Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:41 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,730,891 times

Advertisements

I was put on Prozac for G.A.D. and after a week when I started taking an additional pill as prescribed, I noticed after 3-4 days I was more depressed, not suicidial, but I didnt care what happened to me as much. It was like I was emotionless. I stopped and felt better, but was still feeling the anxiety...then he put me on something less strong and Ive been doing good. I cant remember the name, but I took it for 3 weeks or so and never had a problem. Im not as stressed as before though. I hate taking meds, but the anxiety felt like it was taking over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 04:20 AM

24 posts, read 141,165 times
prozac didnt work at all for me, neither did zoloft.. now dont get me wrong, just because it didnt work for me, doesnot make it a bad pill, it has helped many others. there are so many pills because there are so many different brains... everybody is a bit different... im on several now, but they work... one day id like to be off of them, but for now, i need them...( i know this because i have been off of them and my head gets stupid. what i mean by stupid is when death makes sense, you still need the meds) im not one to sit on the highest point with a deer rifle, but there were times long ago that i probably would have...thank God for meds and thank God for giving me the stregnth to keep looking when none worked...

Old 05-02-2007, 08:56 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,612,503 times
Thumbs up yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Counseling will not help a chemical imbalance Sunny- with my new health cares high deductible- I cannot afford it now. However last fall I did see a clinical psychologist when the co pay was $20 per session- and he did clear many things up.

Meds and therapy are helpful- but now the meds alone help me. I have a friend who is in 12 step- AA- and in therapy- his MD wanted to put him on effexor- he refused- but it was ok in his mind to self medicate with the booze.

As for the American health care system- well you know my feelings about that subject!
I know- so many different approaches. I just need that goal oriented feeling- like when you shop or have to cook dinner- you dont start thinking how you hate your job- life makes no sense, etc....lol- You know I have done the counseling thing I had an EXCELLENT and brilliant friend and neighbor when I lived in Florida. He knew alot (was an MD and also psychiatrist/psychoanalytic therapist) he basically agreed with the meds- and that after a certain point (as long as youre not ready to jump off the roof-literally) the meds can help you feel balance.

IMO I have had it with counselor-quacks. They are alot of times in it for the money.

sunny

Old 05-02-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgee View Post
I was put on Prozac for G.A.D. and after a week when I started taking an additional pill as prescribed, I noticed after 3-4 days I was more depressed, not suicidial, but I didnt care what happened to me as much. It was like I was emotionless. I stopped and felt better, but was still feeling the anxiety...then he put me on something less strong and Ive been doing good. I cant remember the name, but I took it for 3 weeks or so and never had a problem. Im not as stressed as before though. I hate taking meds, but the anxiety felt like it was taking over.
being emotionless though- is good for some people. I need to be like that in the workplace .

When I wake up I feel horrible, like I have been hit over the head with a 2 x 4- a hammer- saying "This is your life" its hard to pick up and function....

s.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:52 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,034,049 times
Sunny; In Connecticut we have a great campaign going on for health care reform. In both the media and Government.

Most smart people- and those not with the hands of the health Care Industrial complex in their back pockets agrees something must be done- and soon.

The Republican Governor wanted to have A program called the 'Charter Oak Health' through private companies. There would be a maximum of $250 per month premium- based on the highest income of a family or person, people making less money would pay based on a sliding scale. The deductible would have been around $1000- Prescriptions would be $10 and $25 co pays per month.

The Democrats said many people would not be able to pay these costs- so they put this idea in a 'planing' mode'. Basically they would prefer single payer universal coverage with both the private and governmental sectors working together to fund the program.

In any case the Federal Government is going to have to take the lead in any kind of real reform.

Some excellent Sate of Connecticut sites for reform.
The state is in the forefront along with California for universal coverage.

http://www.healthcare4every1.org/index.php
http://cthealth.server101.com/
http://www.universalhealthct.org/news-announcements.php?articleID=62 (broken link)

Old 05-03-2007, 09:56 AM

The state is in the forefront along with California for universal coverage

-------------------------
That is helpful information. Thank you. What coverage does Cali have?

Old 05-03-2007, 01:42 PM

The 'Guvernator' is European- and Arnold is looking for Universal coverage. I give the man much credit- he is far ahead of most politicians in this country from either political party.

Many of us are born with far less then perfect or ideal genetics- too bad our ultra right wing Prez and the mindset of this country for 30 plus years is unable to see that- but feel rest assured- things will change.

As for mental health problems- they are the 'closet' illness of American society
how sad- a nation that had slavery till 1863, had no social economic safety net for the elderly and disabled till 1935- and still does not have a national health care program has no business trying to spread its brand of 'democracy' anywhere.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:18 PM

...- too bad our ultra right wing Prez and the mindset of this country for 30 plus years is unable to see that- but feel rest assured- things will change.
Yes- I dont get the "mindset"" of this- so people who have a disorder are to be what....eliminated???....I spoke to someone once whose wife just had a baby- he voted for Bush and was house rich/cash poor- I advised him about how medical companies could put a lien on his house if his baby needed emergency care- I think people have no clue about how much we need universal health care- we need it NOW!!!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:43 AM

Most Americans SH

have no idea what health care costs can do to them. You can be young and have some pre existing condition and be denied coverage- loose your job, and your coverage, and become ill before hopefully you can gain health care again from your employer- but today that is not a guarantee.

If you are older like me- beyond 50
and loose your job- because today job security, health care and a pension are no longer something many Americans have. During my fathers generation a job with one company for 20-30 years was almost a certainty- not today.

In GW Bush's 'ownership society' every body is on his or her own- good luck!
As more Americans realize the precarious economic conditions they are in- they will want reform.

What the conservatives have done for the last 30 years is create a very Social Darwinist type of society, with those gifted enough, lucky enough and strong enough to compete in An almost corporate fascist environment that is very competitive with decreasing benefits.

In the USA- we parley out health care to those lucky enough to have the best jobs; Most likely in Federal, Sate or local Government; or have exemplary training/ education- etc. or are a CEO from a large company!

I know myself that being responsible for my own health care costs, retirement and everything else for my present and future well being is not easy. It takes planning, saving (if possible) how to invest, staying out of debt - something alot of stuff many Americans are unable to do. The current savings rate among Americans is at the lowest point in history, but the amount of debt is at its highest!

When the huge demographic changes hit this society- one can see some serious problems for many. They will have to save more, buy less, lower their living standards or end up in the streets. Over half the US population does not have $25,000 saved for retirement!

However during this time about 15-20% of the population has done exceedingly well- and 5% of that total have grown fabulously rich.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:37 PM

Lightbulb yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Most Americans SH

have no idea what health care costs can do to them. You can be young and have some pre existing condition and be denied coverage- loose your job, and your coverage, and become ill before hopefully you can gain health care again from your employer- but today that is not a guarantee.

If you are older like me- beyond 50
and loose your job- because today job security, health care and a pension are no longer something many Americans have. During my fathers generation a job with one company for 20-30 years was almost a certainty- not today.

In GW Bush's 'ownership society' every body is on his or her own- good luck!
As more Americans realize the precarious economic conditions they are in- they will want reform.

What the conservatives have done for the last 30 years is create a very Social Darwinist type of society, with those gifted enough, lucky enough and strong enough to compete in An almost corporate fascist environment that is very competitive with decreasing benefits.

In the USA- we parley out health care to those lucky enough to have the best jobs; Most likely in Federal, Sate or local Government; or have exemplary training/ education- etc. or are a CEO from a large company!

I know myself that being responsible for my own health care costs, retirement and everything else for my present and future well being is not easy. It takes planning, saving (if possible) how to invest, staying out of debt - something alot of stuff many Americans are unable to do. The current savings rate among Americans is at the lowest point in history, but the amount of debt is at its highest!

When the huge demographic changes hit this society- one can see some serious problems for many. They will have to save more, buy less, lower their living standards or end up in the streets. Over half the US population does not have $25,000 saved for retirement!

However during this time about 15-20% of the population has done exceedingly well- and 5% of that total have grown fabulously rich.

I took care of my Dad. He was fortunate and had a pension- the home nursing can be tens of thousands $- (unfortunately- I learned this at a young age) Maybe we could keep this thread going- just like the others have an exercise thread-lol- how is is your mood today?

Anyway I have a friend in Germany (she is a teacher and lawyer) she said our system here is a 'scandal'. I am inclined to agree- but hopefuly changes will come!

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health