Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:41 AM

19 posts, read 94,292 times

Advertisements

BTW, what brings you to Alamogordo? Military orders? I also work on base but for Computer Sciences Corp, a government contract...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 08:36 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,282,844 times
Default Hey vonovetwin,

My husband and I are wanting to move back to Alamo, what other
contractors are there one base. He is civil service at the moment
but might consider a contractor. Hes a Support Agreements manager
in Logistics here at Vandenberg AFB. Seems like civil service is who
ya know, not what you know. Sure is hard to get back to Alamo once
you leave there. Any info appreciated. thanks

Greenchili

Old 08-01-2007, 04:16 PM

9,395 posts, read 20,898,140 times
As someone who moved here from New Jersey also, all I have to say is to be prepared for the initial shock, from the time the plane touches down in El Paso till when you drive up Rt 54 to see nothing in view for distances half the width of New Jersey. Then be even more shocked to see the dilapidated trailers by Boles Acres about 10 miles before you get to White Sands Boulevard. I remember that drive vividly, it was over 2 years ago now. My wife was horrified, and said she couldn't live there. So it was off to Las Cruces for us. Interestingly, as we've driven through the city over the past 2 years, she's become less 'offended' by it. New Jersey is a very unique state. It's the most affluent state in the country, and the most suburban. Most of the country is not laid out like New Jersey. If you've lived there your entire life, you will have a false perception of the U.S.A. at large. The more I live in this great state, the more shocked I am when I make the very occasional visit back to the East Coast. One final note, I worked at Holloman AFB for over a year, and most of the civil employees were from Alamogordo. They were some of the nicest, down to earth individuals I've had the pleasure of knowing. Every single one of them belonged to a church, so yes, religion is prominent, and it's overt. In New Jersey, people go to church, but it's more laissez faire.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,760 times
Olds Hi,

As far as your housing search, What is the address on Dewey, the reason I ask is that Dewey continues on East quite a bit. Any of the houses on Dewey East of Washington are all pretty decent and not in the flood zone. Hendrix is in the flood zone, not that there is alot of rain there but when it rains hard it always seems to flood out. I used to live on College Ave. This part of Alamo is a nice area. From College Ave. east up to Scenic Ave. are some fairly nice homes alittle older but have been kept up quite nice. Houses east of Scenic are newer homes and alittle more expensive. My kids went to Buena Vista Elem. and I was always pleased with all of the teaching staff and Principal. I don't know weather your looking for newer homes or the older "snow homes" as they were called with flat roofs. All I can tell you is that Alamogordo is a great place to raise your family. There's not alot for the kids to do, but the community center is great. My kids loved going swimming there and doing the other activities they offer. As for the crime "not bad" being a former DPS officer in Alamogordo, I can tell you that the Police department tries there hardest to patrol the neighborhoods daily. There are a few areas that have gotten bad over the years, that I would not recommend for family's due to the Meth problem. These areas are around Brookdale and Kingston Streets, and some areas off of Walker St. For the most part all of Alamogordo is pretty safe. I really enjoyed growing up in and around Alamogordo, some of the best people you'll ever meet. Hope this helps and best of luck to you and your family.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:08 PM

128 posts, read 433,189 times
Default Moving to Alamogordo

I've been reading the other threads regarding Alamogordo, and recognize this Forum as a wealth of information on an upcoming move to Alamogordo.

By way of background, My wife and I have a home in Yuma, AZ, which is on the market, and are moving to Alamogordo. If we cannot find a suitable established Site built Home, we contemplate building.

Some of our requirements for the new location are the ability to park our RV on the property, the ability to put up my 89' Amateur Radio Tower (self supporting, no guys), .5 to 2 Acres lot size, and access off of a paved road.

The cost of raw land development (Well, Septic, Electric, etc.) pushes us in the direction of a subdivision, but the above requirements may dictate otherwise.

Plans are for a 4 bedroom home approximately 2500 SqFt, with garage. The ability to construct an outbuilding for a shop and possible RV Storage would be a big plus.

My wife remains at our home most of the year, but I travel extensively providing Scoreboard and Sound for Rodeos throughout the west. In fact, we plan to go to Alamogordo on about 2 October on our way to Las Cruces to do the Sound at the Turquoise Circuit Finals Rodeo the 5-7th of October.

Of course the selling price of our home in Yuma will dictate the funding available for the Alamogordo end.

Other locations in the near vicinity of Alamogordo such as La Luz, Tularosa, and Three Rivers are also an option providing that they are similar to Alamogordo with respect to climate.

Okay, comments please!

Thanks,

George & Carolyn

Old 09-08-2007, 04:08 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,030,802 times
Hi George and Carolyn,
There are areas outside of town that could be suitable for buying or building. With the antenna and garage, I think I would contact a realtor and let them figure out where you can be. The other thing to think of is if you find the right spot with a moblie on it, take it down and build a stick built on the land.
Looking at the towns, Three Rivers is not where you would want to be. There is nothing there. But you may want to check it out for yourself.
Good luck on finding just what you want.
Jane

Old 09-09-2007, 11:52 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,714,557 times
A few areas for what your asking for come to mind.....South Alamo from the Golf course to Oliver Lee state park and also Boles Acres along the way. To the north you could check La Luz and North Tularosa out by Bookout Road.

Agree with Chilegal that Three Rivers is not an option as its an State park with the Petroglyphs and some camping. Maybe Carrizozo about 25 miles north of Three Rivers as an possibility...

Old 09-09-2007, 01:38 PM

6' 3,

I see the area you're referring to on the map.

Are there subdivisions there, or is it raw land for development?

As to Carrizozo, I think that is a bit too small a community for us, especially since I travel a lot and the Wife remains at home.

Thanks,
George

Old 09-09-2007, 01:52 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,714,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3pnt View Post
6' 3,

I see the area you're referring to on the map.

Are there subdivisions there, or is it raw land for development?
Are you talking about South Alamo ??

Old 09-09-2007, 02:37 PM

6' 3,

Yes, the area between tht Golf Course and Oliver Lee State Park.

George
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico