Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 01:43 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Being “cautious about the decision….” is the most concerning. Oldsoldier1984 said the deliberate slow roll on the types of weapons given to Ukraine over the past 18 months, is orchestrated to achieve results that were undefined.

If we found out our allies slow-rolled their weapons systems thus causing more death, we would be ballistic. That’s barbaric. Inhumane. The U.S. has spent the last 18 months wasting time by not giving real weapons systems so it’s assumed the war support is a joke, political, money wasted, ineffective.

No good reasons (is there any?) have been provided on this thread for why the U.S. is withholding the real weapons. Call them deep state, globalists, warhawks, old school democrats, whatever makes them feel good.

This is what differentiates our country from many others. We have or at least used to have two functioning parties. The parties in congress that are making noise about assisting Ukraine are on both sides. The current congressional circus has been making getting as much as we could faster. As for the debate on providing Abrams and Leopards taking as long as it did was a hope that it would not escalate across to say Armenia or Poland. With the latter it would trigger a NATO response and we would officially be in WWIII.

But the current Republican party is responsible for a lot of the problems going. No chiefs in three of the military branches (Marines Army and Navy) with Air Force to be without a head this month. Congress wants to cut every program and service that they can name. But so far there are more sane people in congress then crazies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2023, 07:16 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
First off, let's set the facts straight. Russia invaded Ukraine after being warned not to. This has happened nearly 2 years ago and that war was supposed to be a quick operation. To date Ukrainians are those fighting and dying for their country, not Americans. Those Americans that are on the ground are on their own and are generally involved in rescue or training.

Next this war that you call Biden's war seems to be between Ukraine and Russia. It also seems to be going agains the Russians. So will you please stop trying to carry water for the former president of the US of A.
"Training". "Advisors". As I recall, that's how the Vietnam Quagmire (remember: it wasn't a "war") started.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:07 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
If you told a Republican during the Reagan administration that in 40 years members of the party would side with the Russians, they’d have laughed in your face.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:00 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
This is what differentiates our country from many others. We have or at least used to have two functioning parties. The parties in congress that are making noise about assisting Ukraine are on both sides. The current congressional circus has been making getting as much as we could faster. As for the debate on providing Abrams and Leopards taking as long as it did was a hope that it would not escalate across to say Armenia or Poland. With the latter it would trigger a NATO response and we would officially be in WWIII.

But the current Republican party is responsible for a lot of the problems going. No chiefs in three of the military branches (Marines Army and Navy) with Air Force to be without a head this month. Congress wants to cut every program and service that they can name. But so far there are more sane people in congress then crazies.
You are still ignore your comment about the reason for slow rolling the good weapons to Ukraine. Why? Don’t say the fake premise that the delay of good weapons, meaning those “offensive weapons” could not be given or we will be in ww3. But we won’t be (in ww 3) once we hand out cluster munitions ?

You’re not making any sense. The U.S. only sent the crappy weapons early to avoid ww 3? why would the U.S. now ramp up better weapons platforms? Is the U.S. trying to “get” Ukraine a win but the U.S. didn’t want a win right away?

Bottom line, the Ukraine effort is nearly as bad as the Afghanistan surrender by Biden.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:36 AM

1,651 posts, read 863,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
If you told a Republican during the Reagan administration that in 40 years members of the party would side with the Russians, they’d have laughed in your face.
If you told a Democrat during the later stages of the Iraq war that members of their party would become the war hawks who support endless wars they would have laughed in your face. In the end it was the defense contractors got the last laugh. Suckered both parties and the American people.

Old 09-10-2023, 07:19 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I’m tired of Democrats painting everyone who doesn’t support throwing hundreds of millions at the Ukrainians as “Russian supporters”.

I don’t support Russia, nor do I support Ukraine. I don’t care where the Russian-Ukrainian border ends up being. I’m more interested in securing the Mexican border, not the Ukrainian border.

I consider this whole thing nothing more than a border dispute that we should not even be involved with. Poland is my red line, not Ukraine.

I also support taking the sanctions off of Russia so we can all get back to making more money. The donor class is making a ton of money off the weapons systems being given to Ukraine. How about growing the S&P 500 so us little folks can have more money in retirement?

Old 09-10-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’m tired of Democrats painting everyone who doesn’t support throwing hundreds of millions at the Ukrainians as “Russian supporters”.

I don’t support Russia, nor do I support Ukraine. I don’t care where the Russian-Ukrainian border ends up being. I’m more interested in securing the Mexican border, not the Ukrainian border.

I consider this whole thing nothing more than a border dispute that we should not even be involved with. Poland is my red line, not Ukraine.

I also support taking the sanctions off of Russia so we can all get back to making more money. The donor class is making a ton of money off the weapons systems being given to Ukraine. How about growing the S&P 500 so us little folks can have more money in retirement?
Well phrased.

A vote against sending (more?) BILLIONS $$$ into Ukraine with zero effort on accountability, is not an auto vote for Russia. That’s the democrat effort to shame everyone into thinking that sending BILLIONS $$$ forever, is a good thing for Americans.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:46 PM

565 posts, read 470,434 times
Saigon 1975, Kabul 2021, Kiev 2042? Evacuations make for dramatic cinema.

Old 09-20-2023, 05:45 AM

Ukraine contract update

Hot off the press just 15 hours ago. General Milley before he retires… one last effort to push for Ukraine contracts.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcr...chiefs-of-sta/

This is a combined press conference with Austin and Milley. One of the last questions Miley was asked is on accountability and here is a classic answer saying basically; (implying that audits are unnecessary)

Quote “The real proof of accountability is the destruction of the Russian military. If you really want the accountability, it's on the battlefield. And the accountability of those munitions is showing up in the Russian ground forces or air forces that have been killed or wounded since the beginning of this war.”

And latest fact sheet: $45 billion and counting. It was over $100 billion but the “recalculation on the depreciation of weapons and ammo” lowered the “net worth” of the aid in net value. Reminder this comes directly out of DOD’s budget so in 2023 and heading into 2024, DOD has actual, reduced budgets.

https://media.defense.gov/2023/Sep/0...FACT-SHEET.PDF

Last edited by johnsonkk; 09-20-2023 at 06:05 AM..

Old 09-20-2023, 12:47 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Ukraine contract update

Hot off the press just 15 hours ago. General Milley before he retires… one last effort to push for Ukraine contracts.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcr...chiefs-of-sta/

This is a combined press conference with Austin and Milley. One of the last questions Miley was asked is on accountability and here is a classic answer saying basically; (implying that audits are unnecessary)

Quote “The real proof of accountability is the destruction of the Russian military. If you really want the accountability, it's on the battlefield. And the accountability of those munitions is showing up in the Russian ground forces or air forces that have been killed or wounded since the beginning of this war.”

And latest fact sheet: $45 billion and counting. It was over $100 billion but the “recalculation on the depreciation of weapons and ammo” lowered the “net worth” of the aid in net value. Reminder this comes directly out of DOD’s budget so in 2023 and heading into 2024, DOD has actual, reduced budgets.

https://media.defense.gov/2023/Sep/0...FACT-SHEET.PDF
These Ukranians took out a Russian Black Sea submarine. Reports say it was a missile.
Attached Thumbnails
Hazardous duty pay expanded - to Ukraine-polish_20230918_150732180-scaled-2-300x200.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues