the situation.

As they were finally leaving the store, the child was repeatedly kicking the shopping cart and yelling all the way out the door. That child should be on medication (if he isn't) and that mother should have a different coping mechanism for public places. She subjected the entire area to that madness. It was very unsettling. IMO the child should have been taken out of the store.

I never took my young children to the supermarket after 6:00 p.m. They're hungry, tired, often cranky, they want to play before going to bed.

I understand that some parents do not have a choice as to whether or not to drag their kids to the supermarket. It's not optimal that in these modern times people have to do what they have to do. But sometimes it seems parents nowadays don't know anything about behavior modification, or they don't care enough to use it.

Children need to know that behavior like that is unacceptable in a public place and even in the home itself. I don't know what the answer is, but it seems to me that in a public place there should at least be some kind of effort to restrain the child. Sadly, I've seen several other incidents that are somewhat like the one I described above in just in the past 2 months since I started working. We can always tell what time it is when we start hearing kids screaming - it always starts around 7:00 p.m.

The majority of small children I see in the store are delightful. I feel badly for the parents of the kids who are horribly acting out, but I still feel they need to be doing something to let the child know the behavior is not acceptable and won't be tolerated.

(To the person who thinks that I should have been spanked in the department store as a child, those instances were nothing like what I just described, and my mother was the instigator. And I took the log out of my own eye by taking care of her for years before she died of a terrible disease.)
One thing that people don’t seem to realize is that there is a shortage of behavior analysts/assistants who can help with these behavioral issues and it one can be on a waitlist for a while to get in with a provider. Even if you do get a provider, there is no guarantee that the provider is a good fit for your child. At my last job, these kids were our clients. We generally had a prohibition against people working for us and then going straight to providers, but there was such a shortage of behavior analysts at the time that in addition to the tuition through the state, we would facilitate people getting the appropriate training and clinical hours. By and large, these poor parents did not get enough support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health