Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 08:01 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times

Advertisements

Everyone always wants someone to grow old with and as I get older, I imagine myself being happier all alone, is that weird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 08:08 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
I’m fairly set in my ways and try to avoid annoying situations that test my patience such as long lines, overcrowded places, loud annything and oblivious people who enjoy having phone conversations through a speaker.

My tolerance, however, increases when I frequent new places, particularly when I travel (in large part because I am a visitor on someone else's turf).

Last edited by elchevere; 06-16-2023 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-16-2023, 08:10 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Everyone always wants someone to grow old with and as I get older, I imagine myself being happier all alone, is that weird?
No, you’re not alone. I have no problem meeting people and making new friends. The bigger problem is meeting people whom I wish I had not met.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:22 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I go from not being able to imagine my life without my husband in it, to knowing that I can be content by myself. I’ve been married to somebody for 56 years…2 husbands and only a year in between. If I’m ever a widow, I’m boarding up the windows and barring the doors. It’s going to be all about ME.

Old 06-17-2023, 05:44 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
I think it's normal. I know I have experienced it and I've seen similar behavior in my friends.

For one thing I've never been in the habit of leaving the house unkempt but sometimes it seems to take forever to pull myself together before I leave. Did I remember this? That? You know?

I definitely like the world the way it was forty years ago better than the version we have now. And that's my challenge. I know that isolating isn't good for my mental health so I make a deliberate habit to get out and interact several times a week.

The other thing is I don't want to fall behind. Everything moves so fast today it's hard for me to keep up. I think once
I stop learning the new ways to communicate and the gadgets being used I'll be out of the loop and then decline may set in.

We folks on forums tend toward the introvert side and I'll admit nothing sounds more idyllic than spending the rest of my life curled up with a good book!

Old 06-18-2023, 02:19 PM

10,297 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For my wife and I, it's not being around other people, it's no longer having the patience to deal with waiting for a table, in a line at an event. No more concerts, or even movies for that reason. If we go to a restaurant and there is a line at the door we move on to another. This is why so many of us older folks go out to dinner at 4:30-5:00.
Heck, old people are lucky to make "Final Jeopardy" before losing conscientiousness! LOL!

Back to the subject though, yes as we age, our world become smaller and smaller. Until, eventually, we don't leave our beds.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:26 PM

11 posts, read 4,730 times
I agree with the OP. I am only 51, but I have felt that since my mid-40s. Used to be a go-go, big city, lotsa friends kind of guy. Recently I have become more attached to solitude. I'm still an extrovert by every measure, but my preference would be to move into a fancy cabin in the woods (with a pied a terre in the closest city for monthly social bingeing).

Old 07-28-2023, 06:36 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times
I'm supposed to go to a gallery reception today but it will be super crowded, lots of artists and friends of artists that I don't know. Husband supportive of going but leery of that many people like me (and he's the social one of us). Parking will be impossible, Uber was suggested lol. We are not Uber people and coming from 40 minutes away.

Our solution is to arrive very early/leave early. People will be there early, just not a crush.

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 07-28-2023 at 07:39 AM..

Old 08-05-2023, 07:53 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
It all depends on personality no matter your age. I can see that as we get older, we may grow more tired of dealing w/ people & may want to be more isolated.

I've always kind of tried to avoid crowds when I can, even back in my 20s, I believe. Things are just a lot more pleasant the less people there are IMO. I don't have any kind of social anxiety whatsoever, I just like it when places are scarce, such as amusement parks, fairs, movies, museums, even the grocery stores, etc.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:34 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I feel more and more isolated as I get older. I also care less and less that it is happening. My husband and I went places, did things, and were very social. Now we are homebodies.

After retirement, he worked part time and I volunteered. No more. Now, if we have to go out for a doctors appointment, it feels inconvenient.

I could participate in many activities if I wanted, but it seems like I can’t plan anything ahead of time, for fear that an ailment will prevent me from going. I can’t hear very well in certain situations that have background noise so I avoid the ladies lunches, even though I’ve met some cool women.

I wouldn’t say that I’m more fearful, but I have more of a “been there, done that” attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health