Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,852,638 times

Advertisements

Very surreal, being quoted in the post. I would not say that either I nor Linkcalderon are reputable sources for information, but it's interesting none the less.

I don't remember what I implied about you whitlock. You probably deserved it at the time, but I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. Sometimes I am very direct and unfiltered. Virtual hugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 AM

65 posts, read 81,620 times
Whitlock probably has a 15,000 page book on all the slights and negative implications about him (50% of which are from me), so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,256,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Very surreal, being quoted in the post. I would not say that either I nor Linkcalderon are reputable sources for information, but it's interesting none the less.

I don't remember what I implied about you whitlock. You probably deserved it at the time, but I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. Sometimes I am very direct and unfiltered. Virtual hugs.
Agreed.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:00 AM

130 posts, read 163,412 times
Wait a minute. I have a solution that may benefit more sides. I think we should let the single person keep one rooms of the apartment (plus access to bathroom), and move in extra people instead on whatever NYCHA's waiting list (3-4 family members) and erect a wall with a door to separate the larger apartments (for 4-6 bedroom apartments). That way the 'single' dwellers in NYCHA can at least accommodate more people and we can subdivide the 5-6 bedroom apartments. Perhaps we should not kick people out of their homes, but move more people in so it will meet up to the # standard. And, if they prefer not to have more people move in with them, NYCHA can mandate them to live in a one bedroom apartment.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,144,220 times
Now the NY Times is weighing in on this issue.

March 12, 2012
Alone in Public Housing, With a Spare Bedroom

After 40 years living in her Manhattan apartment, Shirley Jones has accumulated a lifetime of mementos: pictures of yawning babies, colonies of tiny figurines, photographs of relatives, and a small collection of stuffed animals crowded onto a chair in the living room. Ms. Jones, 70, moved into her apartment, in the Amsterdam Houses on West 63rd Street, with her son when she was 30 years old and has lived there ever since.

Shirley Jones, 70, lives alone in her Manhattan two-bedroom apartment, which she has occupied for 40 years. The New York City Housing Authority has asked her to downsize. But last month, she opened a letter that said it was time for her to go: Ms. Jones lives alone in a public housing development, taking up a two-bedroom apartment that she no longer requires.

click link for article

Old 03-13-2012, 08:19 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,082,400 times
NYC's system of welfare is probably the least ambitious in the USA on getting people to rise beyond the system. This woman should be punished by having to live with a roomate in a 1 bedroom for the 15 years she deprived someone else of a place.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:46 AM

32 posts, read 39,058 times
Well I have 4 bedroom 1&1/2 bathrooms in NYCHA and I'm under crowded so I just recently put in a transfer on 4-15-15. I wasn't asked to down grade, I did it on my own because a lot of my kids are grown & not here with me anymore. So my question is... Will I be waiting a long time to get called for a smaller apartment quick? Has anyone had a situation like mine or know someone who has. Does anyone know the process for NYCHA on under crowded situations. I heard that giving up a room can be a more quicker process than upgrading to a bigger apartment. Is this true. Does anyone know the longest that I'll be waiting. I feel like I did the right thing by going to my housing assistant and not being selfish holding on to all these rooms when I know some definetly need it more than me. I pray with that being said that someone be able to tell me something about how long I should be waiting? I really pray that it's not too long. Im praying. Please tell me something.... Somebody! I'm ready to move now.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:15 AM

63 posts, read 126,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
You are living there for free, correct? I would think that alone gives them the right to move you.

The law you probably need to be researching is do they have to help you move b/c you are sick, I would think they would , but if you are not paying to live there, then i would think you have no claim on the apartment.

What is the reason they gave for making you move?
I don't think most NYCHA apartments are free. I think tenants pay rent that is based on their income, no? I don't know anyone who lives in a NYCHA apartment who pays absolutely nothing.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,264 times
It is so true now I'm in same predicament since my sons moved out they finally have a 2br to put me in after 2yrs telling me underoccupied.Yesterday showed me a small 2br that may not accommodate all my stuff I have in my livingrm or bedrooms but I'm told to be moved out in 2wks impossible need more time than that. I feel like I'm being forced to accept and move because they see opportunity to make more money on my apt.If they requested transfer not me is this legal to do tell somebody to pack up in 2wks and move to other apt.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:29 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,243,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delitha hodge View Post
It is so true now I'm in same predicament since my sons moved out they finally have a 2br to put me in after 2yrs telling me underoccupied.Yesterday showed me a small 2br that may not accommodate all my stuff I have in my livingrm or bedrooms but I'm told to be moved out in 2wks impossible need more time than that. I feel like I'm being forced to accept and move because they see opportunity to make more money on my apt.If they requested transfer not me is this legal to do tell somebody to pack up in 2wks and move to other apt.
Here's the Issue you don't own the apartment and you are not entitled to stay.
You should be grateful you even have an apartment.
MANY MANY MANY people come to this board talking about waiting years to get into NYCHA.
They would be so grateful to get that apartment.
This world isn't about just you and your apartment you are currently in.
MANY large families are homeless and in shelters waiting for an apartment to open up in Nycha and mean while you have one and don't want to give it up cause your new owe doesn't suit your needs.

Put yourself in others shoes, how would you like it if you were homeless when an apartment was available.
What if someone had an apartment in nycha but was never there. They spend 365 days a year at another place but kept their nycha apt just to keep it all the while you live on the streets. That apartment at nycha could've been used for you but that person was too selfish to give it up.
Now IF you want to live in an apartment large enough for you and all your personally belongings you can get your own apartment in the area and pay market rent. You don't have to downgrade you just can't use an apartment that you don't need when others do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City