Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 08:15 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I’m just a lowly retired Army E-7, but their are several factors already mentioned like a strong job market, kids being fatter, may have hard drug and/or criminal issues, but the fact remains that since the summer of 2020, American society has charged and not for the best.

Yes, politics do play in recruiting efforts since I’m sure that many young men and women clearly remember the Afghanistan retreat and the senseless death of 13 American service personnel for no reason, the Houthis terrorist shooting missiles at American warships and they don’t do anything to stop the attacks. And now, after close to 200 attacks on American forces in the Middle East since October 2023, the Iranians finally got lucky and killed 3 young American Soldiers in Jordan AND Biden hasn’t done anything other that hit some empty warehouses or empty weapons bunkers. Even after the death of these 3 young American Soldiers this administration is only talking tough, but not doing anything to prevent these attacks. Many Americans, to include myself know that Biden’s response will be more empty warehouses and empty weapons bunkers in the middle of nowhere.

So why would any young man or woman joined the military today knowing that you may be sacrificed and forgotten by the current administration?

Let’s be real, with a strong job market with good growth potential, why join a team that seems to be losing on all fronts? Don’t get me wrong, I love our military and everybody in it, but today’s youth is plugged in to events around the world and had information at their fingertips, what wasn’t available when I enlisted back in the 1980s. Yes, HUGE enlistment bonuses and free college sounds great, but the possibility of being killed in the Middle East kind of slaps you back into reality.

Also, kids today can stay with their parents well into their mid/late 20s and even into their 30s, that’s another factor why today’s youth are not in a hurry to enlist in the Armed Forces.

Say what you will, but when the military went overboard with WOKE and Diversity & Inclusion training that passively blamed White people for everything, why didn’t all the Generals and Admirals see that this would turn off a significant amount of young White men and women and stop this BS? Again, why join a team that currently isn’t winning and being blamed because of your Color?

Heck, I’m still trying to figure out what the heck is this White Rage BS and I’m half White!

Let’s be honest, most young men and women want to join a winning team that has a strong image that may even challenge them to be their very best. The military need to focus on BEING a winning team, especially the Army, since they need to get away from their “soft recruiting” campaigns. Show Soldiers doing cool Army stuff like rappelling/fast roping from helicopters, massive airborne jumps, in full combat gear, M1 tanks and Bradly IFV charging into battle and blowing stuff up!! That’s how you increase your enlistment numbers!! As for the Navy, do the same thing, but with your destroyers and aircraft carriers!!

That’s what the Marines are doing and they are doing fine!!

This is from USA Facts and based on a survey of 16-18 year old's provides the top ten reasons they aren't interested in joining the military.

Quote:
https://usafacts.org/articles/milita...tment-is-down/

Physical and emotional trauma are the most common reasons for not considering joining the military.
Top 10 reasons selected by surveyed youth when asked, "What would be the main reason(s) why you would not consider joining the U.S. Military?"
A sideways bar chart indicating the top 10 reasons why youths ages 16–21 would not consider joining the military. Physical and emotional trauma are the top reasons.

Possibility of physical injury/death
70%
Possibility of PTSD or other emotional/psychological issues
65%
Leaving family and friends
58%
Other career interests
46%
Dislike of military lifestyle
40%
Too long of a commitment
36%
Possibility of interference with college education
35%
Required to live in places I don't want to live in
35%
Don't believe I would qualify
33%
Possibility of sexual harassment/assault
33%
Youth ages 16–21. Respondents could select multiple reasons.
I will note that none of the reasons invoke "woke", DEI, or any other expression some have been using in recent years.

Last edited by volosong; 02-21-2024 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: inserted missing close quote hypertag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 02:15 PM

333 posts, read 153,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMBender View Post
It does, it's also a program that has one of the highest % rates of fraud and predatory practices from institutions. Only Medicare/cade is higher.
I don't see how fraud factors into non-white recruits signing up because they can't afford college on their own dime, and have a more difficult time qualifying for a loan.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:35 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is from USA Facts and based on a survey of 16-18 year old's provides the top ten reasons they aren't interested in joining the military.

Quote:
https://usafacts.org/articles/milita...tment-is-down/

Physical and emotional trauma are the most common reasons for not considering joining the military.
Top 10 reasons selected by surveyed youth when asked, "What would be the main reason(s) why you would not consider joining the U.S. Military?"
A sideways bar chart indicating the top 10 reasons why youths ages 16–21 would not consider joining the military. Physical and emotional trauma are the top reasons.

Possibility of physical injury/death
70%
Possibility of PTSD or other emotional/psychological issues
65%
Leaving family and friends
58%
Other career interests
46%
Dislike of military lifestyle
40%
Too long of a commitment
36%
Possibility of interference with college education
35%
Required to live in places I don't want to live in
35%
Don't believe I would qualify
33%
Possibility of sexual harassment/assault
33%
Youth ages 16–21. Respondents could select multiple reasons.

I will note that none of the reasons invoke "woke", DEI, or any other expression some have been using in recent years.
I think you're right. We're talking about Generation Z, and Generation Z is a 'way different kind of people. These are the same kinds of issues that affect them in civilian employment as well, such as being dismayed that they're expected to come to work a full eight hours every day.

And, no, DEI is not a big factor because they've been raised and educated in DEI all their lives.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:28 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,081,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think you're right. We're talking about Generation Z, and Generation Z is a 'way different kind of people. These are the same kinds of issues that affect them in civilian employment as well, such as being dismayed that they're expected to come to work a full eight hours every day.

And, no, DEI is not a big factor because they've been raised and educated in DEI all their lives.
Please give the youth more credit than being blindly ignorant of the effects of DEI because they’ve “grown up with DEI”.

As stated earlier, the military is happy only 52% of recruits are Caucasian and yet they act surprised when Caucasian recruits have dropped by 20% in last five years. Can’t be DEI.

Old 02-05-2024, 10:30 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

I had to share this. I have a friend who works for a large law firm. She is about my age and is involved in hiring and training new associate attorneys. She has complained more than one time about the youngest generation. She's noted, she gets many questions that go like "Just how many hours do I have to work here?" and "I want a promise I won't have to work on _______ type of case". Being late to work is common and there are many complaints. Our generation encountered intense competition for jobs because there were so many babyboomers. No one would have dreamed of arguing over how many hours they had to work at a law firm to make partner. It was a rare opportunity and one that I never had. Life has changed. My children (ages 24 and 31) have a pretty good work ethic and are making a decent to good living. So, the problems are not universal, but they are much more common with this generation.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:12 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,536 times
In regards to the USA Facts, well they better wise up, because we are all going to die someday, and it might not be in your sleep. My late father served from 1942 to 1975, 3 Army Air Corps, 30 Airforce. When WW2 came ,he had a deferment because he was working at Briggs and Stratton in Milwaukee, but told grandpa he was going in anyways.
He once came right and said he knew what war was, it's men killing men. Had no illusions, and said he modeled his life on his father's family. My relatives in Germany where his family came from have been in the military for generations. Undoubtly some probably fought in the Crusades, and before that the Romans or other Germanic tribes. He once said that through the military he went places he would never have been able to go to. He had some relatives for Hitler and some against him. He also made the comment he wanted to kick Hitler's behind.

We kids moved where ever momma and daddy went. We weren't traumatized by moves, it was like an adventure, new places and people to see and meet. Makes me wonder if a war came here, would they do anything to defened their own friends and relatives, much less the rest of us.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:15 AM

1,215 posts, read 504,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I’m just a lowly retired Army E-7, but their are several factors already mentioned like a strong job market, kids being fatter, may have hard drug and/or criminal issues, but the fact remains that since the summer of 2020, American society has charged and not for the best.

Yes, politics do play in recruiting efforts since I’m sure that many young men and women clearly remember the Afghanistan retreat and the senseless death of 13 American service personnel for no reason, the Houthis terrorist shooting missiles at American warships and they don’t do anything to stop the attacks. And now, after close to 200 attacks on American forces in the Middle East since October 2023, the Iranians finally got lucky and killed 3 young American Soldiers in Jordan AND Biden hasn’t done anything other that hit some empty warehouses or empty weapons bunkers. Even after the death of these 3 young American Soldiers this administration is only talking tough, but not doing anything to prevent these attacks. Many Americans, to include myself know that Biden’s response will be more empty warehouses and empty weapons bunkers in the middle of nowhere.

So why would any young man or woman joined the military today knowing that you may be sacrificed and forgotten by the current administration?

Let’s be real, with a strong job market with good growth potential, why join a team that seems to be losing on all fronts? Don’t get me wrong, I love our military and everybody in it, but today’s youth is plugged in to events around the world and had information at their fingertips, what wasn’t available when I enlisted back in the 1980s. Yes, HUGE enlistment bonuses and free college sounds great, but the possibility of being killed in the Middle East kind of slaps you back into reality.

Also, kids today can stay with their parents well into their mid/late 20s and even into their 30s, that’s another factor why today’s youth are not in a hurry to enlist in the Armed Forces.

Say what you will, but when the military went overboard with WOKE and Diversity & Inclusion training that passively blamed White people for everything, why didn’t all the Generals and Admirals see that this would turn off a significant amount of young White men and women and stop this BS? Again, why join a team that currently isn’t winning and being blamed because of your Color?

Heck, I’m still trying to figure out what the heck is this White Rage BS and I’m half White!

Let’s be honest, most young men and women want to join a winning team that has a strong image that may even challenge them to be their very best. The military need to focus on BEING a winning team, especially the Army, since they need to get away from their “soft recruiting” campaigns. Show Soldiers doing cool Army stuff like rappelling/fast roping from helicopters, massive airborne jumps, in full combat gear, M1 tanks and Bradly IFV charging into battle and blowing stuff up!! That’s how you increase your enlistment numbers!! As for the Navy, do the same thing, but with your destroyers and aircraft carriers!!

That’s what the Marines are doing and they are doing fine!!

That's because DEI and anti whiteness were NOT included as options to select in the poll.

Last edited by volosong; 02-21-2024 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: inserted missing close quote hypertag

Old 03-06-2024, 06:10 AM

1,215 posts, read 504,710 times
The Dep of Veteran Affairs banned the famous WW2 V-J Day kiss Time Square photo from it's facilities. They then backtracked.
https://redstate.com/streiff/2024/03...utcry-n2170971

Old 03-06-2024, 09:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor many young men volunteered to join the military to fight for their country, and again to a lesser extent after 911, when we were attacked. During peacetime, or war's like Vietnam and now Israel-Hamas where there is no direct threat to the USA most volunteers are less educated, and either desperate in looking for a job, or hoping to take advantage of the veteran's benefits to be able to buy a home.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:13 AM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Funny, the article states this decline started in 2018.

British Army having issues as well! https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...itment-crisis/

It's almost as if it's a problem with today's youth. But nah, it must be political.
It's both IMO. Today's youth, starting with the smart phone access, have been dumbed down and gotten addicted to dumbphone stupidity such as endless games, selfies galore, selfies with their 100 BFFs, more games...

Skoolz have been dumbed down significantly since the '60s. Between limited thinking ability plus obesity gone overboard, we are in deep deep doo-doo. Start by getting the skoolz back on track, which would require a head to toe shakeup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues