Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 12:40 PM

9 posts, read 30,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasota View Post
I miss it too! We lived in Royal Oaks from 1969-1972. I was 8-12 and attended both the elementary and middle school. A part of me will forever live there.
We were there at the same time. Maybe we knew each other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jichy View Post
I was trying to see my old residence in Royal Oaks on Google Street view when I learned Torrejon AFB closed in the 90s and Royal Oaks was demolished! I was bummed out about that and looking for more when I came across this Memory site. I am amazed to learn how many other people have such fond memories of living in the Roaks. We lived in Madrid when we first got there and I remember we had rats in the bathroom and I played with the Spanish children with no language barriers ever getting in the way. We played Cops and Robbers with them as well and somehow we were always the cops... We moved to unit 31C and lived there from 1967 to 1970. I was in Ms. Hartzog's 3rd grade class in 1968 like Jerry and wonder if he remembers me. I wish I could remember a lot of names like so many of you but am limited. I remember we, my brothers and I, hung out with the Shetterlys. There was Erin, Kiko, Joe and about five more. They lived in La Moraleja and were children of an embassy employee. I often think of the huge pool that I got to swim on the swim team in and went to every day of summer. To this day I love swimming pools and think of it every time I enjoy a nice one. Remember the baby pool how it was a gorgeous piece of landscaping as well? I used to get to go some of the dances though I was too young because my mom would chaperone. "I'm So Dizzy"- "Yummy Yummy Yummy I got love in my tummy" "Jam up and jelly tight" on and on. The music of the era was one of the best things. And yes I remember the Candy Man with his huge satchel and the peddler in the caravan. Peepas and cases of drinks delivered weekly. I have spoken often of Sewer Hopping with no response showing any kind of understanding of how fun it was. No one else on earth has ever heard of it! Because of the great skill learned by my brothers I escaped a gypsy who chased me through the woods. I was able to cross one sewer that he did not attempt and when I reached the playground at the elementary school and looked back he was returning to where he came from! I just brought that story up to my husband a couple of days ago exclaiming how different my life would be if I had been captured. crazy... My siblings are all older than I am- Rebecca. Suzy, Ted, Rick Sawyer. My brothers would play war with me and on their own they would throw rocks at street lights and get in trouble with the Spanish guardia. They peed in bottles and tried to get people to believe it was wine. We used to ring doorbells and run. Our phone number was 743-- "La Moraleja-- diga me!" And the wonderful, sunny days running through the fields I will never forget. There was a hill with white letters on it-- anyone remember? Beautiful spot. The cathedrals and the Royal Palace. Yes, I am reminded of Spain often. So many things take me back and I had realized long ago that I look back on that time more then I refer to any other time and place in my life. I remember the iguanas we would put in the metal trash barrels to startle the next person to open it. I remember the Rastro and Navacerrada. I live in southern Wyoming and it gets cold and can be very hot and dry in the summer as well which somehow reminds me of climate of Spain. Even some of the landscape and the plateaus bring me back.
Must have been an American thing being a cop and playing with the Spanish kids. We lived in Plaza Castillo for about a year before going to Royal Oaks. They were digging up the roads in front of our house. We played Spanish American war, throwing rocks at each other, until a rock hit my little brother knocking his tooth out. Our time there over lapped yours we were there 1969 -1973. I had a friend Sara Stump who's father was a NASA guy there. We were spoiled by that pool in the Oaks, unfortunately I didn't realize how much until we moved state side. I have not been able to go to public pools since then. I often tell people about the days of Royal Oaks, and how during the summer months we (My brothers and sister and I) would leave the house at the crack of dawn and not return until dusk, I was also on the swim team and junior life saving. The swim team was the dolphins, and we met with Rota and the Navy team. I smiled reading your post it brought back so many good memories. thank you for sharing.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jichy View Post
Found previous Royal Oaks Elementary students forum now as well and reading even more journeys into the past that along with what I have pried from the cobwebs of my mind on this site have overwhelmed me with all of the things I have not thought about for years, especially all at one time. Devil's Cliff was another of the seemingly endless adventures we shared. The smell of a hamburger grilling never ceases to bring me back to those wonderful quarter hamburgers sold at the pool. Living there also made you a fudgesicle fan for life. We would sleep out on the patio on hot summer nights and my brothers would just spend the night away from the house returning in time to not get caught. All of the peddlers too with their carts and wares. My dad also bought from the oil paintings peddler and I am looking at the painting we fondly call "the senorita" depicting a lovely buxom young spanish lady. Names are coming back now too-- Susan and Terri Garcia, Ann Eikenberry and her parents- Candy and Randy Moon, the Cunninghams... Playing tether ball, kick the can, staying out late in the summers regardless that I was only 7, 8 and 9. I still love eating very late in the summer especially something grilled. Spent all kinds of time outdoors and set a pattern for the rest of my life. My dad brought back sour sticks from TDY and everyone kept wanting them so much that my mom ended up selling them to the neighborhood. I did not like that at all as I could just eat them myself til they were gone if allowed. Hope I connect with someone that stirs a memory with my sharing.
Devil's cliff, was my first hiking experience, I think about the poppy field and how pretty it was. Your last post reminded me of Peepe and the candy truck and lets not forget the pie guy who gave us free pies for our birthday. My mom and I often spoke of how the four years there were the best years. I feel sad sometimes when I think that so many people never got to experience the freedom we did there.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene stricklin View Post
My Dad was in the USAF. I lived in Madrid for one year then we moved to Royal Oaks. We lived near the back way out of RO. Many would hitch hike a ride from an America from that intersection to go to the base. I did the same many times. We lived just up the hill from that intersection in a 2 story quad plex apartment. It was from 1962 to 1964. I attended Madrid High at Torrejon AFB. My younger sister and two brothers went to the elementary school in Royal Oaks... I also went to art school during this time at Belles artes de San Franando on Calle Alcala near plaza Major in Madrid everyday from 6pm to 9 pm everyday after going to MHS. I did this everyday even in the summer and graduated from BADS in 1964... THose yrs were some of my most memorable. ! After returning to the Conus I went to collage til I was drafted and the went to Vietnam. I was wounded at Bien Hoa . When I was in VN I ran into one of my class mates ( amazing chance) from MHS there in a NCO club in Saigon. I remember his name.. Johnny Bragg. He and I were on the track team together.. I have never seen any class mates since. I'm now 66 yrs old.. How time has flown. Best wishes to all.. ! gene stricklin
Gene we were there after you and lived right down the hill from the hitching post. I remember missing the bus to school and mom saying too bad you're going, Go to the hitching post.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,012 times
anyone play baseball at royal oaks about 65 -68

Old 11-09-2013, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,956 times
My name is Nancy and I lived in Royal Oaks from 63 through 66. My dad was stationed at the American Embassy. I went to the Royal Oaks elementry school, then transferred to Torrejon Jr. High School. I was also in Girl Scouts, played softball. Loved the American Theater downtown Madrid as well as the one in Royal Oaks. We were also in the Aitena Hotel 3 months while waiting on housing in Royal Oaks. I remember Jim Wall, Steve Story, Greg and Paula Palmberg, Sheila Kennedy. We had great times running wild through the country side outside of Royal Oaks. I could go on and on, but one last thing, passing for a summer pass and swimming from the time the pool opened until it closed.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,877 times
Default Royal Oaks

My father was stationed at Torrejon and we lived in Royal Oaks for 3 yrs 1967 to 1969. I have fond memories of this place. My sister & I kept green hair all summer from swimming in that pool. I don't remember names except a family named Figgins who were neighbors and my boyfriend was David LaRosa. I walked home alone many a night from the movie theatre (it was a safer time back then). I still love to go to the movie theatre even if Beach Blanket Bingo with Annette & Frankie aren't showing. 😉

Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
There are some pictures "Photos of Royal Oaks Elementary School - Madrid, Spain" here on this facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7384720&ref=mf

There also is this Video: Royal Oaks Madrid, Spain Dec 92

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-20-2016 at 07:37 PM..

Old 11-30-2013, 03:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,852 times
Hi there! Anybody still living in the area?

We have a project to bring back youth american football to La Moraleja - under the name of the Royal Oaks Knights. This is still a startup so anybody is more than welcome to help and bring their own ideas to make this possible.

There are over 16 international schools in the area - in an already multi-cultural, vibrant community. Definitely a niche for a football team!

If you would like to join in or just to stay informed if you are far from us, please answer here or write me at royaloaksknights@gmail.com
Let's make it happen!

Last edited by Chomon81; 11-30-2013 at 04:50 AM..

Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 7,872 times
We were stationed at Torrejon from 62-64. I only remember one teacher, Mrs Guy was my 8th grade English teacher. After all these years, I still can't enjoy a Pepsi Cola and potato chips because they were so good in Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues