Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,808 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with you LLovely. My mother died and I kept her apartment and now they are asking me to give it up and I don"t feel it is fair. This has been my home for 30 years. Why should I have to give up my home so that they can move in more trash. My development was a wonderful place to grow up and now we have 1 worker cleaning 8 buildings. SMDH! I dont give a damn who is waiting for a bigger apartment that is not my problem. I am going to fill out the transfer only so that they will not be able to stick me just anywhere. But i will only move to a smaller apartment in my same building. I will not move to any other building that is drug infested. My building is the only good building left out here. I do not want one of those "barbie doll" apartments. I guess i will just do what the foreigners do and start having kids....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,808 times
I would only move if I stayed in the same building. all of the surrounding buildings are drug infested and I refuse to deal with that garbage. It may seem selfish but I really do not give a damn. Honestly before housing begins shuffling around people they need to get rid of the garbage that is here already. they want bigger apartments to move more trash in. That is ridiculous! The reality of the situation is that half of the people on the waiting list are not married, hard working people. They are people who need bigger apartments because welfare supports them which gives them time to keep popping out baby after baby. I guess to keep my 2 bedroom I should have a baby then tell housing to kiss my a$$ huh?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,525 times
I couldn't help feeling amused at the strong feelings of entitlement expressed by the incumbents who don't want to move out of their apartments to make way for needier families.

In the same way, old people who benefit from Social Security and Medicare, farmers who benefit from subsidies, and other "rent-seekers" (as they're called in economics) will fight tooth and nail to keep their benefits.

That's the way to go: protect entrenched interests, a la Greece.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:11 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
Gottogetawyer it is NOT your apartment nor was it your mother's. You want your OWN apartment then go buy one and stop living off the one you rent and acting all entitled like it's all yours. You should be counting your blessing you were able to live off the city and had it for 30 years

Old 12-06-2011, 05:19 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
I couldn't help feeling amused at the strong feelings of entitlement expressed by the incumbents who don't want to move out of their apartments to make way for needier families.

In the same way, old people who benefit from Social Security and Medicare, farmers who benefit from subsidies, and other "rent-seekers" (as they're called in economics) will fight tooth and nail to keep their benefits.

That's the way to go: protect entrenched interests, a la Greece.
This is one reason why rents are high. The natural apartment cycle is frozen.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,228 times
I have read a lot of the comments about housing forcing tenants to smaller apartments, and I agree that, if you are a single person living in a 3 bedroom apartment you should be downsized for a family that needs the space. I'm curious to know, what comments would you have for a working single mother, with a fairly good job, taking care of her 9yr old daughter, being forced from her two bedroom, to a one bedroom. With that said, with rent being as high as it is now, who can really afford to live else where without another income in the household.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,132 times
Fu*k that $hit im all by myself in a two bedroom apt and i have lived here 26 years and i understand how people feel about familes that need apts but im not going to transfer from a community that i have known my whole life where its safe for me, and where there are cameras to move to a bad neighborhood with a high crime rate and one day get shot just because i decided to step out into a new community and the people there do no like me. dont make a family if u have to struggle and push aside the next family that has worked their whole entire life to get where the are at now. i know people are struggling but that's not my fault and nor housings. its the people who need the apartments fault and im not paying for their mistakes in life.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
The above poster is a perfect example of the entitlement mentality that we have bred. Somehow it has escaped these people that for 26 years they have sponged off of taxpayers, and believe they have "worked hard to get where they are today." It is the same place they were 26 years ago!!!!!!!

It is all about ME ME ME...who cares about anyone else...I "deserve" this and that...yet they are living off taxpayers. Holy S*&$!. And to speak with such audacity as if they earned anything is the most preposterous thing I have ever heard ....they need a reality check. Someone who "worked hard to get where they are today" would be OUT of the housing projects, not in the same one and same apt for 26 years! Geez.

Reality Check: You don't own the apt, never have and never will, nor are you entitled to live in an apt size of your choosing. The apts are based on NEED, which include income and family size, and NYCHA reserves the right to move people (and adjust your rent up or down) based on changing income and occupants. Be thankful they will move you to a 1 bedroom and simply not evict you..cuz that's what happens in the real world.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:35 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Yep - any subsidized housing should be administered on as a need-based system. If your single and in a 2 or 3 bed, and there's a waiting list of desparate people with kids - you need to go to a 1 bed.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkcalderon View Post
Fu*k that $hit im all by myself in a two bedroom apt and i have lived here 26 years and i understand how people feel about familes that need apts but im not going to transfer from a community that i have known my whole life where its safe for me, and where there are cameras to move to a bad neighborhood with a high crime rate and one day get shot just because i decided to step out into a new community and the people there do no like me. dont make a family if u have to struggle and push aside the next family that has worked their whole entire life to get where the are at now. i know people are struggling but that's not my fault and nor housings. its the people who need the apartments fault and im not paying for their mistakes in life.
..? You haven't worked to get where you are now. You use taxpayer assistance to subsidize your lifestyle. As long as you take a check (in the form of housing subsidy) from NYCHA, you have to do what they tell you. Just like as long as you take a check from your boss/company, you have to do what they tell you to do. That's life. And just like at your job, you can QUIT if you don't like it. If you don't like the way NYCHA does things, how about you end your relationship with them and try to go get an apartment on your own? When YOU are solely responsible for your life, YOU get to make decisions. Since you ARENT solely responsible for your financial well being, you don't get sole say in your life. Surely this is a simple concept you can understand?

You don't have a say in your living situation because you don't choose to pay for it yourself. If a college kid was taking money from his parents to pay for his apartment, then he would have to take whatever they are willing to pay. The same goes for people like you that live off the government.

I totally support a government safety net for those people who cannot help themselves. But it's a safety "net". Not a safety "hammock" where you get comfortable and stay there for the rest of your life. For 26 years you have used tax payer assitance to live, and now you want to deny that to another person in dire straights because you may be slightly inconvenienced? Lord...the hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City