Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:25 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,580,124 times

Advertisements

Our talk using Navy pitsnipe slang and technical terms reminded me of the number of fake veterans out there. You ever use such terms or slang to catch a fake veteran in the act and call him on it? My one time was when donating clothing to the homeless shelter and this guy was begging saying he was a homeless vet. Was real easy to catch him on it when he claimed to have served in the Navy. Few sentences into the conversation he admitted the truth. He arrived at Navy bootcamp and failed the drug test.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:00 AM

10,181 posts, read 20,813,606 times
I had a neighbor who served a very short time in the Army before he was kicked out. He used to tell everyone he was in Vietnam. Had that been true he would have been about 12 years old when he served.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,485,326 times
I'm not a veteran. I had a conversation with a man who said he was an injured veteran from the Gulf War. I asked him how he injured himself, and he said he fell off of an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. Hand to heart, I'm not kidding. He was on some serious pain meds, but I still have my suspicions...

Old 01-28-2009, 01:35 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,721,577 times
Remember Trading Places with Eddie Murphy- the blind, no legs...think he said veteran- homeless one?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,953,107 times
My former BIL. Said he was former AF. My dh was active Navy... I knew the guy was full of bull, but it wasn't for SEVERAL years that my sister finally confronted him on it with the stuff I'd told her was suspicious.

Just one of the MANY reasons that she claims her divorce was my fault. So much wrong with those two words!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 PM

349 posts, read 863,933 times
im sure when i tell people im a vet, they think im lying- i look like im 18. its especially interesting when i go to the va.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:21 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,299,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post
im sure when i tell people im a vet, they think im lying- i look like im 18. its especially interesting when i go to the va.

I have that same problem, people are like really?

To the OP. My wife and I were walking in Wal Mart and I saw a guy who was wearing ACU's but had rank and the Army patch but no rank, name or unit patch on. He was wearing a baseball hat and gym shoes indoors. He walked passed I asked my wife if she saw him and he disappeared down an aisle before I could ask him questions.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,959,238 times
You guys probably don't know that during WW11 there was a 14 yr old in the US navy in the Pacific. He weighed about 200 lbs and was big for his age. Don't recall how he got in.

Have a confession to make. I was 14 in the Canadian reserve Army during WW11 and served three yrs and have my discharge from the Canadian Army on the wall next to my American Army discharge with my ribbons from Korea.

Things do really happen. Steve

Old 01-29-2009, 05:29 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,747,584 times
Quote:
LOL just the opposite for me I look so old they ask if I served in the Nam.... I'm only 48. (PG-1) But yea I get the "I'm a vet" deal all the time. We just had a guy claims "Vets Preference at work, when we asked him for his DD214 to confirm active service he balked......

Old 01-29-2009, 06:06 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,267,604 times
Quote:

Yeah, I get that one too.

I worked with a guy who was in the National Guard, I think his job was filling up trucks with gas or something like that. The first time I talked to him he said he had not been to Iraq. I talked to him a year and a half later and he was telling me about his time in Iraq. I asked him where he was in Iraq and of course the answer was "All over. By Baghdad, mainly". When I asked what part of Baghdad it was "Northwest Baghdad". Not only did he courageously fill up trucks with gas while he was there, he also did some sweet infantry stuff.

The guy was very religious and home schooled. The best part of his war stories was hearing him talk about how unbelievable it was that male and female soldiers would "do it".

A month or so later I asked him about Iraq again and he said he wasn't there.

There used to be a dude of about 20 years old who would walk around downtown Des Moines in BDUs, a gray Army shirt and a boonie cover and tell people he was a Ranger. He was also about a good 80lbs overweight. A girl I dated rode on the same bus he would ride every day and hear his stories about work that day - jumping out of planes, eating snakes, blowing things up, you name it.

The guy said something to this girl or touched her or something and she ended up beating him up. Pretty funny.

On another note, one sure does meet a lot of snipers, Navy SEALS, recon bubbas and Rangers out there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.