Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:10 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times

Advertisements

They're not teenagers! Oh, wait.......

Old 04-07-2016, 10:43 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,196,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Why would Raleigh hate Charlotte?
You'd have to ask them.

All I know is this:

Grew up in Charlotte. Had no problem with "Raleigh" or anywhere, really.

Went to school in Raleigh at NC State, heard a lot of people bashing Charlotte! It was an eye-opening experience.

Folks'll say they don't... and they are probably telling the truth. But fact remains, I never heard any trash talking about cities and towns (well, maybe with the exception of Gastonia ) until I moved away from CLT and heard what people in the other parts of the state talked about!

Old 04-07-2016, 10:52 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
My husband grew up in Charlotte and he and his friends who got out bash it. I've never really heard anyone else do it. He's not a fan, unfortunately for him the rest of his family still lives there so he has to go back to visit them. I don't care for either one that much — too big for me — but they're both better than Fayetteville where I grew up!

Absolutely no basis to any Charlotte vs Raleigh rivalry having anything whatsoever to do with this law. There's a LOT of basis for the Republicans in the state legislature wanting to control what cities do like when they tried to take over Charlotte's airport and Asheville's water supply and restructure Greensboro's city council. That's what this is all about. It's not about bathrooms.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:16 AM

464 posts, read 523,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Raleigh and Charlotte are basically on the same page when it comes this issue; it has nothing to do with a city vs city rivalry and let's not forget that McCrory is a Charlottean.
I don't think they are.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:26 AM

464 posts, read 523,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
You'd have to ask them.

All I know is this:

Grew up in Charlotte. Had no problem with "Raleigh" or anywhere, really.

Went to school in Raleigh at NC State, heard a lot of people bashing Charlotte! It was an eye-opening experience.

Folks'll say they don't... and they are probably telling the truth. But fact remains, I never heard any trash talking about cities and towns (well, maybe with the exception of Gastonia ) until I moved away from CLT and heard what people in the other parts of the state talked about!
It's the exact opposite for me. CD proves it lol. With the way the Triangle is booming why hate?

Old 04-07-2016, 11:31 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
I don't care for Charlotte it has too much of a low country south carolina vibe I don't know it's current character that well with immigration but that's my sense of the "resident" population

dale earnhardt nascar waahooo

Old 04-07-2016, 11:38 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Forgive me if this has already been discussed , but how much do you think that the recent law passed in Raleigh for the entire state to follow was due to Raleigh vs Charlotte rivalry?
Zero. The GA hates both cities and continually tries to punish both of them for their insolence.

When Raleigh voted Republicans completely off their schoolboard--for the busing fiasco they caused, and for politicizing the duties of schoolboard--which had operated independently from politics until then, the General Assembly responded by shifting some of the power from the schoolboard to Wake County Board of Commissioners, which was still held by a Republican majority at the time. Raleigh then responded by voting out every single Republican on that board as well in the following election, and nearly every Republican in every seat of local government. Being the sore losers that they are, the GA responded by overstepping their Constitutional abilities and gerrymandering all of these seats for future races, after which Raleigh democrats STILL managed to win majorities in the city council and schoolboard. The BOC race was set to presidential election years now to try to improve Republican turnout and make the gerrymandering actually work. We'll see if it does.

Republicans were competitive in these seats when they were moderates, back in the day. The GA is trying to push teabaggers into local offices though and that's simply too conservative to be viable in Wake County.

They also lost a lot of good graces in Raleigh by retroactively canceling the Dorothea Dix deal that governor Perdue had set up the previous year--rewriting the deal to force Raleigh taxpayers to pay several times as much for the property.

They've also targeted Charlotte, Asheville, and Greensboro with various things over this time.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:47 AM

530 posts, read 637,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
I don't think they are.

I don't know what you are implying . The triangle area is generally considered more liberal than Charlotte is.

Amendment One was voted down by a higher margin in Wake County than in Mecklenburg County. And both of them pale in comparison to Durham and Orange county where it was voted down by huge margins.

It is not the triangle that had a problem with Charlotte's LGBT ordinance, I don't understand how anyone could think this. Map: Amendment One county-by-county breakdown | myfox8.com

Old 04-07-2016, 11:55 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,599 times
No one in Charlotte outside of City Data thinks of Raleigh to begin with. The state capital is still playing catch up.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:21 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There's a LOT of basis for the Republicans in the state legislature wanting to control what cities do like when they tried to take over Charlotte's airport and Asheville's water supply and restructure Greensboro's city council.
They also tried to stop Wilson from expanding their city-owned Greenlight fiber-optic internet service once Time Warner threw a hissy fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina