Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 09:41 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
Bruh. How exactly do you think humans survive on earth? Things just magically appear? This is a commonly held belief among the handout crowd in NYC. That there are tons of resources and they deserve a piece just because they exist.

Existing as a human doesn’t entitle one to anything. Merely existing on this earth is a burden. One has to produce in order to bring something of value.

Why are conspiracy theories so prevalent in the hood?
To the bolded, what's wrong? Why is existing on this earth a burden for you? I thought being middle class alleviates that? Because there is a middle class? Haha.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 10:15 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
To the bolded, what's wrong? Why is existing on this earth a burden for you? I thought being middle class alleviates that? Because there is a middle class? Haha.
Simple existence is not supposed to be a burden on society, as a whole. People are supposed to be "self sustaining", in that either they grow their own food, build their own home, and make their own clothing. It was somewhat like that, centuries ago.

Yes, we have progressed, over the years, as labor saving devices were invented and manufactured, so a few people are able to provide food, shelter, and clothing. HOWEVER, the caveat was that while a segment of the population provided the essentials, those that benefitted from this, were contributors to society in some other way.

What "blanketyblank" is getting at, I think, is there is a segment of society today, that feels absolutely no compulsion to be contributors, rather they think that they have a right to simply coast along, while "somebody else" supports them, simply because they exist. And if that is indeed what "BB" is getting at, I agree with him, 100%

Old 04-20-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Simple existence is not supposed to be a burden on society, as a whole. People are supposed to be "self sustaining", in that either they grow their own food, build their own home, and make their own clothing. It was somewhat like that, centuries ago.

Yes, we have progressed, over the years, as labor saving devices were invented and manufactured, so a few people are able to provide food, shelter, and clothing. HOWEVER, the caveat was that while a segment of the population provided the essentials, those that benefitted from this, were contributors to society in some other way.
So essentially, people's ability to be self-sustaining got taken away. Interesting.

Quote:
What "blanketyblank" is getting at, I think, is there is a segment of society today, that feels absolutely no compulsion to be contributors, rather they think that they have a right to simply coast along, while "somebody else" supports them, simply because they exist. And if that is indeed what "BB" is getting at, I agree with him, 100%
There's always people in life that try to slide by. Have you ever had a co-worker that slacked, or had a group project in college and one person didn't work as hard as the others? It's something we all won't be able to avoid. I can't let things that I have no control over disturb my peace.

Old 04-20-2024, 01:37 PM

1,302 posts, read 332,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I wish recipients of handouts would understand just how meager those are and must be. Most of the lucre sticks to the distribution mechanism.
You assume many of these people want to work/ expend effort. Many are content with expending the minimum effort they can get away with.

Old 04-20-2024, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Don’t let the *playing the fool act* fool you.

The problem with people like the one you’re responding to is that they’re too embarrassed to admit they take advantage of handouts but they defend handouts until death on some holier than though moral and ideological grounds.

It’s like asking a bank robber if it’s OK to rob banks. Their opinion is irrelevant because they’ll never admit to their true agenda.

Old 04-20-2024, 03:00 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
You assume many of these people want to work/ expend effort. Many are content with expending the minimum effort they can get away with.
what I am saying is that the migrants do not understand how meager the handouts are. The handouts are a fraction of the money that goes through the system. It happens to be a very inefficient method of relieving poverty.

Old 04-21-2024, 06:36 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
what I am saying is that the migrants do not understand how meager the handouts are. The handouts are a fraction of the money that goes through the system. It happens to be a very inefficient method of relieving poverty.
You have to remember where they are coming from.

Our welfare programs create the richest poor among all the countries

Old 04-21-2024, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

Exactly. To us, handouts seem meager but many residents of NYC are very content with living on handouts for decades so imagine someone coming from a legitimately destitute background.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:40 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

Exactly! Especially when you consider that many of the "poor" still have food in their stomachs, clothes on their backs, and a roof over their heads, while not doing a single bit of work, in order to have this stuff.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Exactly! Especially when you consider that many of the "poor" still have food in their stomachs, clothes on their backs, and a roof over their heads, while not doing a single bit of work, in order to have this stuff.
If they have it so made, why do you guys even bother working

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City