Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:44 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times

Advertisements

Many may choose to not go to Wegman's since their needs are covered by Food Lion or HT, but, make no mistake, Wegman's will be the best managed, most complete market in the Triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 11:15 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Wegman's and Publix's expansion into and across North Carolina should cause inferior supermarket participants to get their act together or see their stores close. Fewer supermarket participants in North Carolina are likely in a few years.
Existing grocery chains are not likely to leave with the population growth North Carolina is having.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:27 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Existing grocery chains are not likely to leave with the population growth North Carolina is having.
I would disagree. Inferior participants are not adding stores and are closing stores. Bi-Lo would be an inferior participant as it has closed and divested stores across North Carolina, and operates in fewer markets.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:48 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Wegman's and Publix's expansion into and across North Carolina should cause inferior supermarket participants to get their act together or see their stores close. Fewer supermarket participants in North Carolina are likely in a few years.
Food Lion caters to an entirely different market, doubtful Publix or Wegmans will have any significant revenue impact. As for HT, it'll be around in some form or fashion. Too many loyal customers like myself who have lived in markets with both Wegmans and Publix stores but still like Teeter for grocery, etc and don't need all the bells and whistles from Wegmans.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Food Lion caters to an entirely different market, doubtful Publix or Wegmans will have any significant revenue impact. As for HT, it'll be around in some form or fashion. Too many loyal customers like myself who have lived in markets with both Wegmans and Publix stores but still like Teeter for grocery, etc and don't need all the bells and whistles from Wegmans.
Food Lion has struggled in and exited markets where Publix and Walmart Neighborhood Market have a presence or has entered. Food Lion's parent, Delhaize, announced in a press release today it will complete its merger with Ahold before the end of the month. Ahold Delhaize would have work to do to bring Food Lion up to a standard with Giant-Carlisle, Giant-Landover, Hannaford, Martin's, and Stop & Shop.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:40 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Food Lion has struggled in and exited markets where Publix and Walmart Neighborhood Market have a presence or has entered. Food Lion's parent, Delhaize, announced in a press release today it will complete its merger with Ahold before the end of the month. Ahold Delhaize would have work to do to bring Food Lion up to a standard with Giant-Carlisle, Giant-Landover, Hannaford, Martin's, and Stop & Shop.
Cool, still think Food Lion will be ok. Interesting take on things....

Grocery wars: Harris Teeter takes top spot, but Wal-Mart still going strong | The Charlotte Observer

Old 07-12-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Cool, still think Food Lion will be ok. Interesting take on things....

Grocery wars: Harris Teeter takes top spot, but Wal-Mart still going strong | The Charlotte Observer
Every participant in the Charlotte area excluding supermarket newcomers Publix and Walmart Neighborhood Market lost market share. I will be curious to see how market share in the Charlotte area changes over the next two years as Publix increases its store count, limited assortment/discount grocer Lidl opens stores, and Bi-Lo's speculated exit from the area and North Carolina.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:50 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
I don't think Publix or Wegmans are going to close any stores in regards to any NC location. Since publix has been here, there are a bunch of people that still go to Food Lion either because it's closer to where they live or they perceive it to be expensive(I for one actually find the prices and publix decent and find that they have a bunch of bogo items, so what folks are getting in FL(at least for the basics) you are actually get two in some cases at publix).

In Cary you have a bunch of grocery stores, including 2 publix with another one planned. Not one of them has stop folks from going to the other stores, since people will go to what is convenient, plus no one store has it all. There's a paticurlar sausage I like that I only find at publix, I prefer trader joes eggs, and even lowes eggs versus publix, etc etc.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:06 PM

If I want to pay higher prices at a supermarket that does not have what I need, I will go to Food Lion. As it is fewer stores, that is not a problem. For lower prices and necessities, I can go to Harris Teeter, Ingle's, Kroger, and Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Wegman's is a different supermarket I will have to experience when it arrives.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:33 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,294 times
Quote:
Every participant in the Charlotte area excluding supermarket newcomers Publix and Walmart Neighborhood Market lost market share. I will be curious to see how market share in the Charlotte area changes over the next two years as Publix increases its store count, limited assortment/discount grocer Lidl opens stores, and Bi-Lo's speculated exit from the area and North Carolina.

The way they calculate or raise those market share figures is highly questionable. As far as I know they do telephone surveys and ask at which grocery store the interviewed person spend the most money in the last month or week. Or they just take the national average of revenues for one store and multiply them with the number of stores in a certain area. That leads to extremely inaccurate market share figures.

It's practically impossible to calculate reliable market share figures for relative small areas. To get reliable data they would need to raise the spending habits of at least 1,000 households throughout a whole year. Or they had to add all receipts from all stores in the area over at least a few weeks. But that would be way to expensive.

They even publish data for much smaller areas:

Top 20 Fredericksburg-area grocery stores by market share - Fredericksburg.com: Local Business

There is no way that there are able to quantify the revenues accurately for such a small number of stores.

In Ireland for example Kantar has changed it's calculation method. By using a different method the market share of Aldi and Lidl jumped from about 17% to about 22%. Just by using a differen method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina