Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 06:31 AM

19,147 posts, read 25,371,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
He called Nazis 'very fine people'? Do you have a source? I think the president saying "Nazis are very fine people." would cause far more domestic strife than we are experiencing. Why aren't Jews and minorities burning the country down if the president actually stated that Nazis are 'fine people'?
I never mentioned anyone by name or by title, but I find it...let's just say... interesting... that you brought the POTUS into the discussion.
Hmmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 06:52 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Pretty much. As much as I hate to say it, I am.

I wish I had a picture of my father's face when mom told him that I was dating a black guy.
It was the opposite in my family. When my sister was first living with the man who is now her husband, my mother and she were a bit estranged because she'd divorced her first (white) husband, and back then getting a divorce was a big deal. No one had ever gotten divorced in the family before.

So, my father went to visit my sister and meet her black boyfriend. He came home, and my mother asked, "So, what is he like?" My father said, "Nice guy. What's for dinner?"

That was in 1975. Back then people still stared at them as they walked through the mall or went out to dinner together. Now, she says, nobody looks at them twice.

Basically, my sister married our father in an African-American version. Mellow, easy-going personality, intelligent, family man. Mom learned to love him in time.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:42 PM

32,961 posts, read 36,433,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It was the opposite in my family. When my sister was first living with the man who is now her husband, my mother and she were a bit estranged because she'd divorced her first (white) husband, and back then getting a divorce was a big deal. No one had ever gotten divorced in the family before.

So, my father went to visit my sister and meet her black boyfriend. He came home, and my mother asked, "So, what is he like?" My father said, "Nice guy. What's for dinner?"

That was in 1975. Back then people still stared at them as they walked through the mall or went out to dinner together. Now, she says, nobody looks at them twice.

Basically, my sister married our father in an African-American version. Mellow, easy-going personality, intelligent, family man. Mom learned to love him in time.
Tall, dark and handsome. He was an engineer who'd graduated from Cal Poly. Dad refused to speak to him. That was pretty embarrassing. When the doorbell rang, dad would go into the kitchen. Mom was all over him.

Hi Dave! Come in and sit down. How's your mom doing?

I didn't realize she had a problem with it. She talked with my sister about it. That was a topic about 5 years ago. Mom said I fell in love with the guy. Maybe I did. He was working a 6 month temp job in the area, so I knew he was leaving. Fun while it lasted.

He and the other nuclear engineers were a serious barrel of laughs.

There's a party going on right here...

Old 10-28-2017, 08:24 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,366,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kst18 View Post
Born and raised in Jersey. Lived in Maryland for six years and knew I had to return to the Garden State. Some people get caught up in the rat race - - some of us make a choice not to. Sounds like you can definitely go and explore and maybe find that another state's pace is more suited towards you. For me, I like Jersey because it's ethnically diverse, good food, good parks, close to NYC (where I work), everything is accessible (e.g. the airport, beach, lakes, mountains, woods, major cities, stores) fairly conveniently. I also find it interesting how in Jersey you can be in Jersey City which is basically our version of Brooklyn and an hour later be surrounded by working farms and horses. Have you been to Texas? 3/4 of it looks exactly the same. Yes the drivers suck. Yes the taxes suck. It's all about where you can find happiness.

3/4 of Texas looks the SAME!? Obviously you have NO idea what you are talking about and I'm a guy who lived in the Philly area, visited the Shore as a kid all the time but live now in Texas. East Texas looks NOTHING like West Texas as the 600 mile coast line looks nothing like the Hill Country.

East Texas is heavily wooded with two national forests and state forest. It has the mossy Caddo Lake, and Toledo Bend, the largest Reservoir in the south, and Sam Rayburn lake and Lake Livingston.

The Hill Country of Central Texas is an area as large as NJ itself and its scenic elevation, its very rustic feel and known for its wineries (3rd in U.S. production).

West Texas is more like New Mexico (desert/dry) but also includes the 2nd largest canyon in the U.S. in Palo Duro and its where the state has Big Bend National Park (on the global list for its clear nighttime skies) and the states Mountains up to 9,000 Feet which include the McDonald Observatory north of El Paso.

Around Dallas/Fort Worth in north central Texas, its a transitional area but ringed by 8 or 9 fairly large lakes and having some rolling/hilly terrain.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:26 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,366,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
23 years old with loads of job experience??

All those cheaper places to live also have a much lower pay scale, the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence

Actually, depending on his education discipline the earnings can be higher. And some companies, like Toyota North America moved to metro Dallas this year from California and NY. I don't think they asked employees to take a paycut. In fact 75% chose to relocate much more than the average 50% who move with their employer.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:48 PM

32,961 posts, read 36,433,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
3/4 of Texas looks the SAME!? Obviously you have NO idea what you are talking about and I'm a guy who lived in the Philly area, visited the Shore as a kid all the time but live now in Texas. East Texas looks NOTHING like West Texas as the 600 mile coast line looks nothing like the Hill Country.

East Texas is heavily wooded with two national forests and state forest. It has the mossy Caddo Lake, and Toledo Bend, the largest Reservoir in the south, and Sam Rayburn lake and Lake Livingston.

The Hill Country of Central Texas is an area as large as NJ itself and its scenic elevation, its very rustic feel and known for its wineries (3rd in U.S. production).

West Texas is more like New Mexico (desert/dry) but also includes the 2nd largest canyon in the U.S. in Palo Duro and its where the state has Big Bend National Park (on the global list for its clear nighttime skies) and the states Mountains up to 9,000 Feet which include the McDonald Observatory north of El Paso.

Around Dallas/Fort Worth in north central Texas, its a transitional area but ringed by 8 or 9 fairly large lakes and having some rolling/hilly terrain.
Oh, where did you stay at the NJ shore? I used to go there as a kid. Thanks mom and dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey