Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:23 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'll be working on the far east side of Madison, so I'll end up living closer to Sun Prairie. I love the Downtown and university area and the fact they have a Trader Joe's!
Georgia O'Keeffe's home town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 AM

8 posts, read 18,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Having lived in AZ and having lived through this miserably hot summer both made me realize that, while many of us gripe about our Michigan winters, we would honestly be lost without four distinct seasons. I am SO sick of waking up to temps already in the 80s by 7 am and the sun beating down like a laser beam on the brown, crunchy grass! When I woke up yesterday the rain and temps in the 70s felt like a gift from God, so how anyone survives in places like FL and TX is beyond me, and I don't intend to find out.

I figure it like this: Michigan weather at least varies, and if we do get anything extreme, it never lasts more than a couple of months. Some of the best universities and medical facilities in the country are in Michigan. We also have some of the most gorgeous scenery, and of course, the beautiful, one of a kind, Great Lakes. Michigan is filled with down home, down to earth people who are content to be where they are and are surrounded by family, one of the leading indicators for happiness in life for most people. Best of all, Michigan is highly underrated by so many people who have no idea what it is like to live here, that it isn't crowded and full of transplants from other parts of the country telling us, "that's not how we do things back home", which seems to be a recurring complaint on the forums of various sunbelt states here on C-D. All in all, MI is a great place to call home, and I am quite contented to live out my years here as long as my spouse feels the same way and, as Coldjensens pointed out, our kids stay somewhat close by. I also have no intention of living hundreds or thousands of miles away from my kids and grandkids, so yeah, I would move to be close to them, but that's about the only reason that I would at this point in my life.
I was thinking about moving to Phoenix with my family but the heat and conservatives turned me off!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
Why move when you have a degree? Your opportunities should be endless.
a degree doesn't guarantee you a job anywhere.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 AM

i hate to bring it up but race has a lot to do with it for me. I am African American so i MUST keep that in mind when thinking abut moving to other places. There are some pockets in Michigan that i wont go near BUT for the most part its not a bad place. I stay in metro Detroit (novi) and its a nice area. I wouldn't go in northville or Plymouth though. Bad experiences. I dont really feel comfortable going up north eaither and its ashame because i hear its gorgeous up there. I would hate to follow the rest of the black people to atlanta...WAY too crowded. Places in the south/southwest aren't for me either so Michigan is just a good fit. Plus all of my family is here, we have the most fresh water, AND close to canada if i ever need to escape lol but seriously michigan gets a bad rap. Glad to hear some fellow michiganders express their love for the state. I just hope we can find another industry to bring home to the state and boost the employment rate.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:49 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
My brother was just home for his vacation, and he has lived in Honolulu for a long time now. The last thing I said to him before he left was that he would always be a "Michigan Man." His reply was "yup."

Old 08-22-2012, 07:33 PM

235 posts, read 536,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay385 View Post
i hate to bring it up but race has a lot to do with it for me. I am African American so i MUST keep that in mind when thinking abut moving to other places.
I have to agree with you--this is absolutely a factor. For what it's worth, I've never had a problem "up north". Actually, there are places where I've expected to have an issue and didn't, like WV where my brother lives and very rural Kentucky where they just stared because they hadn't seen black people in their grocery store before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay385 View Post
I would hate to follow the rest of the black people to atlanta...WAY too crowded.
Please stop it!

Old 09-01-2012, 04:26 PM

272 posts, read 723,964 times
Default returned

I left 2 years ago for work. Moved to NC. I was there first then my family came down. They didn't really like it so they moved back. I waited until our lease was up in NC and I came back. I recently took a job as an armored car driver. Doesn't pay great, but it'll do until I find what I want.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:33 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Unfortunately it is possible I will have to leave Michigan, job issues of course. I have not given up on a Michigan solution yet, but we will see. Tennessee, Georgia or even Arizona in the SW have been discussed. If I leave a nice state like Michigan for work I will not accept living somewhere I dont like at all for a job. TN and GA are nice places so I could live there, but no job is worth leaving Michigan for somewhere nasty. I am just praying that I dont have to leave at all.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
I left for a job in 2007. I tried to come back this summer, but it didn't pan out. I will be trying again next summer.
(I am a teacher and I had to report back to my current school in NC on August 13.)

Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I left for a job in 2007. I tried to come back this summer, but it didn't pan out. I will be trying again next summer.
(I am a teacher and I had to report back to my current school in NC on August 13.)
I find it encouraging that you want to return so badly, because so many people who have always lived here in Michigan seem to think that living in one of the Carolinas would be the Yellow Brick Road to eternal happiness, so it always piques my curiosity when I find someone who wants to come back here after living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan