Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:45 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,157,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Oh, yeah, I was talking '60s, '70s.

As usual, I was as clear as mud...I meant that I figure the term came from WWII when "jerry"=german.
No problem.

I'm not sure where the term came from for the fuel can because that's what we use to always call it.

But to "Jerry Rig" something, is to fix it just enough to get it to work for the time being.

Don't you just love all these names and terms the we servicemen always use ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 11:08 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,201,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Don't you just love all these names and terms the we servicemen always use ?
Absolutely! I hadn't really thought about it before this thread, but over the years my ears have kind of pricked up at hearing an expression or word from someone that tends to indicate they've had some military background. Seems as I get older, I hear less and less of it, too. I'm of an age (51) where most guys a little older than myself and up had some military experience, but today, with a couple generations of having only and all-volunteer force, that once-common experience is becoming more and more rare in today's society.

Couple of others I've thought of meaning the same thing...

Bought the farm
Auger in

Others--
Bone dome--helmet--first heard the first time my dad caught me riding my motorcycle without one
Bus driver--transport pilot
Whiskey Charlie--Who cares?

Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Absolutely! I hadn't really thought about it before this thread, but over the years my ears have kind of pricked up at hearing an expression or word from someone that tends to indicate they've had some military background. Seems as I get older, I hear less and less of it, too. I'm of an age (51) where most guys a little older than myself and up had some military experience, but today, with a couple generations of having only and all-volunteer force, that once-common experience is becoming more and more rare in today's society.

Couple of others I've thought of meaning the same thing...

Bought the farm
Auger in

Others--
Bone dome--helmet--first heard the first time my dad caught me riding my motorcycle without one
Bus driver--transport pilot
Whiskey Charlie--Who cares?
Don't forget the infamous "Cattle Trucks". You know the one that they used to transport us from the barracks to the firing ranges when we were in basic training like cattle?
Or, the GI's favorite, "Silver Bullet", the very large silver coffee container, which was also used to transport "Bug Juice" (Kool-ade) to the field. And not the one used by the medics because someone couldn't keep his joy toy in his pants .

Old 03-15-2010, 07:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Shake and bake- where you seen a private to NCO or Officer cadet school and create a leader of men.
GI bath;for those that don't themsleves. It consist of a scrubbing with a green scuff pad from the mess hall;soap then drying by rolling up in a wool army blanket.Tends to make one have a clean fedish thereafter.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:44 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,231,512 times
Playing Grab Ass=Goofing off, like when the the Chief said to you,"You guys quit playing grab ass and get some work done".

Old 03-15-2010, 09:11 PM

How about a good ole (GI Party)? I'm sure there are ton of us out there that had to pull an all nighter to prepare the barrack for an inspection. Right?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,639,516 times
I remember the DIs referring to our heads as grapes. Never heard it outside of PISC, though.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:43 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,247,963 times
clusterf@&k

Old 03-16-2010, 07:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,700,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I remember the DIs referring to our heads as grapes. Never heard it outside of PISC, though.
Only grapes I knew of worked in V-4. Fuel jockeys for the birds.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:19 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,550,712 times
Fighter Pilot: Heavy Equipment Operator with Good Eyesight

When Mather AFB, CA was the home of the USAF's Navigator training, ther were a number of bumper stickers on base that said: "NAVIGATORS DO IT IN THE BACK SEAT"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues