Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 01:38 PM

193 posts, read 145,981 times

Advertisements

I think I tend to differentiate from most New Jerseyans, in that I actually enjoy the cold and snow. Fall is my favorite season, but unless I’m at the beach or doing another summer activity, I prefer winter to the heat of summer (if I had to choose between winter and summer only).

However, it seems like our days of experiencing an actual winter are done. I never bought too much into climate change, but now I realize I may have been wrong. Last February, I remember quite a few days in the high 60s and low 70s, seeing people walking around in short sleeves and shorts, etc. January was decently winter-like, but there were still some days in the high 40s and low 50s. This makes me wonder if the Eddie Bauer parka I purchased last year was a complete waste of time. I had actually bought it because my pea coat hadn’t kept me warm enough in previous years, but now winters here are so warm, I don’t really need it. Today is around 70 degrees (which is normal in October, I’ll say that), but it wouldn’t surprise me if the majority of our days December thru March are just like today.

It wouldn’t be fair to compare us to Canada or the tip top of the United States in terms of our winters (because those areas are much further north and not along the coast), but I remember several years ago when we were freezing our butts off and had to layer up to go outside. The highs would tend to stay in the 20s and 30s every day, and we would get a decent amount of snow. I did quite a bit of sledding when I was a kid, but nowadays, even if we get snow, it just melts right away because of how warm the days are. I really enjoyed living up here because we experienced all four seasons, but I may as well move down south and pay less for property if it’s going to be just as warm here. Our summers lately have been particularly brutal, with most days in the 90s and extremely humid.

I used to enjoy our winter wonderlands, but unless I’m a bad statistician, I think they are gone. And I don’t think people should be so happy and excited about this either. Why not just move down south if they want warm weather year round (and pay far less for a bigger living space)? It shouldn’t be warm enough to wear shorts on Christmas Day. It’s just not natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 07:17 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,550,769 times
I'm with you. I love the cold and snow but it doesn't look like that's going to happen this year either.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/lawrenc...campaign=alert

Old 10-22-2022, 08:42 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,646,415 times
No. Murphy and Biden won’t allow a normal winter until after the election. They’re forecasting 80 degrees with clear skies all through November and December

Old 10-23-2022, 07:06 AM

23,571 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Dam that global warming!

Maybe the heavens are doing their best to help us survive the biden administration's destructive energy policies??

Another El nina, so mild winter again.

Hopefully we can save the rivers and streams and wildlife from all the salt runoff the state and muni DOTs so generously spread....to minimal effect.

cost of gas by towns to fuel plows will be a killer for taxpayers even if a mild winter with minimal snowfall.

Winder if the threshold for gas tax collection by the state will be tripped and the gas tax raised again ..w/o permission of the taxpayers? Mild winters these days are deadlier to taxpayers in energy cost and frostbitten noses.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:01 PM

193 posts, read 145,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Dam that global warming!

Maybe the heavens are doing their best to help us survive the biden administration's destructive energy policies??

Another El nina, so mild winter again.

Hopefully we can save the rivers and streams and wildlife from all the salt runoff the state and muni DOTs so generously spread....to minimal effect.

cost of gas by towns to fuel plows will be a killer for taxpayers even if a mild winter with minimal snowfall.

Winder if the threshold for gas tax collection by the state will be tripped and the gas tax raised again ..w/o permission of the taxpayers? Mild winters these days are deadlier to taxpayers in energy cost and frostbitten noses.
It’s completely depressing. Actually, I’m not sure what’s more depressing. The fact that we may never see the temperature dip below 60 all winter or the fact that everyone else is loving it.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol210 View Post
It’s completely depressing. Actually, I’m not sure what’s more depressing. The fact that we may never see the temperature dip below 60 all winter or the fact that everyone else is loving it.
Or the fact a perfectly innocent thread about the weather was turned into a sarcastic political rant.

I bought new corduroy pants. Hope I get to wear them.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Or the fact a perfectly innocent thread about the weather was turned into a sarcastic political rant.

I bought new corduroy pants. Hope I get to wear them.

Or the fact that an adult human being actually believes the temperature in NJ won’t dip below 60 all winter.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:16 PM

551 posts, read 1,189,057 times
Oh no I hate the snow and hate turning on the heat on!! But I cant move anywhere humid either lol

Old 10-23-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Or the fact that an adult human being actually believes the temperature in NJ won’t dip below 60 all winter.
okay there's that, but last year we barely had a winter at all, so I do know what they're talking about.

Old 10-23-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
okay there's that, but last year we barely had a winter at all, so I do know what they're talking about.

I remember shoveling snow a few times last winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey