Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 11:35 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
on the northeast corridor
Near nyc and philly
good food
Most of the revolution took place here
NJ transit even though the state government raped it
not too many natural disasters
jersey shore
international airports
edison invented the light bulb
first electrified rail
harold and kumar go to white castle took place here
taylor ham pork roll, egg, and cheese

diverse and open to the free exchange of ideas

the world revolves new jersey

it can be paradise if just a little more effort and federal money
Hey nice idea, maybe calling it "Taylor ham pork roll" solves the decades long fight within NJ on what to call it. Just call it both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 04:11 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I hate to have to explain the obvious, but, here goes...
Many gas attendants will try to force more gas into your tank after the pump shuts off. This might make a tiny bit of sense if somebody is paying with cash, but many of these attendants will try to bring the total up to the next even dollar amount, even with a credit card customer--and in addition to making zero sense, that has the potential to cause mechanical damage to your car.

Mechanical damage?? Huh?
Because the carbon canister that is the heart of your evaporative emissions system is designed to deal only with gasoline vapor, when a tank is overfilled there is a very real potential for the excess gasoline to contaminate the carbon canister, and this can result in expensive repairs.

How expensive?
Well, I guess that it varies somewhat by make and model, but a friend of mine--who ignored my advice and chose to allow the gas attendant to make the decision of how much gas should go into his tank--wound up with a repair bill of a bit over $400 for his fairly-new Toyota Highlander. After that wallet hosing, he decided to take my advice, and to take charge of the fueling process.

Additionally, I am much more careful than a gas attendant about making sure that the gas cap is secured on its tether, instead of allowing it to bounce off of the fender--as so many gas attendants seem to do. The result is that my fender is pristine--with no dents, dings, scratches, or gas stains after 7 years--unlike a lot of newer cars.

I buy my cars for cash, maintain them flawlessly, and tend to keep them for 8-10 years, at which point I get top dollar for them because they look like they just rolled out of the showroom. If I allowed the guys as the gas station to decide how my car is fueled, my cars would not look pristine, and they would likely suffer mechanical damage, for which I would have to pay.
LOL, no. First there is an automatic shut off on most pumps and hose's,second while I to to try to "round off" to and even number I don't over fill the tank and have never had a attendant do it.Maybe your friend's Highlander had "other problems" becuase I just traded my 03 Camry in with 267,000 and got just under five grand for it ,top dollar check Kelly's BB.Your assumptions about the attendants ,while sounding nice are not real.No to say all of them are brain surgeons .....but you go way out of your way to disparage a whole group of people.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:40 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Hey nice idea, maybe calling it "Taylor ham pork roll" solves the decades long fight within NJ on what to call it. Just call it both.
That would be fine by me, but I don’t think the people from South Jersey would go for it. By putting Taylor Ham first, everyone will end up shortening it to just Taylor Ham. That would be a win for the North.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:47 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, no. First there is an automatic shut off on most pumps and hose's,second while I to to try to "round off" to and even number I don't over fill the tank and have never had a attendant do it.Maybe your friend's Highlander had "other problems" becuase I just traded my 03 Camry in with 267,000 and got just under five grand for it ,top dollar check Kelly's BB.Your assumptions about the attendants ,while sounding nice are not real.No to say all of them are brain surgeons .....but you go way out of your way to disparage a whole group of people.
Everyone has a different threshold for trusting their vehicles with others. I let them pump gas in my Range Rover that cost me six figures, but if I had a classic car, I wouldn’t let anybody else put gas in it. That is where I would draw the line. I didn’t let them pump it in my classic motorcycle when I had it. That is a piece of history that you have taken on the responsibility of preserving. You don’t trust that to some minimum wage gas station attendant.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That would be fine by me, but I don’t think the people from South Jersey would go for it. By putting Taylor Ham first, everyone will end up shortening it to just Taylor Ham. That would be a win for the North.
lol I was going to add, maybe then the issue wold be which name gets to come first. Taylor ham pork roll or pork roll Taylor ham? I have to say, Taylor ham pork roll flows better.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:24 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Everyone has a different threshold for trusting their vehicles with others. I let them pump gas in my Range Rover that cost me six figures, but if I had a classic car, I wouldn’t let anybody else put gas in it. That is where I would draw the line. I didn’t let them pump it in my classic motorcycle when I had it. That is a piece of history that you have taken on the responsibility of preserving. You don’t trust that to some minimum wage gas station attendant.

I agree ,when you start talking "classic cars " then yes I understand.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:40 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh God, yes, there ARE so many places, in NJ not even the world, that are better than Lakewood. Truthfully the bay side of the Jersey Shore east of the Pine Barrens and even within them from like mid-Ocean County down is mostly just depressing. Some nice pockets, for sure, but the further south you go, generally I think, the more depressing it gets.
In what way?

Old 10-06-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
In what way?
The area is rather economically depressed and I think a lot of it looks rather depressing.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:24 PM

27 posts, read 18,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Guess you never drove down the parkway, trnpke, 287, 78, rt 80
People on the NJ Turnpike go 80 MPH at the very least haha and yeah I drove through Texas before and the highway speed limit was 80, so you know people were going 100. Even on 295 you have people going 90 on the regular, despite all the state troopers lurking around.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:25 PM

27 posts, read 18,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Not every place is for everyone. Which is how we get places like Wyoming, Ohio, and Oklahoma.

I'm here because I like it more than other places and it's where my career is because this is literally the center of the universe for my field.
What kind of career field are you in? Just curious to see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey