Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:38 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
There are a number of reasons Wilmington WILL become a good size city and fairly major metro area (its about 350K now).

1) They are lots of downtown waterfront plans in place and more to come.
2) It is just now getting a highway....still about 5 years or so from fully being completed. That new highway will open up even more territory for development.
3) People will continue to relocate from the North toward the Coast. And Wilmington supports the growth occurring in Brunswick and Pender Counties, two of the fastest in the State.
4) RiverLights subdivision...this could support 5-8k folks when it is developed and it is already in the city limits. As well Wilmington has modified its ordinances to allow for lots of mixed use infill type developments or redevelopments.
"2) It is just now getting a highway." What highway is that?

Interstate 40 runs right into Wilmington now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 01:14 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"2) It is just now getting a highway." What highway is that?

Interstate 40 runs right into Wilmington now.
Interstate 40 runs TO Wilmington, but didn't provide any way of getting around Wilmington. I-140 is being built in stages. It currently runs from 421 to 17...but a section is being built between 74 and 17 now with a section to follow between 74 and 421. Then the Hampstead Bypass will be built extending toward Surf City.

So essentially, an Interstate is now being built in Brunswick County and another will be built in Pender County to provide mobility in the Wilmington area, rather than just a dropoff point. Would be nice to see the State get serious about connecting I-140 with 31 in South Carolina, linking Wilmington and Myrtle Beach which have significant traffic between them, especially in the summer.

I am willing to bet that the new DOT ways of justifying funding for roads actually HELPS the coast, which see dramatic traffic increases in the summer months. There has been little "mobility" road improvements...however the Triad area seems to have 5 interstates going through it.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:19 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Interstate 40 runs TO Wilmington, but didn't provide any way of getting around Wilmington. I-140 is being built in stages. It currently runs from 421 to 17...but a section is being built between 74 and 17 now with a section to follow between 74 and 421. Then the Hampstead Bypass will be built extending toward Surf City.

So essentially, an Interstate is now being built in Brunswick County and another will be built in Pender County to provide mobility in the Wilmington area, rather than just a dropoff point. Would be nice to see the State get serious about connecting I-140 with 31 in South Carolina, linking Wilmington and Myrtle Beach which have significant traffic between them, especially in the summer.

I am willing to bet that the new DOT ways of justifying funding for roads actually HELPS the coast, which see dramatic traffic increases in the summer months. There has been little "mobility" road improvements...however the Triad area seems to have 5 interstates going through it.
"Originally Posted by HP91 There are a number of reasons Wilmington WILL become a good size city and fairly major metro area (its about 350K now).

1) They are lots of downtown waterfront plans in place and more to come.
2) It is just now getting a highway....still about 5 years or so from fully being completed. That new highway will open up even more territory for development.
3) People will continue to relocate from the North toward the Coast. And Wilmington supports the growth occurring in Brunswick and Pender Counties, two of the fastest in the State.
4) RiverLights subdivision...this could support 5-8k folks when it is developed and it is already in the city limits. As well Wilmington has modified its ordinances to allow for lots of mixed use infill type developments or redevelopments.

While personally, I will be very happy when 140 is completed to 17, I don't see how it will affect downtown Wilmington.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:53 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
There are a number of reasons Wilmington WILL become a good size city and fairly major metro area (its about 350K now).
Actually it's about 260K now; in the last MSA revisions, Brunswick County was taken from Wilmington's MSA and given to Myrtle Beach's. I don't know the justification behind that because the stats I've seen show that more people from Brunswick County travel to New Hanover County than Horry County for work, but that's what happened. I think it will eventually be re-added to Wilmington's MSA--if Wilmington's and Myrtle Beach's MSA don't combine to form a coastal Carolina CSA first.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:17 AM

I-140 will not affect downtown Wilmington...the item of downtown waterfront plans is a separate issue.

For example...here are a few recent articles about waterfront developments in downtown Wilmington...

Riverfront, Water Street redesign steps continue | Port City Daily
This is in reference to Water Street...which is also related to the redevelopment of the Water St parking deck site.

City wants ideas for north waterfront park development | Port City Daily
This is in reference to the North Waterfront Park being developed.

Judge sides with city in challenge over convention center hotel | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News
This is in reference to the new Embassy Suites to be built next to the Convention Center.

Northern riverfront development plans fall into place | StarNewsOnline.com
This article talks about plans in place for 2 restaurants, a Hotel indigo, the marina and 278 unit Apts....as well as mentioning the 112 unit City Block apts currently under construction.

Sneak Peek at new Cape Fear Community College Humanities and Fine Arts Center | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News
And CFCC keeps growing with its Performing Arts Center under construction.

And when you cross the Memorial Bridge you can clearly see the opportunities that exist there. They will likely be further into the future, but won't remain vacant forever.

Last edited by HP91; 07-15-2014 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually it's about 260K now; in the last MSA revisions, Brunswick County was taken from Wilmington's MSA and given to Myrtle Beach's. I don't know the justification behind that because the stats I've seen show that more people from Brunswick County travel to New Hanover County than Horry County for work, but that's what happened. I think it will eventually be re-added to Wilmington's MSA--if Wilmington's and Myrtle Beach's MSA don't combine to form a coastal Carolina CSA first.
One thing that affected that change was the Myrtle Beach bound traffic using 40 and I-140 bypass which distorted the traffic flow toward Myrtle Beach, even though that was mostly through traffic. After 140 gets finished, it will stop the flow of Myrtle Beach traffic down 421, and using 17 through Leland.

The Wilmington region obviously includes Leland south to Southport....heck the I-140 loop is in Brunswick County and is part of the "urban loop" for Wilmington. By next census, Brunswick Forest development alone will shift the population toward Wilmington.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
One thing that affected that change was the Myrtle Beach bound traffic using 40 and I-140 bypass which distorted the traffic flow toward Myrtle Beach, even though that was mostly through traffic. After 140 gets finished, it will stop the flow of Myrtle Beach traffic down 421, and using 17 through Leland.

The Wilmington region obviously includes Leland south to Southport....heck the I-140 loop is in Brunswick County and is part of the "urban loop" for Wilmington. By next census, Brunswick Forest development alone will shift the population toward Wilmington.
Ahhhhh, that helps to shed light on things. Thanks for that bit of info.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:13 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:

Of the total traffic on US17 in between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, what percentage destination is towards Myrtle, vs Wilmington (I don't mean return traffic).

I would assume more traffic is going south vs north, which would quell any attempt from NCDOT to break barriers allowing people to get to (& spend money in) Myrtle.

One of the big, but not only, issues with Myrtle is its relative isolation from the rest of the country. There aren't any freeways attaching it to the interstate system, which I find really weird.

What needs to happen is to extend Interstate 20 from Florence 40 miles to the Conway bypass. Then extend it another 40 miles towards the future I-140 bypass in Wilmington. That would give Wilmington a second Interstate, and maybe enough reason to fully support the idea.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:15 PM

I see a interstate road between Wilmington and Myrtle as helping Brunswick County and Wilmington more than Myrtle. I-40 is already to preferred route and we all know that the Grand Strand continues to expand, but it won't go as much south as it would be to stretch TOWARD Wilmington. And we all know the beach communities in Brunswick and New Hanover are much different than Myrtle. Its a tourism thing...think about getting some of that Myrtle out of state traffic to come to Wilmington if you had a real road.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
What needs to happen is to extend Interstate 20 from Florence 40 miles to the Conway bypass. Then extend it another 40 miles towards the future I-140 bypass in Wilmington. That would give Wilmington a second Interstate, and maybe enough reason to fully support the idea.
SC isn't remotely interested in extending I-20 towards the state line; it doesn't want to help Wilmington compete with SC's ports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina