Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
There is still A LOT of Michigan I have not seen but really want to see.

Hooray! Two words!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Good choice. Its really amazing to me how people can say Michigan has nothing to offer, and how little of the state most people who live here, have really seen. I was kinda in the same boat many years ago..having lived here my whole 45 years, but never really seeing much until we started camping. Now I cant even begin to express how much I love this state, and all she has to offer. We really do have an amazing place here, that most do not appreciate. I would never move, but if I had to...I would really miss that feeling you get when you head "Up north" I am not sure I could get that feeling anywhere else. To each his own...and like others have said...Michigan is sure not for everyone, but if you do live here, and have not traveled it much...you really do not know what you are missing.
I have myself a plan for the future. It may seem silly to some. Right now I have 2 weeks paid off from work I spend with my family and always will. But when my son gets older and can care for his diabetes better and spends more time with his friends than me ( like they always seem too) I plan to spend at least one week alone traveling throughout northern Michigan and mainly the U.P with my camera. I'd really love to park and just wonder off and get myself lost deep into some woods and look for places people have not been in who knows when. Not sure where, but those places have to exist. Just wander off the beaten path and photograph what I see. Hopefully new places that most don't bother finding. Think thats possible? But one week a year. Maybe get me a dual sport motorcycle and a little tent and just see what I can find.
I know I know people will ask why not take my family. Well as much as they like to be up north they don't care to rough it. So this will be my, until the day I hope my son wants to come.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:38 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Oh yeah...it more then possible! Lol...its very easy to get lost on some of those back roads and paths...and those are some of the best places to photograph!

Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Oh yeah...it more then possible! Lol...its very easy to get lost on some of those back roads and paths...and those are some of the best places to photograph!
Well maybe after you have your store established and we're both livin the dream we can make a plan to explore with our camera's and motorcycles.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:46 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,180 times
me personally? Im glad I made the move from georgia to michigan. Although I miss my family its something about this state that is so peaceful. I had the chance to visit lake michigan and I dont know why people would go any place else. It is absolutely beautiful. Ive had a few ups and downs since I been here. But sometimes it take some adjusting no matter where you move. I thought at first I was going to be homesick forever. Now I am so happy, with a great job. My son is in a wonderful school. Im glad I made the transition.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Well maybe after you have your store established and we're both livin the dream we can make a plan to explore with our camera's and motorcycles.
Hell yeah!!

Old 08-10-2012, 02:18 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
Quote:
I plan to spend at least one week alone traveling throughout northern Michigan and mainly the U.P with my camera. I'd really love to park and just wonder off and get myself lost deep into some woods and look for places people have not been in who knows when. Not sure where, but those places have to exist. Just wander off the beaten path and photograph what I see. Hopefully new places that most don't bother finding. Think thats possible? But one week a year. Maybe get me a dual sport motorcycle and a little tent and just see what I can find.
I use to do that all the time a number of years ago. Yes, you can still "get lost" and walk where very few have walked before.

There are only two area's that I haven't taken the time to explore in MI, one is the thumb area and the other is around Watersmeet. We're heading to the Keweenaw for a number of days the last weekend of September, first part of October for the colours.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I use to do that all the time a number of years ago. Yes, you can still "get lost" and walk where very few have walked before.

There are only two area's that I haven't taken the time to explore in MI, one is the thumb area and the other is around Watersmeet. We're heading to the Keweenaw for a number of days the last weekend of September, first part of October for the colours.
The Thumb is actually pretty cool. Once you get past all the farms (Which I love)..there is some beautiful area up there. Just Google "Turnip rock"!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:34 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,261 times
I've got one foot out the door. I'm very, very tempted to move without a job, too. Last winter was mild enough, but I feel like we got lucky. This winter is going to be a nightmare and I really need to get out before it hits.

Aside from that, since I can't use my degree here, the longer I stay the more useless my super expensive education is. I'm a little worried about the whole "Grass is greener" mentality, and since I have lots of bills I can't exactly just go off on a half-cocked adventure, but yeah, I'm definitely planning on leaving the state the first realistic opportunity that falls into my lap.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:00 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
You feel we got luck with the mild winter? Yikes!
That was one crappy winter, and worst of all, the harm it did. The lack of snow was big time bad for the whole state. About the only thing it was good for was the road commission, but then again, with the ground not freezing hard, the roads got tore so that just made more work in the spring. I hope we get dumped on this year, we need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan