Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:24 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,408 times

Advertisements

I grew up in NY and I used to make fun of NJ all the time. Now that I've been living in NJ for quite some time. I think NJ is great for flexibility of what you want out of lifestyle when you want it.

NJ is one of the smallest state by land size (47 out of 51) but has pretty good size of water area (27 out of 51). What this means is New Jerseyans have great access to both outdoor and city activities. Because our state is small, you can reach beaches, lakes, or mountains with relative ease, true for nearby urban areas like Manhattan or Philadelphia.

Anywhere you live in NJ, barring traffic and weather conditions. You can get to any of it within about 1.5-2 hr by car. Whether its beach you want, mountains, trip to Philly or Manhattan. Our highway system also enables this nicely.

I think this is what is one core reasons why people live in NJ without realizing it explicitly. I mean let's be honest that people don't choose to live in NJ for our taxes or awesome gov't or governor. I can't remember last time NJ had a good governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 10:14 AM

19,134 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
I can't remember last time NJ had a good governor.
You don't remember Tom Kean?

Old 09-29-2017, 11:17 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You don't remember Tom Kean?
I certainly don't because I immigrated to US in 1989? 90? and only phrase I could speak in English was "I kant speaku engreash"

If Tom Kean was the last good NJ governor, he left governor office in 1990 and that's basically 30 years ago...

Old 09-29-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
If Tom Kean was the last good NJ governor, he left governor office in 1990 and that's basically 30 years ago...

To a fossil like me, 30 years is like...yesterday.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:34 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
NJ offers, good access to employment opportunities in the NYC metro, and north Jersey, and Philly metro, and south Jersey. However, it is a high tax state (property/real estate, income tax, etc), very highly regulated, progressive, and very horribly anti 2A. I have relatives there, and grew up going to the Jersey shore, but I could never live there. It is all what you value.
That's why we escape to PA when we can. There are good things about New Jersey, though.

I grew up in Utah, moved to NYC at age 18, then spent the next 30 years there. I knew after two trips outside the city that I'd never go back home again. Something about the physical land out here speaks to me. We moved to NJ two years ago, and I wasn't sure I'd like it, but was quite ready to move out of the city. Things I like best?

Our specific town due to: our amazing boy scout troop, how family-oriented most people in the town are, how welcoming, honest, helpful and 'real' the people I've met have been, and the little wooded, undeveloped areas scattered throughout. Also, the opportunities for the kids to pursue pretty much anything they're interested in.

And... I just experienced my first Taylor ham today. Oh yeah!

Old 10-01-2017, 07:23 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
That's why we escape to PA when we can. There are good things about New Jersey, though.

I grew up in Utah, moved to NYC at age 18, then spent the next 30 years there. I knew after two trips outside the city that I'd never go back home again. Something about the physical land out here speaks to me. We moved to NJ two years ago, and I wasn't sure I'd like it, but was quite ready to move out of the city. Things I like best?

Our specific town due to: our amazing boy scout troop, how family-oriented most people in the town are, how welcoming, honest, helpful and 'real' the people I've met have been, and the little wooded, undeveloped areas scattered throughout. Also, the opportunities for the kids to pursue pretty much anything they're interested in.

And... I just experienced my first Taylor ham today. Oh yeah!
Pork roll!

The schools were good, scouting, community activities, festivals. The two places I lived in New Jersey were--without a doubt--the nicest places that I have ever lived.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:29 AM

596 posts, read 896,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Some parts of NJ are quite nice though. I made frequent visits to Princeton which is a very nice town. Just wish can spend some more days over there. But other towns like Newark, Trenton, Atlantic City are kind of scary. NJ is expensive; but no way is it as expensive as Hawaii where I live. But heard that its property tax is many times higher than Hawaii.

The way people drive in NJ is crazy. Even on State Highway some drive up to 80 mph. And I can never get used to the jughandle and not able to pump gas by myself.
Remember; there are only two kinds of drivers. People who are going faster than you are (Maniac) and people who are going more slowly than you are (Moron).

Old 10-02-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
And I can never get used to...not able to pump gas by myself.
People in NJ are not able to pump their own gas?
Really?
Please explain how I have been able to do so for over 50 years without any problems.

Are you one of those people who believe that the mythical NJ Gasoline Police are suddenly going to pounce on you if you dare to touch the gas nozzle yourself?

Old 10-02-2017, 07:16 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,482,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Pork roll!
Taylor ham!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

Old 10-03-2017, 06:23 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
People in NJ are not able to pump their own gas?
Really?
Please explain how I have been able to do so for over 50 years without any problems.

Are you one of those people who believe that the mythical NJ Gasoline Police are suddenly going to pounce on you if you dare to touch the gas nozzle yourself?
Where is it you perform such tasks seeing I have not seen a self-serve pump in quit a while in NJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey