Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 01:54 PM

27 posts, read 18,325 times

Advertisements

I've lived here my whole life (23 years) and am starting to realize why it's known as the "armpit of the US." It seems like it's full of people trying to keep up with the rat race of the corporate life. I know there are a few nice areas, but overall it's over industrialized and doesn't offer much in the way of fun things to do, unless you think shopping for overpriced items is fun.

If you compare the cost of living in NJ to other states it's among the highest in the whole country, but what do you get with that price? Most people would say the close proximity to NYC and Philly, but those places have high crime rates, high levels of homelessness, and they also just smell bad

The nicest park is Worthington State Forest up north and the mountains there are pathetic compared to Virginia or New Hampshire. Most of the people drive like maniacs also, I'm not trying to die on my way to get groceries haha what's the rush?

I will say that the landscape is pretty nice with all the greenery, although the winter weather can be pretty depressing.

The shore is alright I guess, but I'm not into seeing so many fat people with barely any clothes on. Plus the water is probably pretty nasty anyway, that's where all our sewage is getting dumped.

One nice thing is that it's close to a lot of stores, although I don't enjoy shopping because most of the stuff I want is online anyway or at the thrift store for 1/10th the cost

So let me know, why are you in NJ? Is it for work, good schools, close to family,etc.?

I'm currently here because I'm still finishing up my computer science degree, but once I'm done I already have loads of job experience so I can move pretty much anywhere and find a job (also remote work is a possibilty ;p ). Or if my GFs online business really kicks off I'll be her full time manager and web developer

I'd love to live in a trailer and travel around, but I may settle in a nice mountainous area close to nature with fresh local produce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 02:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
i enjoy shopping for overpriced items

Old 09-27-2017, 02:04 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,463,113 times
Yeah, NJ is expensive and. But what do you get for the $$$?

- Great scenery.
- Great schools.
- Great local services (fire, police, ambulance, etc.)
- Highly educated, affluent population.
- Some of the best restaurants and food markets in the country.
- Minimal crime, and the crime that does exist tends to be concentrated in certain areas (making it easier to avoid).

Personally, I can’t think of any place better.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
i took a peek at your profile and was reminded of this meme:

Old 09-27-2017, 02:14 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,091 times
Some parts of NJ are quite nice though. I made frequent visits to Princeton which is a very nice town. Just wish can spend some more days over there. But other towns like Newark, Trenton, Atlantic City are kind of scary. NJ is expensive; but no way is it as expensive as Hawaii where I live. But heard that its property tax is many times higher than Hawaii.

The way people drive in NJ is crazy. Even on State Highway some drive up to 80 mph. And I can never get used to the jughandle and not able to pump gas by myself.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:21 PM

97 posts, read 104,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
The way people drive in NJ is crazy. Even on State Highway some drive up to 80 mph. And I can never get used to the jughandle and not able to pump gas by myself.
You should drive on a highway in Texas, 80 mph is just getting started. Even some non highway roads have speed limits of 70 mph.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:35 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiapo View Post
You should drive on a highway in Texas, 80 mph is just getting started. Even some non highway roads have speed limits of 70 mph.
Guess you never drove down the parkway, trnpke, 287, 78, rt 80

Old 09-27-2017, 02:48 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,871,098 times
Not every place is for everyone. Which is how we get places like Wyoming, Ohio, and Oklahoma.

I'm here because I like it more than other places and it's where my career is because this is literally the center of the universe for my field.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:26 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,661 times
Close to NYC without paying NYC prices or the city resident tax.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:23 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,482,861 times
on the northeast corridor
Near nyc and philly
good food
Most of the revolution took place here
NJ transit even though the state government raped it
not too many natural disasters
jersey shore
international airports
edison invented the light bulb
first electrified rail
harold and kumar go to white castle took place here
taylor ham pork roll, egg, and cheese

diverse and open to the free exchange of ideas

the world revolves new jersey

it can be paradise if just a little more effort and federal money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey