Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 01:21 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times

Advertisements

It takes energy to talk !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 03:39 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Undoubtedly but I don’t think that quite explains what’s going on with me. But maybe the changes with aging make me feel less comfortable in the world and more vulnerable. But I suppose I have often felt alienated but when I was younger it didn’t feel as bad because I had family and more people around.
I'm becoming the same way. I just want to stay at home most of the time and I get annoyed when I have to go to the grocery store. Watching the news at night doesn't help because they make it sound like there is danger everywhere you go. Then with all the mass shootings we see and hear about, nowhere appears to be safe anymore.

Old 06-14-2023, 04:00 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Undoubtedly but I don’t think that quite explains what’s going on with me. But maybe the changes with aging make me feel less comfortable in the world and more vulnerable. But I suppose I have often felt alienated but when I was younger it didn’t feel as bad because I had family and more people around.
I'm going to be 66 in a couple of weeks. I feel a lot like you...often times, I just want to putz around the house. I don't want to go out (but sometimes I do.)

My theory is...our senses are slowly diminishing. Sometimes, we don't realize how that is impacting us. Our taste buds change, and suddenly, we blame our favorite restaurant for going downhill. Our hearing changes, and we wonder why everyone is always mumbling, or, vis a vis, why do the restaurants cater to parents with screaming children? Our peripheral vision changes, and we wonder why everyone drives like maniacs on the highways these days, and we don't like driving at night.

All these things can make it just plain not as fun to go out, as it used to be.

Old 06-14-2023, 04:38 PM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
The world has changed. It appears to be more hostile and dangerous.

I doubt if not wanting to expose yourself to danger is limited to seniors, but then you might simply not feel strong enough to fight people off or run if you have to.

Old 06-14-2023, 05:16 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,513,381 times
Husband and I are early seventies and we are probably more sociable now than when we retired. He plays golf several times a week, I belong to a discussion group, a bookclub, meet friends for lunch and coffee, we both belong to a walking group which takes us all over the metropolitan area. Last night we braved going into the city for our annual Vivid lightshow and saw crowds we have not seen these past three years. Even had to push out of the train as it was so crowded.

But we do have friends who are “winding down” and seem to avoid a lot of things. Often we have to push ourselves to get out and do things but when we make the effort it really seems worth it. There are so many great places and experiences to still enjoy and we are intending to keep doing so.

Old 06-14-2023, 05:26 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,513,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I'm going to be 66 in a couple of weeks. I feel a lot like you...often times, I just want to putz around the house. I don't want to go out (but sometimes I do.)

My theory is...our senses are slowly diminishing. Sometimes, we don't realize how that is impacting us. Our taste buds change, and suddenly, we blame our favorite restaurant for going downhill. Our hearing changes, and we wonder why everyone is always mumbling, or, vis a vis, why do the restaurants cater to parents with screaming children? Our peripheral vision changes, and we wonder why everyone drives like maniacs on the highways these days, and we don't like driving at night.

All these things can make it just plain not as fun to go out, as it used to be.
Just to consider some of these things, yes I agree that our senses diminishing can be a problem, as can other health issues.

I do not like very spicy food any more so I avoid restaurants where there is not a choice which is better for me. More Italian, less Indian. I got hearing aids five years ago and so have most of my friends who were also teachers, teaching being an occupation which is hard on hearing. Nobody ever notices my hearing aids, and if they did, so what.

Yes, night driving is not my favourite activity, again I had cataract procedures done five years ago and discovered this year that scar tissue had formed behind one eye. The problem with lights while driving is improved now it has been lasered. I plan my routes a bit to avoid very narrow roads where the lights are more of a problem. If we go to the city at night we take the train, more as it is quicker and easier than driving.

So for us it is an issue of adapting so that we can still enjoy what we enjoy. We tend to like doing tours overseas these days rather than independent travel. Just easier.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:00 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,969,739 times
I would think that the older a person gets the more sick they get of other people, yes. The more decades you spend putting up with strangers and their BS, the more tired of you probably get, not to mention society these days, seeing a lot of the true colors of other people during and after pandemic might make you not want to be around them...

Old 06-15-2023, 05:17 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm becoming the same way. I just want to stay at home most of the time and I get annoyed when I have to go to the grocery store. Watching the news at night doesn't help because they make it sound like there is danger everywhere you go. Then with all the mass shootings we see and hear about, nowhere appears to be safe anymore.
This is why I dont watch the news. Havent watched it in years because its paints a much different picture than reality. My great Aunt is in her 90s and hasnt left the house since Covid started because of the news and it makes me so angry but it has that effect on many people which creates much unnecessary hysteria. That said, I avoid the news and just go about my business and whatever happens, happens.

Old 06-15-2023, 06:16 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I feel the same way. Although I’m not isolating myself, I do notice less willingness to do social things.
Some factors are: hearing loss, I have trouble hearing conversation in a room with a lot of other noise, like a restaurant, so I tend to do less ladies lunches.
I have a “been there, done that” attitude about many things, and I don’t have any desire to repeat them.

I’m more fearful as I get older. I would not travel to many of the places I went to when I was younger, nor do i want the hassle of airport travel. I worry about creepy things in the ocean, and germs in swimming pools. A hot tub, oh heck no. I am more afraid of heights, and more afraid of having an auto accident.

All these things make me more reclusive than I was.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:20 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
I think it is normal particularly if you've always leaned that way. I remember being a teen and loving shopping. I enjoyed going to new places as I got older just to try them out. I still do a bit of 'adventure', but mainly I want in and out without the drama. I feel like I've already had a lot of certain experiences. Since fashions come and go, I've already seen a bit of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health