Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 04:36 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times

Advertisements

This country has changed, and not for the better.....many places just not safe.....walking into the womens room, you just dont know who you will find. OP it`s not you....DH and I don`t like to go out much either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 06:08 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
I don't think so, but nor is it abnormal.

Working part time and going to a senior center regularly does not strike me as reclusive. My sisters seem far more solitary than you are at ages 67 and 62.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:23 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,196 times
"I’m curious if anyone else feels this way and if so how they deal with it."

sort of.
mostly, we let the internet bring the world to us,
although we did take a bucket-list trip this year.

since we cut-the-cord years ago, our books
provide our major entertainment, and we meet
our friends/family in our/their homes.

with declining service just about everywhere,
and the recent double-digit inflation, we decided
our path would be the one less traveled.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:13 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
No I don’t stay home any more than I always have. I went to Europe this year and last year. I walk my dogs daily and talk to people that stop to pet them. I still go out with family and friends.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:14 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For my wife and I, it's not being around other people, it's no longer having the patience to deal with waiting for a table, in a line at an event. No more concerts, or even movies for that reason. If we go to a restaurant and there is a line at the door we move on to another. This is why so many of us older folks go out to dinner at 4:30-5:00.

My time is the most precious asset I have, and I don't want to waste it standing around waiting.

I try to avoid going out to dinner on a weekend because of the waits. I don't understand retirees who only like to dine out on Saturday night, the most crowded night of the week.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:20 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
My time is the most precious asset I have, and I don't want to waste it standing around waiting.

I try to avoid going out to dinner on a weekend because of the waits. I don't understand retirees who only like to dine out on Saturday night, the most crowded night of the week.
I don`t understand either....when you are retired....everyday is a Saturday.

Old 06-14-2023, 06:03 AM

840 posts, read 759,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I don't think so, but nor is it abnormal.

Working part time and going to a senior center regularly does not strike me as reclusive. My sisters seem far more solitary than you are at ages 67 and 62.
Yes I suppose that's true...I think maybe I seek more controlled known environments where I can feel comfortable. I do think though if I had an apt that I truly liked and felt comfortable in I would become very reclusive as I grow even older.

Old 06-14-2023, 06:14 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
I am 46 and feel that I am a very social person when I have the opportunity, however, as I get older, I think after a certain age, I would prefer to just be alone in a cabin in the woods and do whatever it is I want to do without being bothered by anyone.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:02 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
One gets tired of hearing other people's problems,we are getting old,physically and mentally.
what is that saying-easy task becomes difficult task,difficult task become impossible task.
Our brain produces less dopamine which controls physical movement,memory,emotion and higher learning,if it gets worse,then we could end up with Parkinson and/or Alzheimer disease.

Old 06-14-2023, 08:00 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
I think being more reclusive as you age is normal. Your friends have died or moved. Those remaining are people you didn't really associate with anyway.

I know I have, although I might be sort of a special case. I was a local elected official for over 20 years and active publicly for over 30 so a lot of people knew me.

It got so intrusive that I couldn't take a walk without someone wanting to talk. Mrs. NBP and I even stopped eating at restaurants in Town on the rare occasions we'd go out, because there was always at least one someone who felt that interrupting our dinner, after they'd finished theirs was a good time to ask me why so and so was allowed to do this, or why another so and so wasn't allowed to that or t complain that the garbage guys hadn't forgotten to take a beer can out of their recycling when they dumped the bin.

So we started to go 15 or 20 miles away and, wouldn't you know it, there was always someone there who had to come up and talk during our meal.

So, since I've retired from public life, I've become very withdrawn. Yet people still email my oldest son, who is now involved, thinking he is me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health