Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 10:47 AM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Based on the posting history, I wouldn't presume this is a real post. But if it is, it doesn't belong here.
I agree, and consistent with no paragraphs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 04:03 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

With only 12 post to your credit, you are new to this web site, so information I, as well as others, offer you may seem not what you want to hear.
Only 12 posts under this member name. I think he's come and gone before.

Old 01-23-2024, 04:16 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Yes, I'd talk to a lawyer if you don't have a social network who will respect your final wishes.
OK, let's assume for the moment this OP isn't a sad, recurring troll.

One problem with stating your wishes in regards to your physical remains in your last will and testament is timing.

Unless you make a point of discussing it with the people most likely to be present when you actually die, by the time family gets around to reading your will, someone's probably already done something with your body...including preparing it for burial or cremation. Too late.

You want something very specific. Whether it's actually achievable or not is debatable. A rather big problem has to do with hospitalization...if you do suffer some medical emergency or become terminally ill chances are you'll end up in a hospital wearing a hospital-issued gown. That's what you be wearing if you do end up dying there. You won't have a say about that. Consider that reality.

In any case, I'd make a point to make your wishes known in multiple ways. In addition to a will, another way to do so is to prepare a "living" will or advance/physician's directive. People use documents like that to designate a medical proxy (someone you know and trust who will act on your behalf if you can't communicate for yourself), but you can include your wishes about your remains too (whether you want organs donated, used for research or education, be buried or cremated and by whom, etc.). Copies of your directive should be kept on file with your doctors and also at the hospital you'd most likely be taken to in an emergency.

One of the most important aspects of an advanced directive is that the document is intended to be discussed and shared with someone else in advance. A will doesn't need to be discussed with anyone in advance though obviously it makes sense to do so if you designated an executor. Advanced directives must be acceptable by your state of residence in order to be honored. State requirements vary, so look into that.

Here is a widely accepted example of an advanced directive. There's a booklet that helps produce the actual document. Note that some of the questions to be answered include how you want your remains to be handled. Even if you don't end up using their forms, the process can be very helpful in articulating what you think you want.

https://www.fivewishes.org/

Another thing you might consider is wearing some sort of message bracelet directing anyone who finds you who to contact...someone who knows and respects your wishes.

I think the take home message here is how important it will be to discuss your final wishes with someone and make contacting that someone very easy for anyone to do when the time comes. If you keep everything secret, how will anyone else know what you want?

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-23-2024 at 04:31 PM..

Old 01-23-2024, 09:30 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Some people who do not want to be resuscitated have DNR tattooed on their chests, because documents are not always consulted in an emergency.

Maybe you could have tee shirts made with your wishes printed on front and back, so your directive is always with you.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:23 AM

29 posts, read 17,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We come in all shapes and sizes OP and if you are deceased does it really matter what happens?

If you are as bad off as you claim how do you go about your day? Do people stare or make comments about your skin? I suspect that most of this is in your head and you should stop worrying about it.

I have a relative that has had really bad psoriasis for the lat 40 years and he doesn't let it get in his way. His skin looks terrible when he goes to the beach but the saltwater is good for his skin so in he goes. He gave up caring what others think long ago.

I think your question would be better answered in a different forum.
I don't care if we come in different sizes. This has nothing to do with my body weight. My weight is normal. I'm not fat. No, it's not in my head. I have been getting bumps every day around my arms and back and then they turn into dark spots eventually. Every freaking day I get new bumps. Sometimes it happens in one area of the body and then somehow it goes to another body part. Just a month ago it was getting all over my chest and and itchy and scratching. I don't know why. It's disgusting.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:27 AM

29 posts, read 17,599 times
I want to know if there is a way to put this request on the system instead of relying on a will that they might or might not find. I don't want to hire a lawyer. I want it to be in the system for any paramedic idiot or any other idiot in the medical field or any other idiot part of the process of my dead body so they know the rules and don't remove not even 1 clothing at all. That's what I want. I want this in the system. A written paper doesn't work if the idiot who finds your body can't find it.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:20 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testingthis View Post
I want to know if there is a way to put this request on the system instead of relying on a will that they might or might not find.
NO. There is no way to do this.

You can write and file all the paperwork you want everywhere stating your wishes, but when the time comes, the regulatory and statutory and procedural requirements will override your wishes. I don't know how much clearer this can be said, but it's out of your hands. Even in California with its deceased rights laws, it applies only to request that does not alter the administration of services. So you can demand the hospital staff or funeral home leave you cloth on, but if the standard for administrating necessary service results in your cloths being removed, you have no say in it.

Old 01-24-2024, 01:05 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testingthis View Post
I want to know if there is a way to put this request on the system instead of relying on a will that they might or might not find. I don't want to hire a lawyer. I want it to be in the system for any paramedic idiot or any other idiot in the medical field or any other idiot part of the process of my dead body so they know the rules and don't remove not even 1 clothing at all. That's what I want. I want this in the system. A written paper doesn't work if the idiot who finds your body can't find it.
This magic "system" you're referring to doesn't exist.

BTW, you don't need to hire a lawyer just to write a will (though many folks would advise it depending on how complex your situation is). You don't need a lawyer to prepare an advanced directive either. Your best bet for making people respect your wishes is to broadcast them to as many people in your life as possible. Including your doctors and any hospital you use.

Even that will only go so far. Rabritta is right. If the circumstances surrounding your death call for an autopsy your wishes regarding your body will be overridden. It will probably be much more beneficial to alter your expectations about your body. There are professionals who can help you do it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-24-2024 at 02:33 PM..

Old 01-25-2024, 09:48 PM

974 posts, read 517,163 times
When we die we have no control over what others may do. Even if you had something legal in place, there is no way to enforce anything unless you had a lawyer on hand at the time of your death, which is unlikely. If it happens in a hospital or hospice, they have laws which would probably supersede any last wishes of someone who dies at their facility, and they would be required to follow those laws.

My advice would be to talk to a therapist/counselor about this, if you have not already.

I used to work in medical, and trust me, they have seen much, much worse than what you describe. I could tell some tales!, but of course I won't because it's a breach of ethics. And to just make this real, you won't care about any of this when you die anyway because you won't be there to care. But again, talk to someone about this. It may take a few tries to find the right fit w/ someone, that's part of the process. What you describe is perfectly normal to feel, and the more you communicate w/ someone about this, the better you will feel.

Old 01-26-2024, 10:29 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
OP.... Think about leaving your body to medical science, they can study your brain, as well as your skin. You would be doing a great service to mankind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health