Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 07:49 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I agree that it is unlikely this child has bipolar disorder as that doesn’t typically start until some time after puberty hits. Oppositional Defiant Disorder does start earlier though and typically starts with younger children. Either way, the mom needs to seek help. Still, I don’t see why boycotting the store is going to help.
This is true. We (store employees) are not allowed to intervene in a situation like this. Intervention is only allowed in criminal or injury situations. There is no way a manager is going to go up to a parent and ask them to remove the child unless there is a dangerous situation.

A parent is the one responsible for managing that situation. The mother in the original post was absolutely wrong to walk way ahead of the child. Something could have happened to her.

Also, stores are very busy and the manager may have been off doing something that had to be addressed even if it were appropriate for the manager to intervene, which it isn't. I've never worked in retail or grocery before and I have a new respect for the absolute pressure that all the employees are under, and not just the physicality of the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 07:54 AM

321 posts, read 280,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
This site can`t be reached. There are many autistic children out there, who can be fine one minute and throw a temper tantrum the next minute. Would you rather they be locked away, so they won`t bother you. Blessings to these people, who also have to worry about people that just don`t understand.
There was never that intention on my part - what I have repeated: keep the child safe.

To be near the child in the event of self harm. or

seizure.

Possibility of lashing out and causing bodily harm to others.

This is an interesting read: sorry if links are wonky - https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...s-all-the-rage

Old 08-06-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
This site can`t be reached. There are many autistic children out there, who can be fine one minute and throw a temper tantrum the next minute. Would you rather they be locked away, so they won`t bother you. Blessings to these people, who also have to worry about people that just don`t understand.
Yes it can. Leave off the HTTP part and just use www.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:13 AM

321 posts, read 280,201 times
Quote:
PTSD....over this one event. You have more issues,then this poor child.

Feels this way. Possible I have issues. Possibly from other events in life that cannot be handled/dealt with.
Possible association with appending doom or danger? who knows. DO YOU??

I am not sure what your issue is with me. I never said to tie child up. Yell at child to stop. ETC.

I was upset with the mother leaving the child defenseless in a very loud, bright stimulating environment knowing the child has an issue with acting out. MOM WASN'T THERE! she was quite near at the register!!! (Two customers in line let her ahead of them. Which was very nice. One just sort of walked a bit away). she still left child alone to walk toward the exit. am I not explaining this properly?
Am I not allowed to be really affected by this? I have never seen this to this degree. First time.

I dont pity the mother. Nor, the child.

The potential for harm to child by self was there,

The potential for harm to others was there.

Child was very red in the face. Possible seizure was a possibility. Mom was not close.

I came away feeling exhausted. For I was UNSURE of the what? why? etc for the child to lash out.

If your comment was mean intended, you too may have issues.

My concern was for the child. from the start. not knowing if child was being harmed, threatened, kidnapped, etc.

Many onlookers looked worried, concerned too. It was a child. By mom blaring out a dx on child, it was up to her to possibly look for signs of incoming. Be prepared to act immediately if things escalated... is what I glean from the many articles I have read recently.

Attack me? I didn't cause the BP. I was NOT near the child just in viewing from aisle - nor was HER MOTHER. (the mother was Many feet AWAY from child exploding. )

who is responsible if child harmed another child in acting out? and: what to do if you have suspicion the child is being harmed? by the parent? WHAT DO YOU DO???

Old 08-06-2022, 08:35 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post

Feels this way. Possible I have issues. Possibly from other events in life that cannot be handled/dealt with.
Possible association with appending doom or danger? who knows. DO YOU??

I am not sure what your issue is with me. I never said to tie child up. Yell at child to stop. ETC.

I was upset with the mother leaving the child defenseless in a very loud, bright stimulating environment knowing the child has an issue with acting out. MOM WASN'T THERE! she was quite near at the register!!! (Two customers in line let her ahead of them. Which was very nice. One just sort of walked a bit away). she still left child alone to walk toward the exit. am I not explaining this properly?
Am I not allowed to be really affected by this? I have never seen this to this degree. First time.

I dont pity the mother. Nor, the child.

The potential for harm to child by self was there,

The potential for harm to others was there.

Child was very red in the face. Possible seizure was a possibility. Mom was not close.

I came away feeling exhausted. For I was UNSURE of the what? why? etc for the child to lash out.

If your comment was mean intended, you too may have issues.

My concern was for the child. from the start. not knowing if child was being harmed, threatened, kidnapped, etc.

Many onlookers looked worried, concerned too. It was a child. By mom blaring out a dx on child, it was up to her to possibly look for signs of incoming. Be prepared to act immediately if things escalated... is what I glean from the many articles I have read recently.

Attack me? I didn't cause the BP. I was NOT near the child just in viewing from aisle - nor was HER MOTHER. (the mother was Many feet AWAY from child exploding. )

who is responsible if child harmed another child in acting out? and: what to do if you have suspicion the child is being harmed? by the parent? WHAT DO YOU DO???
Walk away and mind my own business....thats what I would do....and on my way through the parking lot I would be more concerned with getting mugged, having my purse stolen, or getting shot.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:47 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Walk away and mind my own business....thats what I would do....and on my way through the parking lot I would be more concerned with getting mugged, having my purse stolen, or getting shot.
In the event of imminent danger to a child or others near them I would hope that myself or someone else would step up to try to prevent it. The difficult part would be realizing what constitutes imminent danger.
Unfortunately I have discovered that in moments of extreme duress my reaction is to become paralyzed with fear or panic. I don't think that's an uncommon reaction for a lot of people.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:21 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
In the event of imminent danger to a child or others near them I would hope that myself or someone else would step up to try to prevent it. The difficult part would be realizing what constitutes imminent danger.
Unfortunately I have discovered that in moments of extreme duress my reaction is to become paralyzed with fear or panic. I don't think that's an uncommon reaction for a lot of people.
I agree....imminent danger. I don`t think someone with PTSD, would be a good judge of what is imminent danger. My daughter works with autistic children, and has for years. The behavior the OP is talking about is very common, and needs to be understood.....parents know howto handle these things best......after all they have been living this for years.
There has been some talk of having some autistic children wear some sort of a badge, and having a sticker on their car window, so people like the OP will understand what is happening.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:25 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Interesting. I would have thought I'd be that way, but in the one moment when I was pretty sure I was facing the moment of my death, I did not panic or freeze, but went into automatic logical thinking, action, and taking care of the person who was with me. The panic came later, when I was safe.

All of us who experienced this have widely varying degrees of PTSD. There really is no one-size-fits-all for PTSD OR how one reacts to a stressful or dangerous situation.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I agree....imminent danger. I don`t think someone with PTSD, would be a good judge of what is imminent danger. My daughter works with autistic children, and has for years. The behavior the OP is talking about is very common, and needs to be understood.....parents know how to handle these things best...... after all they have been living this for years.

There has been some talk of having some autistic children wear some sort of a badge, and having a sticker on their car window, so people like the OP will understand what is happening.
I do agree that some parents know best, but not all of them. We don't know the actual or all the facts in this case. It didn't feel right to me, but of course again, we don't have all the facts.

And you don't know that autism is what was happening in the OP's case. It could be Oppositional Defiant Disorder, which is a whole other thing. Or something else.

I have seen a teenager with a t-shirt on that states they are autistic. It probably will become more common.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:15 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,541,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
This post brings to mind a few situations I've seen in the very distant past where a stranger offered to hold a screaming or crying baby (or play with a child that is acting out). The baby would immediately calm down. There is no way that that would ever happen in modern society, at least not very much - maybe 1% of the time. There's so much fear of abduction and or lawsuits, rightfully so.
yes I think you are right. Modern society would never allow a stranger to help with an upset child. Heavens, you cant even correct yourdog in public without someone threatening to call AC. Most people wouldnt allow it with a child! If the mother had physically grab the kid and bodily carried the child out of the store, someone would have called the police. Im still not sure what the OP really wanted the mother to do!
A good friend had a child like that though her TTs ended around the age of 7. That child was incrediblydifficult. But my friend perserved mostly thru ignoring the behavior until the child was tired enough and calmer to be able to be dealt with. The little girl never hurt herself or anyone else except for the shock to the eardrums. She was incredibly difficult!
I give my friend lots of credit, there was no medication, there was no dx, there was time.
That obnoxious little girl grew up to be highly educated, comfortable dealing with governors and drug addicts, well liked and paid very well.
Sometimes as a parent the best thing you can do is walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health