Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 04:47 PM

24 posts, read 141,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
being emotionless though- is good for some people. I need to be like that in the workplace .

When I wake up I feel horrible, like I have been hit over the head with a 2 x 4- a hammer- saying "This is your life" its hard to pick up and function....

s.
to me, being emotionless meant no emotion... none.... no hit on the, nothing...you dont think, you dont even cry anymore... your just there... that is far more scary to me than most anything else...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 11:22 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
Lightbulb see-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyprime View Post
to me, being emotionless meant no emotion... none.... no hit on the, nothing...you dont think, you dont even cry anymore... your just there... that is far more scary to me than most anything else...
for me its opposite- I am fine later in the day- when I first wake up I feel horrible and have too much emotion- I get edgy and cant handle it- I had an excellent therapist once who said no 2 people are ever wired the same way-its so true....

sunny

Old 05-07-2007, 03:36 PM

279 posts, read 471,811 times
prozac has been a life saver for me...i wish i took it 10 years earlier but i said "drugs are a crutch, i need to find the cause"...boy was i wrong.
Strangely, prozac does not work for everyone.
Also, i found the generic prozac does not work as well as the brand name...it is not psychological...i have done some extensive online research and many people confrim this...some doctors will not prescribe generic prozac.
If people say "generic prozac is the same as brand name prozac" then say "ok, will you sell me the brand name for the generic price?"

Old 05-07-2007, 10:51 PM

Interesting. well, sometimes Effexor has helped. i have to wait a whole month and pay cash bcs my insurance s*cks

Old 05-07-2007, 11:04 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Counseling can help BUT its never covered by insurance. The cost is prohibitive. Sometimes 200.00 for an hour- I needed a marriage counselor but refuse to pay 600-800 a month. Its just too high.

One of the secrets I can tell you is if you want marital counseling and your coverage doesn't extend to JUST marital counseling but will cover general counseling...you need to tell your insurance company that your suffering from for example anxiety or depression stemming from marital problems. The therapists I used to work with understood this and worked with the patients. Unfortunately marital counseling is billed in such a way that the machine that pays the claims will kick it out if its not covered but pay a claim where the diagnoses code is for anxiety or depression.

I think both counseling AND medication is important however finding the right medication can be daunting considering your already upset and looking for someone to throw you a life line. I have taken a couple different types over the years, when something hard to deal with came up, like a death in the family or major medical problems...I have had different reactions at different times to the same medications...

The practice that worries me is when doctors perscribe psych meds for children that are not approved and have not been tested for use in children. A childs body chemistry and brain are very different to adults.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have frankly too much on my plate to call the insurance to dicker and bargain with them over money.

Right now it is the least important thing, and I dont have the patience for it- so will just cough up the cash.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:34 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,019,328 times
Many people even in the early 21st century are still 'afraid' of the stigmata of taking mood enhancing drugs for diagnosed mental health problems.

They can be either depressed, have anxiety disorders such as social anxiety, panic attacks, obsessive compulsive behavior, generalized Anxiety or have all of the above. All these and More serious mental health issues like bi polar disorder abound in our Society.

However many Americans still refuse to take medication. It is wrongly perceived by many as 'being weak' 'I am really ok' or 'I will not take meds'.

I have had contact with many of these people socially- and frankly am amazed by their ability of loving to be miserable. Sort of like denial that they may have human frailty or flaws.

Believe me- if I had not starting taking Buspirone 7 years ago- I wonder where I would be today- considering for years my life was melting down.

I had a guest for dinner one night last Autumn- who decided the whole evening to insult me- he alluded to the fact that he HAD been on the same Medication I was on- but it made him 'feel funny' and he suffered 'erectile dysfunction' (this medication does not cause that side affect) So he stopped taking the medication against his Doctor's orders....

This person needed to go back on Meds QUICK-plus go into therapy

Most of these Meds take about 4 weeks to begin working- and during that time there may be some side affects that eventually fade.

Last edited by skytrekker; 05-09-2007 at 04:47 PM..

Old 05-09-2007, 05:02 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,374 times
Medication is not to mask everyday feeling caused by everyday things that happen in life. Medications IS for the person who just can't find happiness in happy things. When you wake up in the morning and just dread facing another day....
I would have never approved of putting a child on medication, but when my 11 yr old daughter had severe problems with anxiety and depression, I was willing to try anything and everything to help her. She was but on Celexa and within 2 weeks I saw a DRAMATIC improvement. I thank God for that pill, I think it saved her little life. It is horrible to suffer these things as an adult, but to watch your child suffer and feel so helpless is heart wrenching.
I always have compassion for the trully depressed and people suffering from anxiety. So few people have any patience or understanding for those who suffer.
I give credit to all of you who battle each day. God Bless You with peace and happiness.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Many people even in the early 21st century are still 'afraid' of the stigmata of taking mood enhancing drugs for diagnosed mental health problems.

They can be either depressed, have anxiety disorders such as social anxiety, panic attacks, obsessive compulsive behavior, generalized Anxiety or have all of the above. All these and More serious mental health issues like bi polar disorder abound in our Society.

However many Americans still refuse to take medication. It is wrongly perceived by many as 'being weak' 'I am really ok' or 'I will not take meds'.

I have had contact with many of these people socially- and frankly am amazed by their ability of loving to be miserable. Sort of like denial that they may have human frailty or flaws.

Believe me- if I had not starting taking Buspirone 7 years ago- I wonder where I would be today- considering for years my life was melting down.

I had a guest for dinner one night last Autumn- who decided the whole evening to insult me- he alluded to the fact that he HAD been on the same Medication I was on- but it made him 'feel funny' and he suffered 'erectile dysfunction' (this medication does not cause that side affect) So he stopped taking the medication against his Doctor's orders....

This person needed to go back on Meds QUICK-plus go into therapy

Most of these Meds take about 4 weeks to begin working- and during that time there may be some side affects that eventually fade.
Thanks Skytreker- I know of some (usually men-like my h's brother) who drink to excess every night and refuse therapy (I am fine-I am tough) attitude.
He works and functions but looks 65 instead of 50 bcs of his health habits/addiction.

It is very sad. It would be nice if someday society could learn more compassion- but I guess that is too high a goal- In the meantime I am glad for several posters here- In the old days people used to say pull yourself up by your bootstraps- take a walk around the block- youll feel better

Right now I am probably alive because of meds I was on when my Dad was sick (couldnt have handled it otherwise) Anyway hope people keep posting- it gives me some hope.

sunny

Old 05-10-2007, 04:46 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,019,328 times
Sunny

believe me I have met many people- and I mean many-mostly men who refuse to take medication because of mental health issues.

The same old 'tough guy explanation' ' I will not take medication' or 'Oh, yeah sure -Happy Pills'......or that kook who insulted me all night after I made him 3 cocktails and a delicious dinner- his solution to depression 'Eat some Pasta'..these people live unhappy dysfunctional lives...... and they wonder why they suffer from poor physical health (due to the stress they are under mentally) and have poor social relationships----

I may also add on to opinions of the horrible US Health care system. I pay $80 a month extra for prescription coverage with Blue Cross Anthem CT- when I dropped that coverage and attempted to buy my two meds in Canada I was told by my Doctor it was 'illegal' and he refuse to FAX them the Canada. Hmmm- ok here is a comparison of my one medication Buspirone here and in Canada; 200 tablets of Buspirone 15 mg $39.95- thats more then a 3 month supply for me 2 tablets a day. At the local CVS or Walgreen's- 180 tablets of Buspirone $235.00 for 90 days- Something is wrong badly in this country. Firstly decent health care is now only available to the lucky and the wealthy. The greed of these Pharmaceutical companies is astounding- as are the Insurance Companies. Add to that the stupidity of our elected officials who have NO empathy for many Americans struggling with health care costs---

Last edited by skytrekker; 05-10-2007 at 05:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health