Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:12 AM

235 posts, read 537,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
If I already had a good bit of money I'd probably move to a big city like Chicago or NY. But mainly just because I want a taste of something different. Michigan will always be my home.
This is how I feel, except the big city part. I love Michigan, but want to try something different. I would like a medium to large sized city in a place with slightly better weather. First choice would be Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,896,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay385 View Post
Really, if you could move right now would you? Jobs are pretty slow everywhere, this last winter wasn't that bad, and with global warming worsening, this year looks promising too! So what's holding you here? Family? Culture? Seasons? People? Can't sell your house?

Ive thought about moving a few times but have been turned off by every place I researched so I guess I'm staying put.
If I could move right now would I? NO, a very resounding no! It took me years to be able to make my move back to MI a reality and I don't plan on leaving while still alive.

What is holding me here? Good jobs, great pay rates, low cost of living, abundant clean fresh water, 4 great seasons, friendly people, beautiful scenery, great fishing, great hunting, everything I want or need is here.

Of course it took me years of living elsewhere to really see how good I had it here to begin with and how wrong I was when I moved years ago to "someplace better." After living in the South and Northeast and traveling to 48 of the 50 States (over a week in each to count for me), I have come to the conclusion that MI is home and always will be. So I moved back to my home state and will never leave again. I cherish the years spent in other States and would never give them up because I have made friends all over the US and Canada, and have memories that are outstanding of every state I have been to. Without those experiences and travels I would not have the full appreciation of what MI has to offer. Without those other addresses I would question if I really am where I can be the happiest and the have most fulfilling life I could have. With those moves though, I KNOW this is where I need and want to be.

Is MI for everyone? No, that is an absurd thought, some will be better off someplace else. That is fine with me, more room in this great place for me and those who do enjoy what we have.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:52 AM

21,185 posts, read 19,798,648 times
I have the ability to live just about anywhere I want, but I choose to stay here. Mostly because most of my family is here, but also because I've been all around the country and haven't found any place that is that much better than Michigan that would justify me moving.

(But ask again in February and I might give you another answer. )

Old 08-09-2012, 09:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,922,272 times
Depends on where the kids end up. While I like it here, I have no intention of living thousands of miles away from my grandchildren when/if I have grandchildren. I have yet to encounter a state that does nto have some part that has positives to living there over anywhere else. There are even places in Nebraska that would be pleasant to live in.

However there are still six states I have not visited. Maybe one of the six have no redeeming value to them at all.

Recently I was doing a mortgage aplication over the phone. they asked me "How long tdo you intend to stay in that house? Quick calculation, "I should live to be about 98, so I plan to live in this house for 49 years" However the reality of life is not always consistent with my plans, so I am aware we will likely leave if all of our kids move elsewhere.

Certainly I would not leave for Career advancement. I knowingly tanked a skyrocketing career by moving here. This year, I will probably make less than half of the income I made in any year between 2006-2008. Having been wealthy and poor, however I discovered it really does not make that big a difference in your overall quality of life. Five or ten other things are more important than how much you make.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:23 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,268,516 times
After returning to Michigan after 4 years in Alaska, I think I'll stay this time. The only place I would move to now is along the Superior shore, or close.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,896,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Five or ten other things are more important than how much you make.
That is pure gold right there.

When people slow down and come to the realization that money is NOT the end-all be-all to our existence they are MUCH happier. My Uncle just went through this after living his entire life driven by the dollar, when my Aunt got sick with a terminal condition he thought throwing some of his considerable wealth at the situation would help... it didn't. She passed away a few months ago now and recently he told me that if he had to do it all over again; he would treasure family and friendships instead of a large portfolio because a portfolio can't keep you company in the evening or talk to you during the day.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:51 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,324,280 times
Having lived in AZ and having lived through this miserably hot summer both made me realize that, while many of us gripe about our Michigan winters, we would honestly be lost without four distinct seasons. I am SO sick of waking up to temps already in the 80s by 7 am and the sun beating down like a laser beam on the brown, crunchy grass! When I woke up yesterday the rain and temps in the 70s felt like a gift from God, so how anyone survives in places like FL and TX is beyond me, and I don't intend to find out.

I figure it like this: Michigan weather at least varies, and if we do get anything extreme, it never lasts more than a couple of months. Some of the best universities and medical facilities in the country are in Michigan. We also have some of the most gorgeous scenery, and of course, the beautiful, one of a kind, Great Lakes. Michigan is filled with down home, down to earth people who are content to be where they are and are surrounded by family, one of the leading indicators for happiness in life for most people. Best of all, Michigan is highly underrated by so many people who have no idea what it is like to live here, that it isn't crowded and full of transplants from other parts of the country telling us, "that's not how we do things back home", which seems to be a recurring complaint on the forums of various sunbelt states here on C-D. All in all, MI is a great place to call home, and I am quite contented to live out my years here as long as my spouse feels the same way and, as Coldjensens pointed out, our kids stay somewhat close by. I also have no intention of living hundreds or thousands of miles away from my kids and grandkids, so yeah, I would move to be close to them, but that's about the only reason that I would at this point in my life.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,164,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Having lived in AZ and having lived through this miserably hot summer both made me realize that, while many of us gripe about our Michigan winters, we would honestly be lost without four distinct seasons. I am SO sick of waking up to temps already in the 80s by 7 am and the sun beating down like a laser beam on the brown, crunchy grass! When I woke up yesterday the rain and temps in the 70s felt like a gift from God, so how anyone survives in places like FL and TX is beyond me, and I don't intend to find out.

I figure it like this: Michigan weather at least varies, and if we do get anything extreme, it never lasts more than a couple of months. Some of the best universities and medical facilities in the country are in Michigan. We also have some of the most gorgeous scenery, and of course, the beautiful, one of a kind, Great Lakes. Michigan is filled with down home, down to earth people who are content to be where they are and are surrounded by family, one of the leading indicators for happiness in life for most people. Best of all, Michigan is highly underrated by so many people who have no idea what it is like to live here, that it isn't crowded and full of transplants from other parts of the country telling us, "that's not how we do things back home", which seems to be a recurring complaint on the forums of various sunbelt states here on C-D. All in all, MI is a great place to call home, and I am quite contented to live out my years here as long as my spouse feels the same way and, as Coldjensens pointed out, our kids stay somewhat close by. I also have no intention of living hundreds or thousands of miles away from my kids and grandkids, so yeah, I would move to be close to them, but that's about the only reason that I would at this point in my life.
My cousin moved to AZ 5 yrs ago. This is her common complaint. No change of seasons and she gets tired of everything being brown. As much as I hate snow, I do prefer to see some greenery.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,279,468 times
I have not been fortunate to be able to travel much. Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio and Arizona are about it. I have always vacationed in Michigan with the exception of my trip to Arizona. I have often wondered and thought it would be exciting to move and love somewhere else. But I have come to the conclusion that at 45 with my family rooted here in Michigan ( and my family is very important to me) that Michigan will always be my home. I just can't see myself moving away from family and friends and everything I have ever known. Sure I could try it and always come back, but I ask myself why? Where is the gain in change at this point in my life? If for health reasons I ever had to move that would be one thing. But as it is now we are at the point where my wife and kids, our friends and our families are really starting to enjoy what Michigan has to offer together. 1 week of our vacation is turning into a family event on the lake we rent the cottage on and we hope more people can make it next year. There is still A LOT of Michigan I have not seen but really want to see. How could I move before I do?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:10 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,911,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I have not been fortunate to be able to travel much. Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio and Arizona are about it. I have always vacationed in Michigan with the exception of my trip to Arizona. I have often wondered and thought it would be exciting to move and love somewhere else. But I have come to the conclusion that at 45 with my family rooted here in Michigan ( and my family is very important to me) that Michigan will always be my home. I just can't see myself moving away from family and friends and everything I have ever known. Sure I could try it and always come back, but I ask myself why? Where is the gain in change at this point in my life? If for health reasons I ever had to move that would be one thing. But as it is now we are at the point where my wife and kids, our friends and our families are really starting to enjoy what Michigan has to offer together. 1 week of our vacation is turning into a family event on the lake we rent the cottage on and we hope more people can make it next year. There is still A LOT of Michigan I have not seen but really want to see. How could I move before I do?
Good choice. Its really amazing to me how people can say Michigan has nothing to offer, and how little of the state most people who live here, have really seen. I was kinda in the same boat many years ago..having lived here my whole 45 years, but never really seeing much until we started camping. Now I cant even begin to express how much I love this state, and all she has to offer. We really do have an amazing place here, that most do not appreciate. I would never move, but if I had to...I would really miss that feeling you get when you head "Up north" I am not sure I could get that feeling anywhere else. To each his own...and like others have said...Michigan is sure not for everyone, but if you do live here, and have not traveled it much...you really do not know what you are missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan