Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
I dunno, a lot of towns and counties are slowly getting rid of trailer parks as the structures end their useful life. Even out in the sticks.

There was a bill filed in the general assembly this year trying to halt it, no doubt written and paid for by a mobile home dealer or manufacturer's trade association.
Environmental issues are rapidly squeezing out mobile home parks...septic requirements have gotten stricter and active communities are pushing parks to comply or tie into sewer, which is costly. Most MHP owners decide to redevelop the sites, kick all the mobile homes out and sell out to a developer that will build apartments.

That, IMO is called progress...replace substandard housing with standard housing. Those same folks would be better off (safer) renting an apartment than living in a mobile home, which can be a death trap in a storm or with a fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 11:57 AM

910 posts, read 1,318,593 times
Well yeah, I'm just saying stricter ordinances on mobile homes isn't a Mebane thing. It's happening all over the state.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:25 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times
Reading through this thread, this has been a very good read, and i will contribute aswell, Mind the massive year Bump but here it goes. As of 2014, i think the cities that are currently booming or set to really boom are Greensboro and W-S, Greensboro just seems to keep landing big name World HQ's and other international venues via it's amenities(Coliseum area) and rapidly becoming a transportation Hub.W-S on the other hand is moving rapidly pushing Biotechnology and health care(Winston to get a light rail to Baptist medical) aswell as pushing the city of the arts. Both cities have completely revamped there respective downtown areas, with lots of planned construction moving forward or breaking ground. There is energy in GSO and W-S that was not there just a few years ago, And that attracts people, good economics and energy.

Also both cities have seen a massive boom in residents moving downtown, Another plus for downtown economics.

W-S and GSO have some massive strengths in attracting big names, seem to be doing it quite well. They stand out rather well.

JMO.

Greenville is another one though, man it's growing fast...

I think a Bootown that could have been was definitely Lexington NC before all the furniture factories left, iv'e heard some great stories about the old Lexington and how it really was a Boomtown...shame.

Last edited by YinXyang; 07-10-2014 at 03:34 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
In the long-long run I could see the Triad cities making a comeback. I could see this occurring maybe 20-30 years down the line, when real estate in the Triangle and Charlotte becomes very pricey and the Triad begins to look like an affordable deal.

Of course Greensboro and Winston will continue slowly growing in that time.

I kind of wish Asheville and Wilmington were larger than they are. They're destined to always be tourist towns at the rate they're going. Wilmington gets props for revitalizing its downtown. It's a much more attractive place now, but it's still not quite a city yet.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:13 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
In the long-long run I could see the Triad cities making a comeback. I could see this occurring maybe 20-30 years down the line, when real estate in the Triangle and Charlotte becomes very pricey and the Triad begins to look like an affordable deal.

Of course Greensboro and Winston will continue slowly growing in that time.
"Making a comeback" would seem to indicate some kind of bottoming out and that most certainly has not been the case. Winston Salem and Greensboro grew by 14.5% and 12.5% respectively since 2000, which in the case of cities with populations well in excess of 200K is pretty respectable growth. Business leaders are taking notice of a lower cost of living than the Triangle or Charlotte, very favorable geography/infrastructure and a well-skilled workforce in many instances. If there's going to be another boom town scenario in NC my bet would be on Greensboro/Winston-Salem.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:41 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
"Making a comeback" would seem to indicate some kind of bottoming out and that most certainly has not been the case. Winston Salem and Greensboro grew by 14.5% and 12.5% respectively since 2000, which in the case of cities with populations well in excess of 200K is pretty respectable growth. Business leaders are taking notice of a lower cost of living than the Triangle or Charlotte, very favorable geography/infrastructure and a well-skilled workforce in many instances. If there's going to be another boom town scenario in NC my bet would be on Greensboro/Winston-Salem.
Very true...Detroit or Cleveland may make a comeback. The Triad cities never went anywhere.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Wilmington has a shot. It has a sense of place and is located close to the coast; if they could land a major manufacturer, that could be a major boon.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 PM

277 posts, read 435,951 times
Wilmington and Greenville

Old 07-13-2014, 03:08 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
While NC is blessed to have a large, economic center like Charlotte and a powerful university triangle, what other cities/towns (small or mid-sized) could also have a bright future?
I don't know about cities but,

"Brunswick County fastest-growing county in NC, 47th-fastest in nation
3/28/2014 4:09:24 PM by Amanda Hutcheson
Brunswick County is the fastest-growing county in North Carolina, and is the 47th-fastest growing county in the nation, according to figures released from the U.S. Census Bureau Thursday."

Brunswick County fastest-growing county in NC, 47th-fastest in nation

Old 07-14-2014, 11:28 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wilmington has a shot. It has a sense of place and is located close to the coast; if they could land a major manufacturer, that could be a major boon.
There are a number of reasons Wilmington WILL become a good size city and fairly major metro area (its about 350K now).

1) They are lots of downtown waterfront plans in place and more to come.
2) It is just now getting a highway....still about 5 years or so from fully being completed. That new highway will open up even more territory for development.
3) People will continue to relocate from the North toward the Coast. And Wilmington supports the growth occurring in Brunswick and Pender Counties, two of the fastest in the State.
4) RiverLights subdivision...this could support 5-8k folks when it is developed and it is already in the city limits. As well Wilmington has modified its ordinances to allow for lots of mixed use infill type developments or redevelopments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina